Author Topic: blast from the past  (Read 10700 times)

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
blast from the past
« on: September 22, 2017, 07:28:18 PM »
Remember when they used to fire the cannon at the closing ceremony?
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
Re: blast from the past
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 11:35:51 AM »
Great picture...I remember taking part in those ceremonies during my time in the attractions department in the early 1980s.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 09:41:44 PM »
Awesome photo! People keep telling me about the cannon being fired, but part of me didn't think it was this actual cannon. So glad to see real photographic evidence!

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 10:07:41 PM »
At one point in the late 60's, I remember them firing the cannons as a competition  between Union and Confederate soldiers. They would shoot  concrete filled oil cans at a target in the valley. That would probably take out Wildfire today.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

BKtoys

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 06:30:02 PM »
I worked at the gunshot late 70 s early 80 s. Wayne, or Jay, George Bohn, Bonnie, other street people would come down every day for 1 lb. of 1f black powder for the cannon. Every single day for years.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 08:48:49 AM »
The poor, old girl needs work.  The train is rotting badly, and the rest of the carriage isn't much better.  Another year of neglect, and the tube will be sitting on the ground.

I'd be happy to help them put the gun back into action.

pintrader

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 12:17:23 PM »
The poor, old girl needs work.  The train is rotting badly, and the rest of the carriage isn't much better.  Another year of neglect, and the tube will be sitting on the ground.

I'd be happy to help them put the gun back into action.

I have a couple of pictures that were took last year of the cannon that sits right outside the church.  I presume that was the cannon that was used years ago and the one you are talking about.  I am not no cannon expert but I don't see that it is in too bad of shape, actually looks like it could be fired today.  Maybe they had a restoration since the last time you saw it?

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 09:55:22 AM »
No; in fact it was worse in December.  Look for example at the end of the trail where the trail plate has actually separated from the wood.  You can barely see it in your second picture.  There is further rot at the cheeks (the pieces supporting the trunnions that hold the tube in place).

Trust me on this.  I own a cannon myself and manage a unit that has several.  I am an Instructor and an Inspector for the National Civil War Artillery Association.  Firing the SDC piece today would result in serious or even catastrophic failure of the carriage.  Fortunately, the artisans at SDC would find building a new carriage a trivial exercise.  The plans exist, and wheelwrights are around if they don't want to tackle that part.

The issue is academic, in any case, because, in addition to the necessary carriage work, the tube would have to be cleaned out, and the vent would have to be repaired first.

I would love to see that gun fire--and I'd be more than willing to help out!--but it is not safe to do so today, and doing it badly would create many worse problems than letting it sit.

pintrader

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 11:07:48 AM »
Sounds good to me!  I just wanted an explanation on what I was seeing.  I guess I just would have been blown up huh..... :P

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 12:04:21 AM »
I took part in end of day activities when I worked at the park, 1978-1984. I remember cannon firing each night. They held a end of day hoedown or round dance in an effort to get everyone on park to the town square so they could close the rides and shops. They also promoted getting into the restaurants for supper time before the big hoedown. After the dance everyone sang America the Beautiful, then the cannon would fire and the official day on park was done. It was a nice way to end the day.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 10:19:55 AM »
I took part in end of day activities when I worked at the park, 1978-1984. I remember cannon firing each night. They held a end of day hoedown or round dance in an effort to get everyone on park to the town square so they could close the rides and shops. They also promoted getting into the restaurants for supper time before the big hoedown. After the dance everyone sang America the Beautiful, then the cannon would fire and the official day on park was done. It was a nice way to end the day.

That does sound like a perfect end to a perfect
 day..