Author Topic: SDC's 2020 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 147708 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2020 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #375 on: August 13, 2019, 12:00:43 PM »
Very cool. The area looks really nice. We already know they've gone to great lengths to place a ton of rockwork and other landscaping that will surpass what was there before. The whole area already looks better and is easier to get around, and I can't wait to see the finished product.

I love that this will be a longer ride than the old Lost River. Definitely will be worth the long waits that it will get in the summer.

Wish there were more indoor sections like the old ride (not that they ever utilized the old indoor section very well), but at least there will be some kind of little cave/tunnel.

Hope the vertical lift doesn't give them fits.

The theme is awesome. I really really love the emphasis on Marvel Cave and the origins of the park. Really excellent work sticking to the central theme of the park instead of doing something generic.

Overall it's a fantastic addition. Gives me even more hope for future "redevelopments" of old areas of the park.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 13, 2019, 12:11:49 PM »
They keep saying that it's the tallest raft ride drop in the Western Hemisphere. Is there being another one built overseas that will be taller?

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 13, 2019, 12:15:36 PM »
Totally agree. I'm not a rapids ride fanatic, but definitely enjoy them on a hot day and really appreciate SDC and HFEC staying true to their commitment to detail, storytelling and ensuring that new attractions feel like they belong in the park. Also would have loved to seen more use of indoor elements, but applaud the length, and the addition of the curved section pre-drop versus just offloading you right into drop. Dropping through the building is a great touch as well.   

My only question is whether or not the Rivertown area is going to be a no outlet finger, or will also tie into another area? For the purposes of improving park flow and relieving overall congestion, I sincerely hope Rivertown connects to Wilson's Farm and/or Fireman's Landing via path.

Other than that, assuming there are no engineering glitches with the lift system, I think this is going to be another home run for the park.

woodgrain

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 13, 2019, 12:18:54 PM »
Very cool. The area looks really nice. We already know they've gone to great lengths to place a ton of rockwork and other landscaping that will surpass what was there before. The whole area already looks better and is easier to get around, and I can't wait to see the finished product.

I love that this will be a longer ride than the old Lost River. Definitely will be worth the long waits that it will get in the summer.

Wish there were more indoor sections like the old ride (not that they ever utilized the old indoor section very well), but at least there will be some kind of little cave/tunnel.

Hope the vertical lift doesn't give them fits.

The theme is awesome. I really really love the emphasis on Marvel Cave and the origins of the park. Really excellent work sticking to the central theme of the park instead of doing something generic.

Overall it's a fantastic addition. Gives me even more hope for future "redevelopments" of old areas of the park.

I agree. I think this is going to have a really great visual impact on that area of the park. Love the back story, the theme and all of the details shown in the drawings. If that lift is designed to move multiple rafts at a time, I guess the pace of this ride could be pretty quick. Should move quite a few people through at a decent clip.

I'm excited to try the new barbecue restaurant. If I'm seeing it right, it looks like the Smokehouse may have the largest seating area(s) of any restaurant in the park.

Fergy328

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 13, 2019, 12:40:28 PM »
They keep saying that it's the tallest raft ride drop in the Western Hemisphere. Is there being another one built overseas that will be taller?

I'm not finding anything about a ride being built with a taller drop. Maybe they're saying that so the record could last longer? I really don't know.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 13, 2019, 01:24:27 PM »
https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/2020

Happy to see that the minimum height only went to 40" since this replaces a ride that was one of the 36" height rides.

55 inches to ride without someone 16 or over

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #381 on: August 13, 2019, 01:39:25 PM »
Watching the initial reactions from the public roll in... Very reminiscent of the Time Traveler announcement in some ways. Lots of people freaking out about the drop, saying it makes it too scary to be a family ride. SDC stepping in and downplaying it so people aren't worried...

Well, with Time Traveler we know how that went. People got over their fears pretty darn quick and it's been incredibly popular. I predict the same will happen here. Only difference is that this is a replacement of a previous ride, so I can understand the people who are scared of heights being upset about it.

I just think it's hilarious how SDC will try to push the envelope a little, then have to down play it every time when people freak out, lol.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 13, 2019, 02:12:13 PM »
The theming on this ride looks fantastic. I am thrilled that they are paying homage to Marvel Cave and the park's roots. Kudos to the PTB!! I can't wait to ride it!

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 13, 2019, 02:38:22 PM »
Watching the initial reactions from the public roll in... Very reminiscent of the Time Traveler announcement in some ways. Lots of people freaking out about the drop, saying it makes it too scary to be a family ride. SDC stepping in and downplaying it so people aren't worried...

Well, with Time Traveler we know how that went. People got over their fears pretty darn quick and it's been incredibly popular. I predict the same will happen here. Only difference is that this is a replacement of a previous ride, so I can understand the people who are scared of heights being upset about it.

I just think it's hilarious how SDC will try to push the envelope a little, then have to down play it every time when people freak out, lol.

This ride is very similar to Infinity Falls at Seaworld Orlando, including a similar (but not quite as high) lift and drop. I haven't ridden on it, but the POV videos I've seen seem to make the drop not nearly as bad as what some naysayers think. I don't even think it will be that bad for most people who don't like heights (I don't, although I do still ride all the coasters).

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 13, 2019, 02:41:54 PM »
I'm excited about the ride, brings an update and I'm sure better capacity, efficiency, etc. to a favorite ride. All these rides that I have seen have been extremely popular (California Adventure, Sea World) and all ages are enjoying them. I like the update of the area too, so this is going to really make this part of the park special.

Shave, I'm also with you - once this gets open, any naysayers will be silenced.

It also makes me excited to see what they have up their sleeves for the coming years.

Jay

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 13, 2019, 02:51:21 PM »
I find it interesting that there is any fuss around the "drop". First of all the height of the lift does not equal the height of said drop. Not to mention, we're talking about a mere 45 degree plunge. Have no doubts it will be a fun attraction, but the ride facts and hype surrounding the actual numbers is mere PR fodder for the sake of engaging their key demographics. Despite what the park would lead you to believe is a new record-shattering thrill ride, I think it's fair to say this is going to be a very family friendly attraction. Not trying to insinuate that it will be underwhelming in any way, I just think the finale element creating any the negative comments will prove much more tame than advertised. 

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 13, 2019, 03:08:53 PM »
I guess its bigger than infinity falls then....but wait....how can it bigger than infinity :P

SDC better not pass up the chance to invite Freddy Prince Jr. for an opening day cameo  :P

But seriously....

Great promo vid....simple backstory that fits the park well (Time Traveller was a bit much imo).

Looks like a fun ride - I hope the rapids part give a serious ride too.

That bridge and little swirl of a turn from the lift into the drop looks awesome!!!  What a unique looking experience.

I don't see that this will change the flow of the park any....main paths look to be the same.  I little surprised that didn't do some type of reconfiguration like they did with TT.  That path could use some widening (as could most on busy days).  But I'm sure that they need to keep FL with one in and out.....a realignment to Wilsons Farm would really extend out the loop....and any 'shortcut' there would possible cut traffic from in front of the Pizza place.

Really is just an update to the raft ride and the BBQ restaurant.....two very important attractions to a park like SDC.  Not much for me to complain about....maybe the lack of a tunnel (from the looks of the drawings) is a big out of place considering the backstory. 

I wish SDC could do a project like this every year.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 13, 2019, 03:18:49 PM »

This ride is very similar to Infinity Falls at Seaworld Orlando, including a similar (but not quite as high) lift and drop. I haven't ridden on it, but the POV videos I've seen seem to make the drop not nearly as bad as what some naysayers think. I don't even think it will be that bad for most people who don't like heights (I don't, although I do still ride all the coasters).
[/quote]

I was at SeaWorld on the 4th of July....even had fastpasses....but they where not good for infinity falls.  Ride had an 1.5hr wait all day:(  So I didn't get to ride.  I did check the drop out and it looks pretty mild.  The 45 degree drop really keeps the raft at a slow pace.  I would say the raft hits the bottom about the same impact as the some of the regular raft rapids.  The popeye themed rafts at Universal seemed to be more intense.  IMO...American plunge seems scarier....but flume rides feel more out of control to me.  Time will tell how the SDC version rides.  btw....all 3 B&M coasters at SeaWorld are amazing.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 13, 2019, 03:49:18 PM »
I agree that the comments are of a similar reaction to when they announced TT. I, personally, can handle any and all drops...so I am fine with it. That being said, I have several in my family that do not like drops...however...I DO think they will be able to handle this since in reality it will be more like a slide.

What the general public is seeing is concept art...I mean..do they really think they will just plunge straight down a waterfall???

Several things I have taken note of in the concept renderings is:
The inconsistencies in "Marvel" vs "Marble" Cave in the theming sign(s).
The front elevation of the new Rib House (now Rivertown Smokehouse).
The style of the tower that the slide goes down.
The rapids part of the ride looks like at some point it goes into a waterfall (which will probably shut off when the raft comes close), then small cave, then partially enclosed tunnel.
I guess "RiverFront" is now going to be called "Rivertown." Curious if RiverFront Playhouse will get a name change too.

Overall, I am very pleased with what is being currently presented to us! I hope the theming will play out and  wont be "lost"  :P to budget cuts.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 13, 2019, 04:05:39 PM »
Not much for me to complain about....maybe the lack of a tunnel (from the looks of the drawings) is a big out of place considering the backstory.

There is a tunnel that leads to the lift. Brad talks about the mineshaft tunnel at about the 26 minute mark in the live stream: https://www.facebook.com/sdcattractions/videos/742966136146784/?t=1562