Author Topic: SDC's 2020 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 147749 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2020 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #390 on: August 13, 2019, 05:51:28 PM »
They keep saying that it's the tallest raft ride drop in the Western Hemisphere. Is there being another one built overseas that will be taller?

Yes.  There’s a possibility it might open before MRF so why it’s not being touted as Worlds Tallest
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 13, 2019, 06:05:54 PM »
Love the announcement. As others have said, I love how the theme of the ride is being tied into the park's history. However, it is a little confusing that the theme is a cave, but the ride is not entirely enclosed. All well, it doesn't bother me, just a thought. I'm happy for the enclosed portions we will be receiving. The theming around the ride in the concept looks fantastic. I love how the final splashdown goes through the queue building. That will bring amazing kinetic energy to the building. I'm not concerned that this won't be family friendly. Not even in the slightest.

The price tag on the attraction and BBQ restaurant is staggering. I did not expect that much. Has SDC ever had back to back attraction additions (TT, MRF) total this much capital? Especially when you combine the costs of Pumpkin Nights and new Christmas tree.

What a fantastic time to be an SDCFan!! I can't wait to experience this entire new area "Rivertown" and also look forward to an amazing future for the park.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 13, 2019, 06:43:44 PM »
It looks like it is going to be awesome! I have to figure out a way to get down there for Pumpkin Nights and the Christmas festival.
Colorado SDC Fan

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #393 on: August 14, 2019, 12:22:03 AM »
I was at the announcement ceremony and did the tour of the construction site. Very impressive for a river rapids ride. I do like the landscaping/theming/scenery/etc quite a lot from whats been done so far. This will indeed be a huge hit with the park like Outlaw Run and Time Traveler were. I expect the lines will be pretty crazy and long for this thing like how Lost River was. lol The ride basically combines elements from the American Plunge, Waterboggan, and Lost River.

FULL ALBUM HERE

Videos:

Construction Site Tour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg-1JWZqrYc

Announcement Ceremony:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x75e9Qa5X44

On the SW corner by the Dockside Theater and White River Mercantile:

You might notice lots of rock work and several decently sized trees have been planted and even some waterfall elements have already been made operational for part of the ambience that this area will create. Huge kudos to the park management and construction crew on what I have seen so far.

And of course the new "Rivertown Smokehouse" and the ride loading station:

Further up towards The Barn Swing I checked out the canals and the pits that were already constructed but was told to overall stay outside the structures. Got lots of photos and video. Also chatted with some of the construction crew while out there, I asked about Lake Silver and was told by one of the foreman that the new lake size will be reduced by almost 75 percent from before but it will be about 25-30 feet deep when they get done with it and its refilled. I suggested they should put some Koi or some kind of fish back in it to entertain the kids while they wait in line as the queue line will be right next to the "new" lake as the load station will be in the center of where the old lake once was. lol

Also note the huge pits dug out for the canals, reservoir, and the drop tower structure which will be over 80 feet high and the pumps on this thing are insane, 200,000 gallons per hour per pump is what I was told. That's a crazy amount of water if you think about it, but I guess that's needed for what all this ride experience will entail. Standing down there in the bottom really gives you a sense of scale of this water ride. The ride's capacity will be upgraded from 6 to 8 persons along with a faster load/unload system and will last 5 and a half minutes over a half mile ride course equaling a much higher PPH than the old Lost River ever did.

Only negative/critique I could come up with is to the theme/backstory being tied to the cave as I guess I was a bit let down as I had originally envisioned with the cave teasers that this was gonna be a mountain type structure with the slide element dropping into the mouth of a fabricated cave (see the entrance to the real Marvel Cave to understand my thoughts here) for an extensive indoor segment similar to how the last 25% of Lost River's course was. But I guess with the areas combined investment being more than Time Traveler, that kind of design would probably be too cost prohibitive. One can dream, right? lol Don't take this the wrong way or that I am implying that this seems underwhelming, I still think this will be incredibly beautiful to see in person and a very fun and thrilling ride once it is all said and done next year.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 03:17:23 AM by sdcfan88 »

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 14, 2019, 08:00:54 AM »
Great posting!  Thanks for your insight and the photos.  I'm sad to hear about the reduction of Lake Silver, but WOW! It looks awesome, and tie in to the history and lost elements of the park is very cool!

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 14, 2019, 08:46:41 AM »
I hope they manage to re-incorporate the "REJOICE" sign reflected in the new Lake Silver during OTC.

I am ambivalent about the new ride, not because I don't like it or because I don't think it will be popular, but because I am pretty sure I won't be able to tolerate riding it myself.  I don't do SDC for rides, anyway, but I did ride LR a couple times.  The rapids there were about the limit my back can take.  I don't think it will tolerate the new version (and I don't like heights AT ALL).

But I am sure it will make many people happy, so I am not complaining.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 14, 2019, 09:12:31 AM »
I am ambivalent about the new ride, not because I don't like it or because I don't think it will be popular, but because I am pretty sure I won't be able to tolerate riding it myself.  I don't do SDC for rides, anyway, but I did ride LR a couple times.  The rapids there were about the limit my back can take.  I don't think it will tolerate the new version (and I don't like heights AT ALL).

But I am sure it will make many people happy, so I am not complaining.

If the final product stays true to the concept art, I think this ride will contribute greatly to the overall atmosphere of the park. I am hopeful that it will make for an enjoyable area for non-riders as well. I am honestly a lot more excited about this ride and area than I was about Time Traveler and Outlaw Run. Those are both great rides, but the theme and surrounding areas were underwhelming to me. I think they've hit a home run all-around with this one!

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #397 on: August 14, 2019, 10:04:13 AM »
Watching the initial reactions from the public roll in... Very reminiscent of the Time Traveler announcement in some ways. Lots of people freaking out about the drop, saying it makes it too scary to be a family ride. SDC stepping in and downplaying it so people aren't worried...

Well, with Time Traveler we know how that went. People got over their fears pretty darn quick and it's been incredibly popular. I predict the same will happen here. Only difference is that this is a replacement of a previous ride, so I can understand the people who are scared of heights being upset about it.

I just think it's hilarious how SDC will try to push the envelope a little, then have to down play it every time when people freak out, lol.

This ride is very similar to Infinity Falls at Seaworld Orlando, including a similar (but not quite as high) lift and drop. I haven't ridden on it, but the POV videos I've seen seem to make the drop not nearly as bad as what some naysayers think. I don't even think it will be that bad for most people who don't like heights (I don't, although I do still ride all the coasters).

Got to ride Infinity Falls a couple of weeks ago.  We had a kid of about 7 and a grandma in our boat, along with my wife who has neck problems that keeps her from riding coasters and many "thrill" rides.  None of them had an issue on the ride, the drop is smooth and gentle- it's neat to do but really not scary or intimidating at all.  A logflume drop has more "oomph" to it than the drop in Infinity Falls did.

The ride overall didn't get us that wet, with a single waterfall doing most of the damage.  I'm hoping that SDC does better on that end as one thing I like about their water rides is that you actually get really wet on them, which is kind of the point. 

I am really looking forward to this.  I've noticed that the concept art is also showing 8 person boats instead of the 6 that they had before.  I hope that's the case as it will help with capacity.  As popular as it was, Lost River was fairly low capacity for a rapids ride.  The theming looks incredible.

I do get a bit of a chuckle over them calling it a new "land".  One ride and one restaurant, without even really having a walkway isn't a new area for me. Unless they are changing the name of the whole Riverfront area.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 14, 2019, 11:06:46 AM »
I've noticed that the concept art is also showing 8 person boats instead of the 6 that they had before.

It's 8 per raft and 18 rafts total. They will have latching seat belts and not Velcro.

https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/2020

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 14, 2019, 11:52:14 AM »
Area needed an exciting flat ride.8)

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #400 on: August 14, 2019, 03:34:06 PM »
Call me weird but even as a coaster enthusiast I'm actually more excited to see this finished than I was for Time Traveler.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 14, 2019, 03:47:53 PM »
Call me weird but even as a coaster enthusiast I'm actually more excited to see this finished than I was for Time Traveler.

You're wierd. :o

This doesn't much move my needle. I view it as making American Plunge expendable for a B&M launched dive coaster in that area. Wouldn't that be a world's first 8)

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 14, 2019, 05:11:32 PM »

I am more excited about this if they keep the theming up and do not cut back like they did on TT. I could care less about another coaster at this time. Spend money refurbishing the classics now.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #403 on: August 14, 2019, 05:38:10 PM »
I do get a bit of a chuckle over them calling it a new "land".  One ride and one restaurant, without even really having a walkway isn't a new area for me. Unless they are changing the name of the whole Riverfront area.

The Riverfront is now Rivertown.  This includes the already mentioned additions, a newly reimagined (and not announced yet) shopping experience in the former White River Mercantile.  A revamped dining area across the Playhouse with additional smaller counter service options.  New walkways, New lighting, New thematic elements.  But most importantly, this new land has an entrance arch stating that it is Rivertown. 
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 14, 2019, 06:18:07 PM »

The Riverfront is now Rivertown.  This includes the already mentioned additions, a newly reimagined (and not announced yet) shopping experience in the former White River Mercantile.  A revamped dining area across the Playhouse with additional smaller counter service options.  New walkways, New lighting, New thematic elements.  But most importantly, this new land has an entrance arch stating that it is Rivertown.

Still needed a quality flat 8)