Author Topic: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 511990 times)

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2018 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #1815 on: April 15, 2018, 11:28:37 AM »
The line is to the sign because of the forced photo op at the bottom of the steps

Another forced photo op?

I really, really dislike forced photo ops. >:(

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: April 15, 2018, 12:31:15 PM »
The line is to the sign because of the forced photo op at the bottom of the steps

Another forced photo op?

I really, really dislike forced photo ops. >:(

Trying to get that extra 20 bucks.... ::) ::)

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #1817 on: April 15, 2018, 07:09:12 PM »
A few things I'd like to slightly (maybe more) disagree with.

The photo op on the way in is not a forced photo op.  It is in the line, but they aren't forcing people to take photos and I haven't had any issues with them letting us skip it.  They've been very very polite and friendly about it.  A notable change from the way they were in the past.  (oh, and with the new $60 unlimited photo downloads in a year they are now offering, I won't be skipping it anymore either)

Second, the ride is not a lemon.  it is not the ride's fault when you are choosing to be there on a day that it never gets out of the low 40's temperature wise, and unfortunately that's been true more weekends than not.  And most of opening week as well.

There have been some issues.  All new coasters have them, and especially new models.  Have we forgotten how much downtime Outlaw Run had when it opened, and problems?  A lot.  But no one is calling it a lemon.  And weather has played a major role in them not having an opportunity to sort out some of the small glitches that new rides have.  hard to do when you can't run it because it's to cold to operate.

Out of 4 visits to the park already this year, today was the first day I didn't see it running.  And I didn't expect it to run when the high today was only supposed to be a degree above it's shut down operating temperature.  the other days it ran consistently the whole time I was there.  (well, except for media day, but that's because it was being delayed by cameras and filming, not operations or bugs)

It's normal to take 2-4 months to work all of those little things out of a coaster.  For years now I've strongly recommended people to not plan a trip around one new coaster within the first month or two of it's operating life. Far to great a chance it won't be going for various tuning up issues, and TT is no exception to that rule.  (And for the record I've seen an experienced that with ShieKra at BGT, Manta at Sea World, Outlaw Run here, even Scream at SFMM had a rough first month, and multiple other coasters over the years as well.)
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1818 on: April 15, 2018, 09:25:48 PM »
Wait.  You honestly think the issues with the sensors are temperature related?
No.  Sorry that’s not accurate at all.  Even the General Public is smart enough to realize that the trains should not be coming in sideways. 
SWOOSH

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: April 15, 2018, 09:38:11 PM »

Yes, that REALLY REALLY REALLY annoys me and slows things WAY WAY down.  I am sure hoping they do away with that sooner rather than later.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: April 15, 2018, 09:40:26 PM »
A few things I'd like to slightly (maybe more) disagree with.

The photo op on the way in is not a forced photo op.  It is in the line, but they aren't forcing people to take photos and I haven't had any issues with them letting us skip it.  They've been very very polite and friendly about it.  A notable change from the way they were in the past.  (oh, and with the new $60 unlimited photo downloads in a year they are now offering, I won't be skipping it anymore either)

Second, the ride is not a lemon.  it is not the ride's fault when you are choosing to be there on a day that it never gets out of the low 40's temperature wise, and unfortunately that's been true more weekends than not.  And most of opening week as well.

There have been some issues.  All new coasters have them, and especially new models.  Have we forgotten how much downtime Outlaw Run had when it opened, and problems?  A lot.  But no one is calling it a lemon.  And weather has played a major role in them not having an opportunity to sort out some of the small glitches that new rides have.  hard to do when you can't run it because it's to cold to operate.

Out of 4 visits to the park already this year, today was the first day I didn't see it running.  And I didn't expect it to run when the high today was only supposed to be a degree above it's shut down operating temperature.  the other days it ran consistently the whole time I was there.  (well, except for media day, but that's because it was being delayed by cameras and filming, not operations or bugs)

It's normal to take 2-4 months to work all of those little things out of a coaster.  For years now I've strongly recommended people to not plan a trip around one new coaster within the first month or two of it's operating life. Far to great a chance it won't be going for various tuning up issues, and TT is no exception to that rule.  (And for the record I've seen an experienced that with ShieKra at BGT, Manta at Sea World, Outlaw Run here, even Scream at SFMM had a rough first month, and multiple other coasters over the years as well.)

you are right, you are not forced to take photos but you are forced to way until the folks in from of you take their photos before they let you go thru.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #1821 on: April 16, 2018, 01:01:02 AM »
I honestly think they need to do a second queue for photos only or post better signage directing people to get photos or not instead of implying its "forced". Most of the queue space in the building in its current format is wasted and they could otherwise actually make smart use of it with some simple modifications.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:04:27 AM by sdcfan88 »

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: April 16, 2018, 01:20:25 PM »
No.  Sorry that’s not accurate at all.  Even the General Public is smart enough to realize that the trains should not be coming in sideways.

Reading comprehension much?  :-)

I'll make it simple for you Swoosh, and keep the sentences short.

All new coasters have issues and bugs to work out.
TT is a new coaster.
Therefore it has issues and bugs to work out.

When a new coaster has issues, it usually takes a couple months to work them all out
TT has been running less than a month
Cold and weather has reduced that operating time even more.
Therefore TT hasn't had near enough time to work out all of it's issues and bugs.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: April 16, 2018, 01:23:04 PM »
I honestly think they need to do a second queue for photos only or post better signage directing people to get photos or not instead of implying its "forced". Most of the queue space in the building in its current format is wasted and they could otherwise actually make smart use of it with some simple modifications.

I would agree with that.  I don't like how it's set up.  To much like how they used to try to force people at the train (thankfully that's gone now).  It's one of the vestiges of the old Kodak/ Digiphoto management.  From what I understand the park has taken over the photo business now, but it's going to take some time for them to realize that this system and setup really doesn't net them anywhere near as much as it would to have a separate optional photo spot at the gift shop.  Especially when it's countered by the impression it leaves, which often isn't a good one.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1824 on: April 16, 2018, 02:00:13 PM »

Reading comprehension much?  :-)

I'll make it simple for you Swoosh, and keep the sentences short.

All new coasters have issues and bugs to work out.
TT is a new coaster.
Therefore it has issues and bugs to work out.

When a new coaster has issues, it usually takes a couple months to work them all out
TT has been running less than a month
Cold and weather has reduced that operating time even more.
Therefore TT hasn't had near enough time to work out all of it's issues and bugs.

TT has been open to the public for less than a month, it has, however, been operational since early January

Look I want TT to be a success as much as anyone else, but to deny the fact that itn its current state it is anything but a money pit... then you’re just playing ostrich and have your head buried in the sand. 

I would love to hear how much they’ve actually spent on this ride.  We never will but I think it would be staggering
SWOOSH

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: April 16, 2018, 02:09:48 PM »

Yes, that REALLY REALLY REALLY annoys me and slows things WAY WAY down.  I am sure hoping they do away with that sooner rather than later.

Does anyone even buy these things. THe last thing I want is some photo of me and a bunch of strangers in a unposed setting. This whole picture things is stupid anywhere, at any park. I will pass them by just as I always have. I do not even look at them I just walk by.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: April 16, 2018, 02:20:26 PM »
THe last thing I want is some photo of me and a bunch of strangers in a unposed setting. This whole picture things is stupid anywhere, at any park. I will pass them by just as I always have. I do not even look at them I just walk by.

Even though I agree with you, I also feel like there are people that want the photos for memories, and therefore the park should get in on the revenue of that option. 
But likewise, If I say no.. take that as an answer too

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: April 18, 2018, 07:03:10 PM »
Read this on another site....

"""""With the addition of its $26 million Time Traveler roller coaster, Silver Dollar City is projecting another record year in attendance.

In a live interview this morning for Springfield Business Journal’s 12 People You Need to Know series, Silver Dollar City President Brad Thomas said attendance topped 2.1 million visitors last year. This year, park officials project 100,0000 more visitors.

“Those 100,000 incremental visits — and hopefully even more — definitely impact tourism in Branson,” he said in the interview with SBJ Editorial Director Eric Olson. “What a ride like this will do, not only for Branson but Silver Dollar City, is it helps raise the bar so that people will have exposure to us, have exposure to the fun of vacationing in the Ozarks.”

Thomas pointed to coverage of Time Traveler on NBC’s “Today” morning TV show, as well as USA Today and other national media reports.

“That’s exposure that has payoffs far beyond just the year of 2018,” he said.

Time Traveler opened March 14 to correspond with the first day of Silver Dollar City’s spring season. The ride features a 10-story, 90-degree drop and reaches 50.3 mph with three inversions and 360-degree spinning cars designed by Germany-based Mack Rides.

Contrary to some beliefs, Thomas said Time Traveler is “not a teacup on tracks” that constantly spins. Rather, the controlled spin system is less taxing on its riders, he said.

“They want rides that mom and dad can ride with the kids,” he said of Silver Dollar City’s customer base. “They want thrill, but they want fun.”

This morning, Thomas also announced plans to reward $500 bonuses to employees who worked at least 1,000 hours in 2017 and returned to the park for service this year. He said the bonuses would be awarded in May. During its peak season, Silver Dollar City has a couple thousand employees, he said.

“That is substantial, but it goes back to that strategy of rewarding those who are with us and trying to prevent the turnover,” Thomas said. “We have to be creative. We have to retain star employees.”

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: April 21, 2018, 09:33:20 AM »
Yes, but how many B&Ms could we have gotten for the price of TT?
A least a couple.   I’d much rather had a hyper doing dips down the side of a mountain popping up over the treeline

I'd love a B&M hyper....or a drop ride....or invert.  A hyper running through the hills back behind PK would be amazing!!!

Seems like SDC is satisfied with OR being it's headlining extreme thrill ride though.  Maybe in 3-5 years it will be different....but I've got a feeling the next few years will be about dealing with the classic rides, the shows, and other none-ride attractions.  The park really needs a another indoor attraction that can be open in the weather.
 Which is all great....I'm just guessing another big thrill ride will be years away.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 07:15:55 PM by HumphreyHawk »
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #1829 on: April 22, 2018, 01:52:28 AM »
Yeah I am probably being a bit on the pessimistic side here, but I kinda have a bad feeling with the expenditure on TT and then reportedly going over budget on its development/construction, they might not do anything major to the park in the next 4-5 years. The weather is also probably a determining factor as I am thinking the PTB are not liking the low crowds right now considering that they just opened and hyped up a worlds first coaster. Unlike DW, SDC does not have the crowds and capital that park can bring in which at the end of the day is what matters where expansions and additions are concerned. The summer season crowds will be the most telling on this aspect as to whether the massive risk & investment on TT was a success or not.