Silver Dollar City & Celebration City Discussion > Construction/Rumors

New Steam Engines Arriving at SDC

(1/11) > >>

sdcfan88:
Silver Dollar City has received some new steam engines. Makes me wonder if they are gonna build a new railway or expand the existing one somehow.

STORY HERE:
http://www.startribune.com/steam-engines-that-gave-children-rides-sold-to-theme-park/380374971/

Swoosh:
Oh thank goodness this story finally broke - been sitting on this for awhile.  The first engine (504) arrived Thursday and is on the backlot.  The park also bought narrow gauge track - not sure what the long term plans for it is though

sdcfan88:
This is an interesting and unexpected development to say the least. I assume that's where some of the projected 40 million investment went. I did not think they would be doing two projects simultaneously. Between the two projects this is definitely looking like the largest overall expansion project for the park to date.

shavethewhales:
I wouldn't expect them to change the track at all. I would guess this might give them the ability to run three trains with a shortened or eliminated show. They also might just simply have taken the opportunity to "stock up" since WWII narrow gage steam engines don't come around every day.

Lots and lots of history behind these engines, just like the others at SDC. I'd like to see the park make a bigger deal about the engines themselves, but then they'd probably get people mad that they aren't in a museum. It's unfortunate that the guy who had them passed away, it sounds like he had an amazing setup that is being torn apart.

dkparks:
A few thoughts about this. 1) I wonder what they will number them? 2) 1 must already have arrived in PA for rebuild. I wonder who would be doing that? (sarcastic) 3) Why would they need so many engines now? They already have a spare. 4) Why buy the track also? If they bought it all, what did the article say? A little over a mile? I am guessing they are panels. 5) Why? I mean this must surely be a large expenditure even if they got a good deal. And then to spend the money to completely rebuild one for next year. Someone correct me if I am wrong but that means they will have 3 basically completely rebuilt engines? Don't get me wrong, I am a rail fan and I love the FSDL. I just feel for them to do this must mean they have some serious plans in the future regarding expansion. Again, someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe their will ever be a way for them to completely eliminate the robbery due to the track grading. Still, I am very excited about the investment they are putting into SDC with this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version