Author Topic: New ride concept survey  (Read 31427 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: New ride concept survey
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 09:58:34 AM »
When I filled out the survey, I said I thought this would appeal to preteens the most.  The kind of preteens that jump lines, stick their gum on the walls, and carve their initials into the queue because they are running wild, unsupervised by their parents.  I'm not thrilled about squirting water at people or targets either.  The thought ran through my mind that we not only have Geyser Gulch, we also have the Flooded Mine.  It seems SDC may have shooting on their minds.  I just want a good ride experience; it doesn't have to be interactive.

I don't see a coaster going into the area at TS Landing.  It would be too loud and too conspicuous.  Also there is a lot of traffic and congestion there already.  I think this is where this Tom and Huck ride is going.  Maybe this is why we only have the still-unfinished Culinary Arts School for this year.  Were they saving to put in two new features next year, and then spend a couple of years billing them as "Still New in 2010 and 2011"?  I don't know, but if I ran the world...
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 10:45:49 AM »
^As I said in the SDC 2009 Project topic, the online SDC map now has a big yellow bubble declaring "New Ride Coming In '09!" right where Tom Sawyer's Landing is located, so something is going in there right now.  I don't think it's the Tom and Huck river ride, since it's too late to do a ride concept survey and get everything hammered out for next year.  It's something that's out of the planning stages that they've already conducted a survey for.  I think it's going to be a coaster, and it will change the atmosphere of that area of the park.  But I feel a lot of changes are on the horizon that will probably affect the look and feel of the entire park.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 10:56:13 AM »
Yeah, it's definitely not the river battle because it would look pretty weird in the middle of the city like that. Also, as you said, it's a little late to put out this river battle survey and then put it in the park this next year.

I think this pretty much proves that we are getting our own Mystery Mine coaster. (Ice House anyone?) A wooden coaster would look really weird in the middle of the city like that and I don't think it'd fit. Unless they are going for a dark ride concept that we haven't thought about.

Were they saving to put in two new features next year, and then spend a couple of years billing them as "Still New in 2010 and 2011"?  I don't know, but if I ran the world...

If you mean two new rides I don't think they'd do that. That would be a lot of expansion for one year. It is possible though if this is going to be their largest capital investment.

-------
All this aside I'm happy that things are finally starting to happen!!

EDIT: Since this is an online survey, anyone want to give us the link?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 11:11:20 AM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 11:26:50 AM »
You have to think of it this way - all of the water rides will still be in a rather linear line of each other.

American Plunge / Tom & Huck / Lost Rive / Splash Harbor / Waterworks Waterboggan

So it is not going to be THAT big of a deal.  Also wouldn't you rather see this area "reimagineered" then leaving it in the rotting state that it is currently in?  We all knew that the nets were living on borrowed time, and I'm not too surprised about the rest of the area as we all knew that it could be better used. 

Also one last thing - Splash Harbor is where you get sprayed with water guns, not Geyser Gluch  ;)
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 11:29:17 AM »
^I guess it won't look as weird as it would in say Midtown but something else other than a River Battle would look a lot better.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 11:33:35 AM »
I think what annoys me the most about it being put there is the fact that SDC has always hid their rides and with it being placed there, it will be right on the midway.  That is, unless they build some facades in front of most of the ride near the midway.
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 12:16:30 PM »
^That won't bother me much. I like to know whats going on more than I wondering what the heck is going on.

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 12:48:25 PM »
Ooops! Sorry for starting this topic in the wrong place, and sorry for not following up on it.  I was just curious about the survey and assumed everyone got it. 

I wasn't really thrilled about the concept at first because I was waiting for a wooden coaster announcement.  After thinking about it though and realizing how well SDC does with theming this could be great for families.  I also love the Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer theme or anything Twain. 

The wooden coaster concept seems as though it would be all too logical at some point in SDC's future, but I can imagine there is a lot of discussion going on with this tight economy.   

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 01:13:18 PM »
Where can you fill out the survey?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 01:26:32 PM »
^That won't bother me much. I like to know whats going on more than I wondering what the heck is going on.

Yes but it is tradition... and I hate to see that going away
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 05:02:16 PM »
Actually there were guns in Geyser Gulch before IT was expanded to include Splash Harbor, but we all know what we're talking about, so there's really no need to split hairs.

Also, you get to shoot at the Lost River, too.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 05:34:08 PM »
There still are guns in Geyser Gulch to shoot the targets, you just cannot get anyone wet with them like you can over in Splash Harbor.

SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 07:43:42 PM »
I have it from a good source that SDC has actually been toying with this idea for a long time, testing out various types for water cannons in the boat houses among other research. This ride is practically confirmed for the park. This source was also sure that this would indeed go in the Landing and that it would be built this year, not the next.

Hmmm...

Well, in any case, I'm really looking forward to this. I think the Splash Battle is only one part of this whole offering, which I expect to include a re-make of the buildings in the area hopefully with some new shops and thematic elements. Like Swoosh said, this is a very welcome re-establishment of a uber-favorited section of the park. It really is a win in all directions, though I'll still keep my nose up if they use plastic in the thematics. I really think they'll actually do a better job at theming it than some of us will assume at this point however - the concept artwork and description seem to show off a real attention to detail like we haven't truly seen since Wildfire. River Battle at DW was just a ride, but this I can see being a true experience all around. I'm looking forward to seeing Huck Finn back in the park.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 11:20:55 PM »
How many carnival games do you think they will add?  Yuck!

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 11:50:52 PM »
I don't think it's the Tom and Huck river ride, since it's too late to do a ride concept survey and get everything hammered out for next year.  It's something that's out of the planning stages that they've already conducted a survey for. 

To be honest SDC doesn’t always plan their projects years in advance. Sometimes it is only months in advance.

The fence is up to raise hype, good marketing. I will send some pictures of it. There is a sign posted on the fence with white wash paint saying to keep watching the fence for more clues, or something to that point.