Author Topic: SDC's 2009/10 Project  (Read 271685 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2009/10 Project
« Reply #225 on: July 15, 2008, 06:25:09 PM »
Not going to happen.  They are in the midst of a large rennovation of GG - which included draining Lake Silver last year.... it should continue on in this coming off season again.
SWOOSH

big cujo

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 15, 2008, 06:55:45 PM »
That's cool, what are the future plans for Geyser Gulch??

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #227 on: July 15, 2008, 08:47:35 PM »
^^^That's an interesting thought, but Geyser Gulch is not so easily shut off. If you thought the complaints about the Landing shutting down halfway through this season was bad, it'd be nothing compared to the uproar that would ensue if the Gulch was shut down. People would be asking for their season pass money back.  :P

I had no idea that they were refurbishing GG though - it's about time they did. It's never actually been in bad shape, but with it's paint scheme, people notice when stuff starts looking old fast, and with this particular structure that's a bad thing.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 08:59:34 PM by shavethewhales »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 16, 2008, 11:20:54 AM »
...but then you have to ask yourself, does the paint being worn add or distract from the theme?  If you have really bright paint really ANYWHERE in the park, it stands out too much.  They have to paint the new buildings to look distressed otherwise they don't fit into the theme.

Honestly now that they got the all water hoses working again there at the targets and over at Splash Harbor I think the area is better than it was say last year.  imho
SWOOSH

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #229 on: July 16, 2008, 05:48:46 PM »
With water being involved, as destructive as it is, I would hope there is a delineation between "looking old" and peeling paint.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 19, 2008, 12:54:29 AM »
Ok, Docspeleo, it's time for you to do another update since you are closer to the park than I am.

Still waiting, bud, for an update  ;)
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #231 on: July 21, 2008, 06:39:21 PM »
Anyone been around lately, or planning a trip soon? I know a few of you guys work at the park and have to travel past the area every day. Come on, you can tell us how much dirt has been pushed around so far.

I don't know if I've said this here before, but I really think the big project some of us were expecting was simply pushed off a year or so due to negative results of that survey they sent around earlier this year. Anyone else remember that survey, and how pessimistic everyone was? When I got the first confirmation about this project, the source said that the idea hadn't even been truly pitched yet to the ruling board - it sounded like it was a back up plan that was put together over a couple of months. Besides, this ride fits right into SDC's strategy of targeting mom's when times get tough (see: mom's blog).

Maybe the big project will come as a 50th birthday thing? Better not start speculating too much until after project is rounded up better though. I'm still in the dark about a lot of it.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 21, 2008, 08:12:52 PM »
Anyone been around lately, or planning a trip soon? I know a few of you guys work at the park and have to travel past the area every day. Come on, you can tell us how much dirt has been pushed around so far.

We'll be at the park sometime before school starts. That won't be until August though so surely someone can tell us something before then.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #233 on: July 21, 2008, 10:57:21 PM »
Copper just sent in a few shots of the old Landing rides sitting in a back lot: http://www.sdcfans.com/gallery.php?g=10

Looks like the old carousel is toast. I'm ready for the carousel of seasons anyway.

The really interesting thing is that the new location for the Balloons is not set in stone yet. Does this mean it may not go to the Expo afterall? I could see them wanting to put it somewhere else simply to spread the smaller rides out. Could it go up by Wildfire? It's aways away from all the other smaller rides, but it would give the kids something to do while their older siblings ride the coasters...

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 21, 2008, 11:12:41 PM »
It looks like they are being stored either back by the Grand Expo or over across the street from those pictures.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #235 on: July 22, 2008, 12:51:54 AM »
The picture with the caption "I don't even remember what these were from" is of the stationary carriages on Becky's Carousel.  You can also see some rope components of the climbing equipment in the background of the Balloon Chase.

I still vote for a Balloon Chase in Marvel Cave.  That would be awesome.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #236 on: July 22, 2008, 11:16:53 AM »
^Thanks, it's fixed now.

Looks like we may get a few photos today of the Landing progress.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 22, 2008, 03:17:47 PM »
The really interesting thing is that the new location for the Balloons is not set in stone yet. Does this mean it may not go to the Expo afterall? I could see them wanting to put it somewhere else simply to spread the smaller rides out. Could it go up by Wildfire? It's aways away from all the other smaller rides, but it would give the kids something to do while their older siblings ride the coasters...

In my opinion the Balloon Chase would look weird over by Wildfire. But it would be a good idea to have a smaller ride there. Maybe it just needs to be a different ride?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 22, 2008, 07:06:35 PM »
It might work over there if they take out the extended outdoor queue for WildFire and put it there.  They never use that queue anyway, so that might work.
SWOOSH

DocSpeleo

« Reply #239 on: July 22, 2008, 07:56:39 PM »
I haven't been out on park for a while... the life of a Cave Guide keeps you locked up in the Hospitality House most of the day.  hahahaha but it's true

I was with Copper the morning he took the pics of the carousel and balloon ride... made me mad lol I wanted those pics credited to me with my camera lolo

I did hear at lunch that the Drawings that were sent out in the survey were not the correct ones that were supposed to go out and that they do not match the ideas that they are mulling over... so that was interesting.

I also shared the groups thought of the Midnight Madness and out of theme dress with some people involved with that.

I also got to hear some of the ideas about the 50th Anniversary but was sworn to secrecy or i'd be shot on the City Square.