Author Topic: Campfire stories  (Read 3398 times)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Campfire stories
« on: July 25, 2010, 06:57:39 AM »
The 1 thing i believe is missing at City is campfires. I think it'd be cool if during the Moonlight Madness, they would tell stories & history of the park. And just for fun, every once in awhile ask some of the crowd what their favorite memory or things are at SDC.
This is just a thought because i know The City has alot going on, & the citizens probably work long hours during this time. My only main concern would be not letting the fire get too big, dont wanna catch anything a blaze.

What ya all think, would it be cool?
Live life like it's the last day!

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
Re: Campfire stories
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 08:59:03 AM »
I think that's a great idea!  They could possibly move it to the Wilderness Camprground as sort of a way to theme it perfectly.  This way the City isn't impacted from an operating schedule and if they put it in a part of the Campground that is open to the public (with parking for non-campground guests of course), it would be a great way to keep guests in the SDC area for a while.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 07:10:39 PM »
I like it! Also, no campfire is complete without s'mores! ;D
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 07:54:07 PM »
Bingo!  And they could "brand" the S'mores as being a special recipe from the Culinary Arts School to keep the interest momentum going.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 10:12:59 PM »
The Campfire Stories are a great idea and would really fit in if they brought back the Salute to the Great American Cowboy.  Does anybody else miss that?
In His grip!

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 05:54:16 AM »
How long should the story telling be? Some folk cant sit longer than a hour, ( like me ) or have certain special tellings where they are longer, with more detailed history. I dont think you'd wanna make them too long.
You could even have a citizen dressed as Bigfoot run around close to the campsite!! :o Ok, ok.. now i'm just being honrey. ;)
Live life like it's the last day!

mbrownx4

• McCoy
  • When can I go back?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 09:38:41 AM »
Pastor Don, I have to say that the salute to the american cowboy was among my least favorite special items on the schedule.  Maybe if it had been shorter like a couple of weeks and then move on to something else, but I was not impressed by the emphasis.  But I may be in the minority and that is fine.
Vote to end 2020!

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 03:25:36 PM »
^ I'm into the whole cowboy thing, so I really enjoyed it, especially getting to see my favorite cowboy singers The Sons of the San Joaquin.  Apparently there must have been lots of folks who felt more like you, because it didn't last very long. 
In His grip!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 04:41:07 PM »
Judy Dockery Young and Richard Young at SDC are the storytellers....they have published many, many books on storytelling (August House Publishing, Little Rock) during the late 1980's and through the mid 1990's. Aunt Judy still tells storys at McHaffie Homestead. Richard, I'm not sure what he's doing...last time I saw him he was working the line going into the Saloon Show. Both are college grads, both are former educators, both have competed in storytelling events. I love the idea of campfire stories at the campground or at SDC, but would prefer they stick to traditional Ozark storytelling...and you know what...I like the idea of somebody dressed as Bigfoot running around a time or two on the outskirts of the fire! What a jolt that would be, especially for some young kids.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"