Author Topic: SDC Christmas History  (Read 5363 times)

MCTX

• View Profile
SDC Christmas History
« on: May 20, 2012, 12:08:01 AM »
I apologize if this topic has already been brought up, but I was curious as when SDC started doing An Old Time Christmas? I'd appreciate any history you have to offer!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: SDC Christmas History
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 06:15:14 AM »
I really am not sure of the specifics, but seems like it was started on a small basis in the late 80s, and grew steadily over the years. At first it encompassed just the town square area but expanded to now include the whole park. My first Christmas visit would have been about '97, and the park was well done, but many attractions and shops were closed, especially toward the back of the park. Since then, I've been back for Christmas three or four times. Last year was spectacular. The lights over the years have increased, the Christmas shows are always very nice. Now, about the only thing closed are a few of the smaller shops and water rides. So it is worth it to go. This year they will begin a theatrical production of It's a wonderful life, which is bound to be top notch.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

pintrader

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 07:10:10 AM »
Junior is right on with this.  The exact year it started was 1988.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 08:47:30 AM »
My knowledge of the park in the period of the late 80s to around 2000 is limited, as I was concentrating on a broadcasting career during this period and only visited the park twice in the period from 1985-1996. (90 and again in 96)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 09:13:16 PM »
How long has Dickens' been showing?
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 09:29:19 PM »
I'm thinking 2004.
I'm Your Huckleberry

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 08:55:35 AM »
Each OTC use to have a theme. Candy Canes, Gingerbread Men, Christmas Around the World, Angels, Snowmen, The Nutcracker Suite, The Greatest Gift, etc. etc. Each year the decorations would be themed around a central idea. There were also round glass ornaments that were themed and dated. My parents collected these throughout the years, have well over 20 dated ornaments. I want to say it was in the early 2000's that SDC stopped doing a theme each year. The dated ornaments stopped as well.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 09:44:01 AM »
I didn't start attending OTC until just a few years ago when my son was deployed and we needed a diversion, and SDC fit the bill!  We have tried to make it every year since!  I would love to see some of the old themes and decorations returned.  How fun that must have been!!  The park is so beautiful during that time of year, but I did notice this year that the florals and wreaths weren't as well done as in previous years. They were pretty much all the same.  The lights are over the top gorgeous, but I hope they continue putting much effort into all the other decorations.  It is truly beautiful during the Christmas season.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 11:51:43 AM »
I miss the old tree that had the angels on it. My sister and I used to marvel at how pretty it was and how we wished our tree at home could look like that. Now its just a very bright cone sitting in the middle of Main Street.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:52:33 AM by tiffanylynnt »
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

Kentucky Optimist

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 04:28:26 PM »
My family went to one of the first OMCs, late 80's to early 90's.  My memory may be a little foggy, but I do remember parts of the park being closed off.  It seems that the square was decorated and that Hugo's hill was open (but un-decorated and the shops closed) and that the only ride that was open was the Carousel which at the time was where the river blast is now.  I remember walking under the train bridge and hoping that Tom Sawyer's ropes/playground would be open, only to be disappointed by the "boring" carousel (I was about 9 or 10 at the time).  Mostly I remember my mom being a little miffed because it was cold, the rides were closed, the shops were closed, there were no shows and food options were limited.  I believe the mine restaurant was open, but street vendors and outdoor restaurants were all closed.  We also had a hard time finding a place to stay, as at that time most of the resorts on Indian Point where we normally stayed were closed for the winter.  It sure has changed...  I love the OMC, but haven't been back in a few years.  I think they way this has been changed and developed over the years is a tribute to HFE.  Most other parks are closed for the off season and SDC is still going strong straight through to Dec. 31.
Finest Cuts of Meat & Pianos Tuned

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 04:59:52 PM »
My first Christmas experience was in the freezing rain...Vienna Boys Choir played in between pelting down ice/rain drops. Did see the Haygoods at the Meeting Hall (formerly Courthouse Theater) and that warmed our family up, it was a great little show. Lights were nice, but not like last years, and parts of the park were closed, only a few shops and few decorations...but this experience was about 1996 or '97, and MUCH has changed.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 11:21:57 AM »
My last trip during Old Time Christmas was a decade ago, and boy how things have changed even since then. My tentative goal this year is to finally go back for Old Time Christmas!

Lights, lights, and more lights everywhere. A cup of hot coco warming the hands. Beautiful, and crisp evening air. A soothing train ride into the winter wilderness. Oh, I can’t wait! ;D