Author Topic: Baggage Check  (Read 6351 times)

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Baggage Check
« on: July 13, 2010, 06:47:40 PM »
Do you think Silver Dollar City & Dollywood need baggage check?

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
Re: Baggage Check
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 06:53:14 PM »
Yes!!!  Every place needs a bag check!   Wal-Mart needs a bag check.   You would not believe the stuff we find in peoples bags at Disney.   This isn't a political statement, but now that guns are pretty much able to go lots of places, I'd feel better with one.   

It's our society now.  Nothing will change the need for the bag check.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 07:07:36 PM »
I agree with bag checks too. You cant judge someone by thinking "Oh, no patrons of SDC would carry a gun or do something dangerous."  Changed world, new rules!
Andymeets1880s

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 09:08:11 PM »
Dollywood didn't check bags, they didn't even check our cooler at the water park.
I understand the baggage checks but hate to think we are at that point in our society.
But I guess we are.
After 911 they did have baggage checks at SDC in the entrance. Seems like that's when they closed the little bridge there in the entrance arena.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 09:12:36 PM »
SDC had a bag check post 9/11 for a while directly next to the water clock. That lasted for a while, but I think it shows trust from HFEC with their guests. It does feel like a bit of a hassel @ SF StL going through the tent near the front gates. All food, weapons (or what they deem as weapons-chain wallets, aerosol sprays etc) are taken, or entry is not permitted. Ray can walk around with a 14" bowie knife strapped to his leg...who knows what other people might have. I would want the bag check as long as it does not not impede the flow of traffic for non bag carriers, or obstruct the view of the clock.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 10:46:41 PM »
I have been to many parks and SDC seems to have less people bringing in bags as a whole.  I think it is due to the fact that the food is cheaper at SDC than other parks and there is less need for sun screen because of all the trees.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 12:00:17 AM »
Yes it is needed.  All it takes is one and a familys life is ruined.  Think what a nut with a gun could do a SDC. 

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 12:26:03 AM »
Does White Water still do the bag check?  Although, I think they are mainly checking for outside food...

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 12:41:06 AM »
^^

Checking a bag is not going to help with gun control.  If someone is going to bring in a gun it will be on them not in a bag.  Unless they star]te with metal detectors and pat downs there is really no reason to check bags. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 12:43:31 AM by oklaSDCfan »

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 12:50:46 AM »
No.  I hate those checks.  It is a hassle and the odds of an auto accident on the way down make the once in ten lifetimes chance that someone would pick SDC to go on a rampage look very, very minuscule.  It is not good for business either to shake down your customers before they even enter the park.  Not to mention the fact if someone were going to do that they would just walk through the woods.  What next build the "Great Wall" around SDC, just make sure it is themed.  

Everyone always pulls 9/11 out as an example.  How afraid have we become.  I hate to break it to everyone, but you are not safe.  You never have been and never will be.  Not in your house, car, or out in public.  Danger lurks everywhere so long as you are alive, that is why you have to just feel blessed for every day you have.  It is strange to me how terrified people are of something VERY unlikely like a rampage happening to them, but flirt with danger everyday driving like they are in a race.  Run the numbers of how many people have died of heart disease since 9/11, or in auto collisions and the "death by terrorism", starts looking about as likely as the chance of being hit by lightning while being chased by Bigfoot.  Quit being afraid and enjoy your life.  After all none of us are getting out of this world alive. :D

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 01:23:16 AM »
Very well put.  I totally agree.

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 07:18:48 AM »
Oh sure we are supposed to believe that story coming from a
Hatfield McCoy.  You just want to shoot at each other we know what is up.  So of course you are against checking for guns.  I bet you think it would be a great idea to have a show in the middle of Main St in front of the hotel with shooting involved.  Heck the Hatfields could come from on direction and the McCoys from the other.  The could get into it and then start shooting at each other.  While that was going on guest could gather round and be entertained.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 07:55:12 AM »
I think it is a hassle, sure but what people need to do is just be prepared.  If you see the line and the bag check sign...open your darn bag!   They should also have a no bag line also. 

I'm not on the "using 9/11 as an example" kick, but if you are going to take that stance as a company after the event, be prepared to send a clear message and continue it.  It just muddies things when they bring it back for (God forbid) another instance that warrants it. 

It's kind of funny, especially with like minded people on this board who all like to embrace the past, that we all want our lives back to the way it was 30 years ago or so.  Unfortunately times are different and I wouldn't begrudge the City for instituting this policy and keeping it up if it means a safer park experience for everyone. 
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 12:47:38 PM »
Okay, I have to admit... when someone says "baggage check", I think they're asking about a place to store baggage while you're inside.

As for security searches: absolutely no way. It is security theater, not security. It's annoying and insulting and does absolutely nothing to keep anyone any safer. It is a charade to make people "feel" safe, not actually be safe.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 02:13:17 PM »
Gee, when I tried to have my "old bag" checked at SDC, she slapped me! Almost ruined my whole day! ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"