Silver Dollar City & Celebration City Discussion > General Silver Dollar City Talk

Big Storms at SDC

(1/2) > >>

Firstvisit1967:
We have never been at the city when a big thunderstorm hit.  I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a gully washers come through.

pintrader:
I'll take it one more step.  If there was a tornado warning where do people go?  The first logical place would be the cave.  But I could imagine getting 10 to 15 thousand people in the cave in a small amount of time, plus in an  orderly fashion would be impossible.  The old duck and cover maybe?

mbrownx4:
Oh yeah...it hit and everyone got soaked.  It was not really a big thunderstorm, but a lot of rain.  One of of our foster kids and myself provided some entertainment for some folks at the Christmas store.  He was in a stroller and I was running with it trying to get to the overhang.  I guess we did look funny, wet and laughing.  The water was fast moving because of all the hills.  Gave the streets a quick cleaning!

Junior:
During my employment years, I don't remember a storm plan being in place. To the best of my knowledge, there are no storm shelters in the park. In my time, everyone just went into a shop or stood on a porch until the worst of the weather played out. The suggestion that everyone go to the cave is impossible to implement. Plus, the waterfall room floods out in heavy rain, and would be unsusable for several days after a hard rain. I don't know, maybe it's just "duck and cover."

marolinesdad:
Rainy Days...   Here is what the SDC sight says to do.

Q: What is there to do if it rains when I am visiting?
A: Don't let a little rain spoil your fun! Silver Dollar City offers plenty of indoor shows, shops and attractions to keep your family entertained. We suggest the following activities:

Stop in Eva & Delilah's Bakery and treat yourself to a decadent delight to start your day of fun at the park.

Tour Missouri's deepest cavern, Marvel Cave*, free with your admission.

Step inside unique shops such as Brown's Candy Factory, Hazel's Blown & Cut Glass Factory, Valley Road Woodcarvers, Mission Metals and Hillcreek Pottery for unique treasures and craft demonstrations.

Ride through the Flooded Mine* and experience a family favorite.

Visit the warm & welcoming Culinary & Craft School! This classic farmhouse has been luxuriously appointed by our own Silver Dollar City craftsmen. Maybe you'll decide to take a class in the beautiful state-of-the-art kitchen as well! (Nominal fee applies.)

Wonder & whimsy fill the park during National KidsFest with shows for kids and kids-at-heart. Performances taking place in indoor and covered theaters include The Magic of Peter
Gossamer at The Opera House Theater and Chris Perondi’s Stunt Dog Experience™ in Red Gold Heritage Hall. See our daily show schedule for more details on these shows and more!

Stop for a ride on Fire-In-The Hole*, Silver Dollar City's indoor roller coaster.

Get creative and let your imagination run wild with Kid Concoctions™ in the Carousel Barn.

Get ready for a rollicking good time with Frontier Follies in the Silver Dollar Saloon.

Then tour the Midtown shopping district including Becca's Weaving, Bittersweet Gallery, Bishop's Watercolor Art, Carrie's Candles and Sullivan's Mill. Plus, stop by and enter the 50th Sweepstakes at Sweeps Central!

Browse Heartland Home Furnishings, Mountain Outfitters Gun & Knife Shop and Mountain Leather Shop on your way to a hymn sing-along at The Wilderness Church.

Get a Hot Apple Turnover and stock up on homemade jams, jellies and fruit butters at The Apple Butter Shop located near McHaffie's Homestead.

Treat your family to a mouthwatering dinner at indoor and covered restaurants throughout the park. Whether you have a hankering for a home-style buffet at Molly's Mill or The
Lucky Silver Mine, or stick-to-your-ribs vittles at Aunt Polly's Fried Chicken or The Riverside Rib House, you are sure to find something to satisfy any hunger.

Pick up a sweet treat for the road at Phoebe Snapp Taffy or Eva & Delilah's Bakery as you leave the park, and recount your adventures all the way home!

You may not be able to do everything on the list, but as you can see there's a variety of indoor activities for everyone in your group. So come and enjoy Silver Dollar City, rain or shine!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version