Author Topic: Retired ride graveyard?  (Read 8195 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Retired ride graveyard?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 09:20:13 AM »

The water they pump through that channel makes no sense to me. I love water features and have always thought they could just shut that off and spend those funds to improve something else, like the splash.  I would prefer the mist screens insted of the " wet" splash.  Like on the river battle.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 10:54:46 AM »
^^I've never seen the water feature activated.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 11:05:10 AM »
I have felt a sprinkle once or twice now that you mention it. I think there might have been a bit of water at the top of the final hill a few summers ago.

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 12:18:47 PM »
When they first built Powderkeg those tanks on either side of the dip were painted a swimming pool blue like they were going to fill them with water and have a big time SPLASH, but now they're painted tan and, like I said, I got a kind of "squirt gun" spritz as we went through a couple of times.  We wondered if, at those speeds, a big splash might actually be painful!  :D
In His grip!

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 12:29:06 PM »
I've been spritzed on PK a few times but from what I've noticed, they barely turn it on.
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 01:10:14 PM »
I love talking about Buzzsaw falls while in line for Powderkeg. People that have never known about the old ride love to hear these things.

By the way, does anybody know why they did away with the water splash feature on PK?  I think I felt a small sprinkle once or twice while going between those tanks, but it certainly wasn't a "splash". 

I don't think they took it out, they just never finished it. I've seen a few different fountains placed in there from time to time, but I think they did away with the splash-down because of how finicky PK's sensors are to water droplets. From what I've heard, they have to go around the track and wipe off each sensor after every rain so the system doesn't trip out and lock everything down. It'd be great if they just added an actual tunnel instead.

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 02:36:37 PM »
It seems like PK is the first SDC coaster to be ran on more "today-technology". You can tell when when you look inside PK's tracks, and in the trains with those little roller deals on the bottom and everything. (yes, yes, I know. Pardon my scientific vocabulary ;))
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 02:39:10 PM »
So what happens if a sensor gets tripped while people are riding on PK?  Does the lock down just prevent people from getting on?