Author Topic: Special perks for SDCFans.com?  (Read 11595 times)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
Re: Special perks for SDCFans.com?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2010, 12:03:48 AM »
My thoughts on this matter revolve more around contacting the park to see if they might promote a SDCFans.com Day for next season.  A discounted ticket price is often part of that kind of thing, and quite possibly some of the perks mentioned above might be able to be arranged also.  For their part, SDCFans.com would probably have to insure that a substantial number of their members would attend.  The question is:  can SDCFans.com pull it's loose collection of members from all over together in large enough numbers to entice SDC to make the effort.   
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 12:15:53 AM »
Or, if we couldn't get enough people for Zephon's idea. How about an SDCFANS day at the park where we pay regular admisssion to the park, but would get a behind the scenes tour, some extra ride time (FITH in the dark or with lights on, etc.) and some face-time with an executive to whom we could share our ideas/concerns about the park. This could be possibly be done with a smaller group of people. Signing up for the event could take place on this board.  If more people signed-up than there was space available, the site admins could award space to members by seniority (how long they've been a member of SDCFANS). This would prevent people from signing up just to get the free stuff.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 08:40:35 AM »
I like these ideas but it is next to impossible to find a day where people could get to the park all on the same day.  :P

But Zephon, you work at the park, are the execs at SDC open to these types of things?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 12:06:59 PM »
Hmmm...I'm thinking getting us all there at the same time might be an uphill climb too. I wonder if there is someway we can prove who we on this site and then SDC could have a way to compensate that?!
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 04:35:19 PM »
I like the idea of using the Disney model for forming something for the park. It is nearly impossible, even if we gave six months notice for a SDCFans.com day at SDC, to get everyone together. It would be  nice to have something available to individual members when they visited, no matter when that would be. What do you think?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 07:26:36 PM »
^^How much is the membership fee Mike?

Here is some information for you all.  Not to promote D23 of course, but to give you an idea of the thought that has gone into their group.

http://d23.disney.go.com/faq.html
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 08:20:05 PM »
Thanks for the info, Betamike. Alright everybody...take a good look at it...what do you think?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 09:44:10 PM »
I wouldn't be interested if SDC did something like that to be honest. I read over the D23 page, and IMO, all it looked like was a fan club. You get a magazine, newsletter, certificate and then you get invited to special events which you then have to buy another ticket to get into. It just sounded too costly and not worth it.

I feel like SDC is above that, making the true fans pay for a membership into a club with special benefits. I don't know, I'll stop ranting now, but I feel like they could and would do better if anything ever happens for us.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 10:03:53 PM »
Fair enough. Ok, we need more input. Who's next...

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 10:06:13 PM »
^What's your opinion Junior?

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2010, 10:45:18 PM »
It would probably be impossible for all SDCFans members to come to a singular event.  But if we were given enough notice, many of us probably could.  In addition, if this were made an annual event most of us could make it to one eventually.  Personally, I'm not looking for a discount, I just want an opportunity to see more of the park and share my heart with some of the powers that be.  Also, I think most of us are on this forum because we are passionate about SDC.  I'd hate to see people joining this forum just to get a freebie. IMHO.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2010, 10:49:16 PM »
I agree with Coaster and PBR.  There are too many things involved in a fan club like that, and SDC would have to do a lot of prep work to make it all work.  It's too costly for them and for me.  I think we're looking for a more intimate experience.

I don't think many people on SDCFans would actually show up - just the diehard long-term members mainly.  I like the idea of basing eligibility on number of posts and length of membership, but would like to add the concept of the membership being an active one, and perhaps moderators could invite some of the newer members at our discretion.  I would also love to include the families of members.  We could come up with some criteria that would make things less subjective if you would like, but I'd like to know if SDC would be up for it before we do a bunch of work on it.

Any HFE family members or execs lurking on here?  You can send me a private message to let me know what you're thinking, and maybe we can put some rockets on this idea.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 12:34:20 AM »
I disagree with any eligibility for members based on posts or length of time here. I just happened to find this site and, had I known it existed, I would have been here LONG ago! I am not being mean or trying to start waves. God knows you are a great group and I am glad and thankful I found this, but surely their is another way to let all in on this. I understand being careful of weeding out the freebie hunters, but just because we havent been here very long doesnt mean we are not as diehard or faithful to the site as anyone else. I know I am giving opinion and no answers and I am working on the latter.
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 04:33:19 AM »
I say weed out freebie hunters, but treat each member of SDCFans.com equally...after all, we are a big, diverse family here, and each of us bring our own special qualities and talents to the site.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 05:28:48 AM »
I know that the HFE folks monitor the site, just to see what we hardcore fans are thinking. I speak directly to anyone connected to the company...you know who the hardcore fans of this site are...you know who many of us are in the "real world." YOU ARE WELCOME HERE, TOO! You are welcome to privately contact any of us, voice your praises or concerns. Don Richardson is gone...the chamber of commerce on park has been put to bed, and now you have a publicity department. Let SDCFans.com be your unofficial chamber of commerce...we are glad to be your goodwill ambassadors! I know sometimes we criticize, but you have heard enough out of us to know why we do it. You can feel welcome to use this site to voice your opinions, too. Let's keep things free and open here. Keep it real. We get enough "spin" in life as it is. God bless you for your efforts at SDC, you know I'm a former "citizen" and I encourage you to keep that special SDC spirit alive and well.  :)