Author Topic: Watery topic  (Read 3165 times)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Watery topic
« on: June 27, 2010, 02:06:11 PM »
Ok, here we go, another 2 part'r.

1st - When ya was in the treehouse in Guyser Gulch, who did ya try to hit mostly with the water cannons? I noticed ALL the kids LOVE to hit grown-ups, i think its great!! I will admit that about some years ago, i soak'd a mother & her daughter. They didnt step back, so i just kept goin', it was all in fun.

2nd - Ever make someone mad when ya hit'm with one of the water thingys by Lost River? Like ya can really aim them things, just gotta have great timing. I heard a lady say 1 time - " i cant believe he hit me in my glasses, i just bought them.." >:( Like i KNEW that! I had to walk away laughin', it still makes me laugh.

1 other thing - does any remember when Fire in the Hole used to pick 2 people wait'n in line outside, to have a water fight with the buckets that are out there? Back in the day i also remember when the employees would on purposely - accidently spill or hit someone with the water. It dont happen no more cuz we all got too many electronics with us, i miss those days tho'. Last year, a employee on the American Plunge did throw water on us when we was comin' back in. He said he thought our log was on fire.  :D It was all good, it felt great. 
Live life like it's the last day!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Watery topic
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 04:10:35 PM »
The FITH stuff...throwing water, passing buckets down a bucket line, were all part of the entertainment we employees did as part of our "crowd control" or "line activities." Let's face it, standing in line is boring...but at SDC in years past, all the employees at attractions would do things to keep people occupied...and get them involved in what was going on, all in the effort to keep your mind off one important fact, you were standing in a line. Audience participation. You still see it to some extent...thank goodness...but not as often as you used to. Line activities, or crowd control, were an important part of the job the guys at the diving bell had. We played tug of war, had contests to see how fast people could get into an ozark bathing suit (pair of cut off overalls) diving contests, and so on. We told jokes, visited with guests in line, flirted with girls, we would sing songs, some Dugan boys brought a guitar and sang, one guy juggled, and we had mascots...two prop fish. We carried them in a bucket of water up and down the line, asking folks "do you want to pet my fish?" When someone said yes, we pulled the wet, slimy prop fish out of the bucket of water, making sure we splashed kids and women, and they would laugh and scream, and everybody had a good ole time!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 05:12:26 PM »
That sounds fun! I've never seen any employees do that. I'm guessing that they don't do that at SDC anymore. :D
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 09:35:06 PM »
I think the ride ops are strictly focused on safety and not allowed to interact in those ways anymore.  That's just my assumption.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 11:35:50 PM »
"Far Cheef" plays around with the guests and has some fun with the buckets on the weekends at FITH.  And Jazz the fire dog makes appearances, but I am told they used to do so much more.

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 08:53:02 PM »
Once, I was waiting in line outside of FITH with my dad.  It was a really hot day, and a "firefighter" was outside near the trough.  As we neared the trough, my dad eyed the water and said, "man, that sure looks good."  The man answered, "really?" and before we knew it, he dipped a bucket in the trough and threw the water at my dad, drenching him!

Great memories!

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 02:39:01 PM »
I am sure if someone drenched a guest now that someone would get sued.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 10:09:03 PM »
I am sure if someone drenched a guest now that someone would get sued.

True.  Of course, this was before cell phones and such.  I suppose he could have had a camera or something, but he didn't.