Author Topic: Three Ghost Stories  (Read 3769 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Three Ghost Stories
« on: January 15, 2010, 02:39:26 PM »
A few years ago on a visit to SDC, I picked up a little booklet written by Franklin Capps, a miller at Sullivan's Mill. He claimed that Sullivan's Mill might be haunted! He said in his booklet "The Legend and History of Sullivan's Mill," that delivery men in the early hours of the day have heard a moaning and groaning sound. Capps claims one delivery man REFUSES to go in the mill alone at night. Have you ever experienced a weird feeling while inside the mill?
-
I went to high school with Kelly Trimble, whose dad, Mark, once owned Shepherd of the Hills Homestead. While eating lunch at high school in 1979 or 1980, Kelly told me and some friends that workers at the farm have often spotted a Confederate soldier on horseback in the Inspiration Point area and at the Old Mill Theater where the  pageant takes place. In fact, the ghostly soldier story is also reported in Dennis William Hauck's book titled "Haunted Places The National Directory."
-
When my family first moved to the Branson area in 1978, my parents looked around for a good house to rent. One of the first places they looked at was the old Merriam family home at Rockaway Beach. The Merriam's developed Rockaway. They built a fine stone house with an oriental looking roof. It would have almost certainly have been called a mansion when built in the 1920's. My brother and I were excited about the prospect of moving into the house. It had a large, wooded lot, an old stone goldfish pond in the back yard, a sweeping bluff view of Lake Taneycomo, and two cabins. My brother and I conspired to talk our parents into letting each of us have one of the little cabins as our own, while mom, dad, and little sister lived in the big house. Mom said she would never live in the house. When she and dad took a tour of the place with the real estate guy, mom said she could not get over the feeling that someone was watching her as she walked through the big house. She was so creeped out, she cut the tour of the place short, and got in the car to go! Could it be that Mr. and Mrs. Merriam NEVER LEFT THEIR HOUSE???

Have you or your family ever experienced anything "paranormal" in the Branson area? There are several other ghost stories about the area I could tell you. A woman allegedly haunts the Devil's Pool area south of town. That's where the Big Cedar Lodge is today. Make a posting if you have had a weird or unusual experience, I'd love to read it.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
Re: Three Ghost Stories
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 08:48:36 PM »
Junior, do you know any SDC hauntings? I have never heard any, but figure you might have heard something of SDC ghosts or strange happenings.

My paranormal experience was at Elmwood Cemetery in Kansas City. I was fence rider with ghosts. I believe in spirits, but wasn't convinced until........
we had a local group of ghost hunters come out in the middle of the night and they had one woman with a camera that laid out. Kinda like the old cigarette and gum trays that waitresses used to carry around their necks in clubs years ago. Anyway, at one point we are down in the columbarium and there is no breeze, movement or wind of any kind to come through the columbarium. The woman with the camera nudges my elbow for me to look and there was a perfectly round orb coming right at the camera like it's slowly waving on water. It waved up and down twice. Then just as it got what seemed like a foot from the lens, it shot straight up like lightning! Zip! I have never again questioned the paranormal.
Andymeets1880s

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 09:57:38 PM »
I know some Marvel Cave haunting's. I heard them while I was on the lantern tour.
  - The Water Children: A group of teenagers once went into Marvel Cave at night and were never seen again. People who have stayed at SDC at night to clean up Marvel Cave recall hearing them talk. Supposedly when 12:00 hits you start to see them.
  - Mr.Lynch: Theres a story that Mr.William Henry Lynch himself hangs out around the cave tower and watches you and your fellow cave tourists as you enter the cave. My little sister claims to have seen a glowing figure sitting on a rock beside the tower, but I personally don't believe in ghosts and she probably just thought she was seeing something considering that a lot of light and mist shines into the Cathedral room.
  - Theres another claim that there was a photo taken in MC with three smiling guys in it. Well when the photo came out there was a woman in a dress standing next to them. I never saw the photo because it's not publicly accesible and it was taken years ago, but I heard it was very freaky.

These are the haunting's about SDC that I know about. Maybe someone who actually works around MC can give me some feedback on these stories.
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 07:59:13 AM »
The only thing I ever heard of at SDC in regards to hauntings is the Sullivan's Mill thing. I worked at SDC 7 years and never heard any stories or experienced anything weird.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"