Silver Dollar City & Celebration City Discussion > General Silver Dollar City Talk

SDC closed in August?

(1/3) > >>

betamike:
Does anyone know why The City is closed during the peak summer period over the span of two weeks (7 operating days)? 

Swoosh:
because school starts back up in the area the week before... and because college starts back up around that time as well.

betamike:
Sounds logical.  I just figured during one of the biggest season's ever, the park would be open full swing.....for folks like me ;-)

I thought it might be to change over from one festival from another. 

Thanks Swoosh

Junior:
It's still an amazing thing to me that they would close like that in August. Even many of the music shows and other entertainment venues cut back in the Branson area during this time, or close. Some of the headlining stars take a break for a few weeks at this time.  I know they are getting a little break before the fall festival stuff and then the Christmas things crank up.

KBCraig:
All the regional schools run from mid-August to mid-/late-May. Around the time I graduated (1981), or shortly after, Arkansas actually passed a law that classes couldn't start before Labor Day; this was because many Arkansas schools at the time weren't air-conditioned, and stuffing the typical 30 kids (at that time) into a sweltering classroom just isn't conducive to learning.

I don't know when they reversed that, but I suspect the football season had something to do with it.

It's funny, in the northeastern states, where summer heat isn't a big deal at all, they tend to run the old, traditional Labor Day to mid-/late-June schedule. They have proms when Southern states have already let out for the summer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version