Author Topic: My Missouri genealogy  (Read 3279 times)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
My Missouri genealogy
« on: April 23, 2010, 03:49:42 AM »
I had known all my life that my grandfather Craig and his family all hailed from the Cass County/KCMO area. All my grandparents, except my maternal grandmother, died either before I was born or before I had memory of them.

About 15 years ago, before my father passed away, I started researching our ancestry, and was greatly aided by a cousin in St. Jo, who is a retired school teacher and had been researching this stuff for over 30 years. Literally within 30 minute of sending an introductory email to the Craig family mailing list, I had his reply and a GEDCOM file showing that our line of Craigs had been in America since before 1750, and had paused briefly in Londonderry to birth one generation c. 1729 while moving from Scotland to America.

So... my father died shortly afterward, and I just didn't have the heart to pick it back up again. I kept meaning to, but I just couldn't.

Fast forward to 2010. My mother was in the hospital last week, and I went up to help take care of her at home when she was released. We started talking about family stuff, and her lineage has always been a mystery. I took some notes, came home, and started searching online. No luck with the Ross clan, but I've gained a few clues that might help.

Meanwhile, I decided to poke around the Craig line again to see what I could find that was new. I found that George Armstrong Custer is my 5th cousin, 5 times removed (as a Southerner and part Native American, I'm not particularly proud of this).

The funniest thing is that while I was at my mother's, I had just finished reading "Ruled Britannia" by Harry Turtledove, just two days before stumbling across this.

The book is an "alternative history" novel starring William Shakespeare, in an England that has been conquered by Spain, where Phillip II successfully seized Elizabeth I and locked her away in the Tower of London. It's a darn good read for anyone who enjoys history and Shakespeare (there is plenty of understated bawdy, bard-y humor).

Anyhoo, two days after finishing the book, where I got a refresher on Early Modern history, I find out that the background antagonist, Philip II of Spain, is my 12Ggrandfather. To add insult to injury, further back in the Hapsburg line, Edward I of England ("Longshanks") is also a direct grandfather, and he launched war against Scotland, where my Craig ancestors eventually had to flee.

Roughly half of my ancestors were trying to kill the other half. Maybe that's why family reunions are so "entertaining".

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: My Missouri genealogy
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 08:24:09 AM »
LONGSHANKS! I saw "Braveheart" and now I don't know if I should like you or hate you! (Just joking ;D) Fascinating history! My family legend is that two brothers who came to America left England very suddenly after being caught stealing apples from the Kings orchard. Who knows, maybe some of your family ran some of my family out! I do know when some of my grandmothers family came to America from Germany they landed in New York City and saw slaves being sold in a market square there before the Civil War. That part of the family later settled quietly in Illinois and just about everyone became farmers.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 09:54:45 AM »
Hello, cousin!  I've been the family historian for several branches, in our tree, for nearly 20 years.  If I could make a living researching, I'd quit my job!  Edward 1 is my 21x great Grandfather, all documented.  I hated history, when I was young, now it's amazing, when you see how your family is connected, good or bad. 
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 10:21:02 AM »
My ancestors fought alongside William Wallace if that means anything

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 10:30:35 AM »
Hey, Rube, it's amazing when you learn stuff like that, then re-watch a movie (or read a book), and it takes on a whole new perspective.  You're like, "Wow, that could be portraying my (fill in the blank)"  and it's pretty cool  ;D
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

sdcforever

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 12:25:17 PM »
I'm a direct descendant of a member of Jesse James's gang (I can't remember his name right now).  He was murdered by having a pitchfork shoved through his chest.

On a happier note, I'm also a direct descendant of John Paul Jones, the Founder of the American Navy. ;D

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 08:45:57 PM »
I've got nothin'.  I'm the most famous person on my side of the family.

My wife, however, has Robert the Bruce in her line, as well as a king or two.

She is also related to President James Buchanan, but her closest famous relatives are Red Skelton, and Missouri's own General Omar Bradley.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 10:20:15 PM »
Dad's mother's side of the family is directly related to Lincoln through Mary Todd.
Mom is from only the 2nd generation to be born in America.  My great grandfather came over on the boat from the Nederlands.  Mom is full Dutch and I'm 3/4th.

SWOOSH