Author Topic: Anniversary Weekend  (Read 4969 times)

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Anniversary Weekend
« on: April 08, 2010, 01:03:26 PM »
Has anyone heard any additional info about Anniversary Weekend?  I wasnt sure if they planned on posting any info or guidelines regarding parking...shuttles...special quests.  With the crowds they are expecting I would think that there could be some logistical problems come up that weekend if some special arrangements were not made.

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anniversary Weekend
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 02:39:51 PM »
I have wondered that myself.  We are staying at Deer Run that weekend and I think that we may be walking to the city from there to avoid some of the craziness!

I am actually starting to get apprehensive about going that weekend.  What if it is too busy? 
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 05:00:23 PM »
Booked my room at the Deer run in January.  I figure if it gets too crazy I can leave and walk back to the motel and go back when I recharge.  Since I am staying 5 days on this trip the only problem will be going into town and trying to get back.  But a little traffic never hurt anyone....did it?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 07:30:39 PM »
It's definitely going to be one of the more busy weekends of the year, but I don't think it will be a sea of humanity. Not everyone is as excited about it as we are  ;)

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 08:31:57 PM »
What is the safest/easiest way to walk to the SDC from Deer Run now that they have the new roads going through?

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 10:00:17 PM »
I think you can take the parking lot shuttle to the last stop and walk from there.  I think there is a walkway to the motel from there.  Just trying to remember what I saw on my last visit.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 10:08:51 PM »
Deer run has it's own shuttle straight to SDC in the morning, that's what I usually use. Other than that, you can walk down to the lot closest to Deer Run, but beware of the road down there: it's very dangerous and the tram operators will have to stop and get mad if you walk on the road. If they aren't loading at that parking lot yet, you'll have to cross the highway and jump over fences, which is extremely dangerous due to the curves in the road and such. It's a LOT harder to just walk to SDC from Deer Run than it used to be, so I strongly advise just taking the Deer Run shuttle.

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 12:26:26 PM »
At Christmastime anyway, we were sometimes able to tell the driver that comes to pick up people where the employees catch a bus (can't remember what other lots/destinations that bus serves--but it's way on down from the turnstiles) that we were staying at Deer Run, and the driver would take us there.  On our visits, it's been a Silver Dollar City bus that picked us up and brought us back to Deer Run.  Deer Run has a schedule, but sometimes they will return you to Deer Run off-schedule if they can.  It can't hurt to ask.

Otherwise, we get off at the tram stop (is it 5? 6?) that is on the same side of the highway as Deer Run.  It is a steep walk down to the motel, but not too bad.  It's a rare day (at least on the weekend), that no one is parked in that lot after a few hours of being open. 

This has been are experience for staying at Deer Run for our last three Christmas trips. 

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 10:37:15 PM »
Well, I finally did it today. I made reservations for those former employee half price tickets for anniversary weekend. Today was the deadline. So, I will be there, unless something really unusual happens. I'm looking forward to the employee reunion even more than a high school reunion. I'd like to make plans to meet with some of the sdcfan.com folk on that Saturday. So let me hear from you. I have flirted with the idea of taking anyone interested down to the Lost River for a tour. You know, a former JUNIOR shows you around the building, pointing out things that are left over from the old ride. Let me know if you are interested. If you are really serious, post a message here or send me a private message and we'll talk more about it. I'll have to limit myself to one tour, as my wife will attend with me that day and she is not really too interested in hearing more stories out of me about the "good old days." I cannot blame her. She's a good gal, though, and I gotta keep keep her happy doing some of the things she wants to do. Ain't nobody happy unless mama is happy! ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 11:16:43 PM »
I am so jealous of anyone who gets to attend during the anniversary weekend! Unfortunately, due to my work schedule I will not be able to attend, however, I will be making a visit this May. (Save me some cake. ;))

I hope everyone who attends remembers to take lots, and lots of pictures, and videos of the event. This is truly a remarkable, and a once in a life time occasion.

Plus, for those lucky enough, you just might get a personal tour of the Lost River of the Ozarks by Junior! ;D

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 12:39:13 AM »
I plan on skipping the rides so I can focus on video and photos (though with Tinmann around, I think I'll focus mainly on video).

I would SO love to do that tour, Junior!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 04:12:02 PM »
^As Ozark BBQ said, everyone take lots and lots of pictures and post trip reviews! Had plans to go but prom only happens twice.  :P
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
Well unless you date older or younger people, and then legally it can happen maybe 4 times if your lucky! Or become a teacher like many of us, and you will experience all the glory of the Prom every year!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 08:27:23 PM »
^I am not interested in teaching AT ALL. After all the budget cuts and everything happening everywhere, it just does not interest me in the least.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 08:28:22 PM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 09:59:21 PM »
Yippee!  I am not chaperoning prom this year!  I had basketball homecoming duty.

Anyway, my family was planning on going to the 50th celebration weekend, but we HAVE to go to my husband's family reunion instead.  Dang it!

So, we are in Branson this weekend instead!  Yippee! We're going to SDC tomorrow--our first trip this season.   :)