Author Topic: Kaintuck Territory  (Read 5176 times)

ghosthost

• View Profile
Kaintuck Territory
« on: April 17, 2010, 07:24:30 PM »
Does anyone remember the shuttered SDC knockoff KAINTUCK TERRITORY near Kentucky Dam

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Kaintuck Territory
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 08:03:40 AM »
I do remember Kaintuck Territory. When I lived in Southeast Missouri, a fellow I went to church with was a train robber at the park for several years. Said he had a great time there. We always felt a kinship with one another since we both had worked at theme parks. I never had the chance to go to the park, myself. I imagine it is sitting there, rotting away and a fun place for vandals, now. If anyone has photos or publicity material, please post it.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 11:23:12 AM »
Well, I’ll be a monkey’s uncle! Okay, not really, but I had never heard of such a place as Kaintuck Territory before. Oh the questions I have now! :D

What years did it operate?
How similar was it to Silver Dollar City?
What sort of attractions did it offer?
How large of a theme park was it?
Was there any competition between it, and the Silver Dollar City in Tennessee?
What caused it to meet its demise?

sdcforever

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 11:46:36 AM »
Per Wikipedia, it operated during the 60s and 70s.  There's some good info in the entry, but not a whole lot of specifics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaintuck_Territory

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 04:56:08 PM »
To be blunt...if SDC is a #1 class attraction (I think it is) then Kaintuck Territory would be second rate at best. It was a small park...like the Wikipedia entry says, it pretty much was a day trip for people who lived in the area where Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Illinois all meet. As much as some on this site love Dogpatch, in my opinion, when compared to SDC, it too was second rate. Libertyland in Memphis is another example of a nice, small park, but  not a huge regional draw like SDC. Libertyland is a nice day trip for a family in Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee or Mississippi. That's about it. The downfall for the small parks is that in many cases they cannot compete with the big parks. In Libertyland's case, you got all of Memphis around you...Graceland, Beale Street, so much to do, why spend too much time at the little park?  Libertyland complements Memphis, Memphis complements Libertyland. Kaintuck Territory was out in the middle of nowhere...just like Jesse James Territory was in Missouri at Sullivan in the late 60s, early 70s. Six Flags St. Louis, SDC, and Worlds of Fun offered more, and Jesse James Territory dried up...fast.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"