Author Topic: Butterfield Stagecoach  (Read 4274 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Butterfield Stagecoach
« on: March 01, 2010, 05:03:49 PM »
For the last few years, local history groups in southwest Missouri and northwest Arkansas have promoted a Butterfield Stagecoach trail in the Ozarks. I saw an article in the northwest Arkansas edition of the Arkansas Democrat Gazette today (3/1/10) that says a study is underway now to look at the trail history, with a goal of being added to the National Park Service's trails systems.  There is to be a meeting 3/2/10 from 3-5pm on the Fayetteville, AR Town Center in which representatives of the National Park Service's regional trails office will present a plan to conduct a three year determination study to verify the history of the Butterfield Trail. The Fayetteville Town Center is located at 15 W Mountain Street. Frank Norris, the NPS office historian is quoted as saying, "Northwest Arkansas has been a real hotbed of interest...we're pleasantly surprised to see that level of interest." The nearby town of Lowell, AR was originally named "Mudtown" by a driver on the Butterfield Stagecoach Line, as the roads were so muddy at the time the stagecoach made stops there. Elkhorn Tavern, at Pea Ridge National Military Park, was also a Butterfield Stagecoach stop, and one old building at Springdale, AR still stands...it was a combination restaurant, hotel and depot for the stagecoach. Of course, the stagecoach at SDC was named in honor of the Butterfield Stagecoach Line. I'll try to keep you posted on this, if there is an interest.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: Butterfield Stagecoach
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 06:07:58 PM »

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 08:15:45 PM »
I loved the Butterfield Stagecoach as a kid.  Junior, do you have any of the old ride path layouts or training materials?  I know the general path that it took, but it would be neat to see a layout of the attraction.

I wish I was close enough to go to the meeting in Fayetteville.  Why didn't they have cool stuff like that when I was in school in Fayetteville?
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 08:46:19 AM »
Thanks, Rube for that Web connection. That is mighty interesting!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 07:03:03 AM »
The Butterfield Stagecoach Trail meeting was held in Fayetteville, AR Tuesday (3/2/10). According to the Rogers, AR Morning News, National Park Service represtentatives outlined a three year plan to bring the stagecoach trail up to national recognition, a part of the national trails system. Other nationally known routes include the Trail of tears, Pony Express, and Oregon Trail. Public scoping meetings like the one at Fayetteville will also be held in Missouri, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, and Oklahoma.  A historical note: John Butterfield operated his stage line from 1858-1861 to run mail and passengers from Tipton, MO to San Francisco. The 2,800 mile trip took 25 days. That was running coaches 24 hours a day. The old stagecoach ride at SDC was named in honor of the Butterfield line.