Author Topic: Other Old Time Attractions around Branson  (Read 20655 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Other Old Time Attractions around Branson
« on: January 13, 2010, 04:24:32 PM »
I recall several attractions around Branson in the 1960's and '70's and '80's that are no longer around. Let me throw out a few names and see how many others remember them, too. Jessie James Confusion Hill/Motel/Restaurant (where the veterans museum is now) Grandpa's Farm (north of Branson on Hwy 65) Shad Heller's Corncrib Theater and Wilderness Settlement on Hwy 76, the original Mutton Hollow (where Celebration City now rots away) and Tanglewood, located on Fall Creek Road (it was owned and operated by Lloyd Durre, who played the shepherd at Shepherd of the Hills for many years) How about these old music shows...Foggy River Boys (When I was in high school, two of the Foggy River Boys went to the same church as my family) Bob-o-Links Country Hoedown (where Legends/Osmonds Theater is now) and Plummer Family (Randy Plummer is still active in the Branson music scene) Anyone have any memories of these places? How about some pictures? Post 'em and let's see what  you've got!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Other Old Time Attractions around Branson
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 05:09:24 AM »
We always made sure to stop at the Shepherd Of The Hills book store. It was the only thing between SOTH and SDC.

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 11:16:37 AM »
The Sammy Lane Pirate Cruise.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 04:07:14 PM »
When they "cleaned out" downtown Branson to build the (allegedly financially troubled) Branson Landing, we lost several old time attractions like the Sammy Lane Pirate Cruise and Mang Field, where back in the days of long ago, the St. Louis Cardinals did some spring training and off season practice. (I think that was in the 30's and 40's) There used to be a city owned swimming pool adjacent to Mang Field. The old White River Hotel was another landmark swept away with the Branson Landing project.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sdcforever

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 04:19:56 PM »
^That is one of the areas of Branson I miss the most.  I just can't appreciate the Landing with everything that was lost.  We used to stay in the cabins at the Allendale Sharp Resort and take walks in downtown Branson past the White River Hotel, the swimming pool, the baseball field, and down to the dock where they had boat rentals, the Lake Queen, and Sammy Lane Pirate Cruise.  Those are some of my favorite Old Time Attractions.  I also still miss Mutton Hollow. :'(

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 06:29:52 PM »
Same here on Mutton Holler.  I miss the "long" drive from the strip to SOTH.  I miss seeing "Jim Lane's" cabin.  But above all, I miss that feeling you got back then.  Today it is about the dollar sign.  Back then, you really thought you were stepping back in time.  Alright....now I'm depressed!  THANKS A LOT!   :D

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 06:38:09 PM »
The Sammy Lane Resort in downtown also was lost with Branson Landing. When movie stars made personal appearances at the old Jim Owen Theater in downtown Branson, they would sometimes stay there. I seem to remember seeing some pictures of John Wayne, Gabby Hayes, and others who may have stayed in Branson in the 1940's and 1950's.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 08:02:11 PM »
Mutton Hollow was a great one. My Branson was pre-Dixie Stampede, Olive Garden, Titanic etc. A Branson with the Presley's, Boxcar Willie, Waltzing Waters and Helicopter rides with copters straight out of a Magnum PI episode. Not to say that all the wineries, and new acts detract from my experience, but I do not see it as the same entity. Many others would argue that this was already a time when a "real spirit " had been sold out. It is sad sometimes to see the status on Table Rock to see new and more massive structures appearing on the horizon. Harold Bell Wright put it best with this which echoes still 103 years later.
"Even as he was greeted by the strong master of the hills and his charming wife, there fell upon his ears a dull report as of distant cannon; then another, and another. They led him across the yard, and there to the north on the other side of Roark, men were tearing up the mountain to make way for the railroad. As they looked, another blast sent the rocks flying, while the sound rolled and echoed through the peaceful hills." The Shepherd of the Hills
by Harold Bell Wright, 1907

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 08:47:54 PM »
That last bit of Shepherd of the Hills really cut to my soul the first time I read it. Harold Bell Wright seemed downright psychic in that last chapter.

sdcforever

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 09:47:54 PM »
My Branson was pre-Dixie Stampede, Olive Garden, Titanic etc. A Branson with the Presley's, Boxcar Willie, Waltzing Waters and Helicopter rides with copters straight out of a Magnum PI episode.

I also relate well to that Branson.  I saw the Presley's, Boxcar Willie, and Waltzing Waters growing up.  I also took more than one of those helicopter rides! ;D  Come to think of it, I remember how in awe I was when I heard the construction plans for the Grand Palace and Grand Village.  I saw many wonderful acts at the Grand Palace growing up (Pam Tillis, Lorrie Morgan, Oak Ridge Boys, Loretta Lynn, Barbara Mandrell, Kenny Rogers, and Don Williams, to name a few).  As we all know, the Grand Palace is now defunct too. :-[

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 07:12:00 AM »
My belief is when Morley Safer did the 60 Minutes piece on Branson in the 1990's, the jackels who seek nothing but profit moved in on Branson, killed a huge number of mom and pop style businesses, and brought in corporate mentality. I remember when Red Roof Mall was built. It was great, but there were empty shops there. Then they built Tanger, and it has done well, but it too has empty shops. So someone comes along and builds Branson Meadows, and it is half empty. Then historic downtown Branson is torn down, Branson Landing opens, it's a fun place, but now it is allegedly in serious financial trouble. Branson didn't need four malls, one or two were enough. But greed rules. I remember when Branson had the six month tourist season, roughly May through October. Construction work was done in winter, when no tourists were around. When spring came and the tourists came back, Branson was newly updated, clean, trees and flowers planted, and everything was ready to go. Look at the empty buildings in town when you pass through now. Look at the half finished or abandoned construction areas. See the empty motel buildings. My brother owns a food service business in Branson, a mom and pop owned business. He had to partner with the timeshare places just to survive. Even with that, he only did half the business last year he had done in the past. It's a sorry situation, all the way around. However, I don't mean to be all negative here. If you visit Branson, and I hope you do in 2010, pause, take a good look around, visit those "core" places from years past like SDC, Shepherd of the Hills, Presley's, Baldknobbers, tour College of the Ozarks and visit the museum there, enjoy some of the new attractions and music shows. Then you will still see there is magic left in the town. It's still a place where you can take your family and enjoy a nice vacation. Five generations of my family have visited Branson for a vacation, and we will go back. I hope you and  your family will,too.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 10:55:38 AM »
I did not take it as being negative. Progress sometimes brings these feelings of leaving the old and bringing in the new. I was at SDC the week that 60 minutes was there. It was so hot that the blacktop softened enough to make the camera equipment leave holes all over the square. My family and I would not have visited this place if someone sometime had thought to attract people to the area. Now as then, it is still about money. For me it is a place to get away from anything bothering me. Despite what is going on in the branson and in the world around us, SDC is a place to "get away". This is a place for us to share these thoughts and feelings. Some of the places we talk about that are gone bring those same happy feelings and memories, and no dozer, or conglomerate can those that away! Lets share!

I fondly remember as a child going to nearly every putt putt course on the strip. My favorite was the old west themed one that is now beneath a go cart track. My mom would always (and still does) ask "does anyone want to go play miniature golf?" when she in reality wants to go the most out of anyone!

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 01:14:24 PM »
Progress sometimes brings these feelings of leaving the old and bringing in the new.

Very true quote.  Progress almost always removes some type of "charm" when it comes to things like this.

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 07:38:58 AM »
We all remember days past with great fondness but it was and will be again when the economy bounces back the millions of people who came through Branson that fueled the growth and lead to the changes.  I truly hope that the Branson Landing survives and thrives.  I hope that someone comes up with a plan to reopen the palace and pack in the fans.  I hope that future planners have enough moxy in them to not let Table Rock become another Lake of the Ozarks.  1967 is never coming back.  If it did, or the 70's, 80's , ever did and we could go back to SDC we would find that we miss the changes that have been made.

mbrownx4

• McCoy
  • When can I go back?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 08:23:04 PM »
We used to go down to Branson from Kansas City about 3 to 4 times a year.  That was when Allendale/Sharps was around, and we could stay for $25.00 a night.  We were very heartbroken when that area was all torn down for the rich people's area.  We have found other places to stay, but its not as easy to go down as often. 
Vote to end 2020!