Author Topic: FLASHBACK: 1981 Season!  (Read 2482 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
FLASHBACK: 1981 Season!
« on: February 14, 2011, 09:43:58 AM »
Ah, it was a great year...SDC built and sold a hewn log cabin stocked with crafts goodies during their fall crafts festival...Whitewater was in it's second season...My secret hope was that a publicity photo taken on park with me in it would make it into the park brochure, and my wish came true this season...The Calton Family, performers at SDC, opened their own music show this year in a theater at Notch, MO...construction that winter would be along Lake Silver as a new scrimshaw shop and duck decoy shop was built. It all happened in 1981! See the Flickr site for photos and scans of passport tickets for SDC, Whitewater, and Dogpatch...special ticket savings coupons...the Heritage Homestead flyer...the publicity photo that has me in it that made the brochure for the park...a brochure for the Calton Family Show...and a photo of construction along Lake Silver.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
Re: FLASHBACK: 1981 Season!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 06:48:46 PM »
What was the connection to Dogpatch? Just a mutual exchange? Did the Dogpatch employees get comp'd tickets to SDC?
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 08:22:57 AM »
During the years I worked at SDC, (78-84) the park management offered to employees as a benefit the "Pass-exchange program" in which SDC employees were given free admission, discounted admission, or other types of discounts on goods and services at businesses primarily in the Branson area, but also including Six Flags, Worlds of Fun and Dogpatch. I never paid an admission to get into Dogpatch, I never paid admission to any music show in the Branson area, or Shepherd of the Hills play, or Corn Crib Theater. Also, the employees working at the businesses that took part in the pass-exchange program with SDC got in free to SDC, Whitewater, the SDC waterslide at the campgrounds, and so on. In addition, SDC management put free SDC and Whitewater passes in our paycheck envelopes a few times a year so we could give them to family and friends. The pass exchange program was great...and the businesses benefited because once you went to Dogpatch, Shepherd of the Hills, or where ever, you would buy items in their shops, restaurants, and so on. Plus, as an employee at a tourism related business, you could experience other attractions, and when tourists would ask "what is Dogpatch like?" or "how is Sheperd of the Hills play?" you could honestly tell them you'd been there and enjoyed those places. So the pass exchange program helped employees and operators and helped to increase awareness on what attractions in the region offered, and helped those businesses attract more business from locals and tourists alike. A real win-win situation. All I had to do was show my SDC ID card, and I got in free! Zephon, Copper, or some of the other current citizens will have to give us an update on the pass exchange program, and what it is like for them today...if it is still in effect (and I hope for their sake, it is!)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 08:43:37 AM »
I'm just about at full capacity on my Flickr account, and will soon purge these "flashback" threads and much of the 50th anniversary season photos and illustrations I've posted. So take one more good look at everything on the Flickr site, 'cause much of the content there will disappear in about two weeks. Thanks!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 08:11:05 AM »
I just came across my brochure from this year! It was my first year to the park, and it was 30 yrs ago...man it doesn't seem that long ago does it!