Author Topic: November 2009 Showboat Survey  (Read 2081 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
November 2009 Showboat Survey
« on: November 08, 2009, 08:35:10 PM »
I just took the survey for the Branson Belle, on Friday.  Here are the descriptions of the five new shows being touted:

Riverboat Riot
This may be the funniest show you’ll ever see. In the tradition of riverboat shows from a bygone era, comedic ventriloquists, magicians, jugglers and other specialty acts have been assembled to form a world-class show. Two of these acts are featured on each cruise providing the audience with 50 minutes of non-stop laughter and entertainment. As soon as you think you’ve caught your breath from the first act, the second takes the stage and the fun begins all over again. A personable emcee warms up the audience and then helps tie all of the mayhem together in one unforgettable, side-splitting experience.

Rockin’ Broadway
For this incredible Broadway style production, Rogers and Hammerstein have been replaced by the Four Seasons, Billy Joel, ABBA, Elton John and Phil Collins … even Queen. Major musical productions like Jersey Boys, Movin’ Out, Mamma Mia, Aida, Tarzan, and We Will Rock You have played to packed houses all over the world with the music of today’s contemporary, pop composers. Our star-quality entertainers and a live band weave selections from each of these popular musicals into a jubilant concert event that will have you dancing in the aisles.

M – The ultimate magic show
Two world-class illusionists combine to create 50 minutes of spellbinding magic that will mystify and enthrall audiences of all ages. The magical moments begin as soon as you enter the showroom as each featured magician roams table to table demonstrating amazing, close-up, magical dexterity. But once the house lights dim, each magician takes the audience on an incredible, theatrical journey into the dimension of the unexplained and the physically impossible. Yet, there is nothing dark and sinister about their presentations – just fun and wonder.

Broadway Bound
Take a musical journey to the Great White Way, showboat style, as world-class entertainers and the best live band in Branson recreate the greatest moments from today’s blockbuster hits. Where else can you see a magical, flying nanny (Mary Poppins), witness a legendary witch defying gravity (Wicked), and thrill at a parade of majestic African animals (Lion King) as they gracefully glide by your seat? But it’s not all dramatic spectacle – there are also laughs galore with hilarious scenes from musical comedies such as Spamalot, Young Frankenstein, and Legally Blonde.

Showstoppers
A variety show is like a box of chocolates – you never know what you’re going to get next. Mom will love the beautiful music and dance; Dad will marvel at the amazing talent, while the kids will enjoy the fast-paced energy of the show and the impressive production elements. Plus, the entire family will laugh together at the family-friendly humor of a nationally-renown comedian. Take a dash of show tunes, mix in a pinch of gospel music, sprinkle in some pop songs and top it all off with a grand patriotic finale and you’ve got the recipe for a memorable show experience that will satisfy every taste.

I've never attended a show on the BB, but I was not really impressed with these offerings.  It seems like they are giving up on theme in a lot of areas (See Rockin' Broadway above, and others).  If they are shooting for these more edgy and modern shows and attractions, I would encourage them to build venues to appropriately present them.  A couple of the other shows sound like standard Branson productions.  I like Broadway Bound, but still it didn't seen like a showboat show.

There were also questions in this survey about the economy and how it affects our family, but also questions about whether I think things will get worse, whether when the economy rebounds gas prices will increase, etc. 
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

SteamFreak

• Hatfield
  • DO NOT pull the orange cable.
    • View Profile
Re: November 2009 Showboat Survey
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 09:59:53 AM »
I got this survey, I think I voted for the Riverboat Riot, and the Broadway one, just because I'm a ThemeFreak as well and I'd love to see a show in the 1890's Riverboat theme. I used most of my comment space to talk about re-vamping the food.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 03:21:38 PM »
Hey, Steam, do you have a lisp?  SteamFreak sounds like ThemeFreak if you have a lisp.

I think you and I voted the same way.  It seems like we're trying to make it too complicated.  Just give people what's expected - a Steamboat Show!  Don't try to compete with Vegas; that's not why people vacation in Branson.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 01:11:13 AM »
I liked the show that opened the boat back in 1995. It was a musical telling the story of the Showboat, bring something like that back. I am tired of the same-old-same-old revue show.