Author Topic: Save the Hillbillies!  (Read 22436 times)

jeffthephotog

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: Save the Hillbillies!
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2010, 08:37:12 PM »
I LOVE Vance Randolph!!! Great writer.
Avid fan for 42 years.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2010, 09:12:55 PM »
Actually, the entertainment department has been undergoing a dehillbilliation for quite a number of years.  The trend for a number of years has been to bring "sophistication" to the characters (well, that's been the goal anyway).  Gone are any hillbilly type characters in the shows, because, along with all that HB described them as being, they were/are simple and a bit crude.  No more Melvin McCoy, Mercy Pervis, Choctaw Charlie, or Melvin Merkle types of characters.  You see it now in the Saloon with the introduction of the "show producer" characters.  Some of the biggest belly laughs ever in the Saloon used to come from descriptions of goings-on in "the basement of the outhouse," and the like.  A bit crude, but very funny.  Those days are long gone.  You might also have noticed that the big shows in the Opera House have always been oriented toward generic "musical," "Civil War," or "westward expansion," themes.  Not saying that those shows haven't been good (for what they are), but they do represent a movement away from anything that has it's roots in the Ozarks.

That being said, it was announced this year at park orientation that the street troop would be expanded for this season.  A revival of the old "Hatfield and McCoy" characters, more street shows, and the revival of some of the old scripts including the "Little Deputies" show.  I even heard that the "Rainmaker" would be back.  All of that is very good, and a step in the right direction.  I was very happy to hear that from our entertainment division leaders.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2010, 10:21:41 PM »
That being said, it was announced this year at park orientation that the street troop would be expanded for this season.  A revival of the old "Hatfield and McCoy" characters, more street shows, and the revival of some of the old scripts including the "Little Deputies" show.  I even heard that the "Rainmaker" would be back.  All of that is very good, and a step in the right direction.  I was very happy to hear that from our entertainment division leaders.

Man, I hope you are right!

Would it be too much to ask that a musical be developed around old SDC itself?  Set in the city, set to music, and explaining the connection of some of the attractions to the history of the place.  I would love to write it and pick out the music....for the right price.

I LOVE Vance Randolph!!! Great writer.

Jeff, your reference to Ozark folklore needs more explanation...
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2010, 07:22:31 AM »
Regarding entertainment at SDC...

1) Hee Haw, a popular TV show for over 20 years, was "revamped" in the early 90's and became more
                   sophisticated, with comedy bits moved from the barn loft to the shopping mall. It proved to be the
                   LAST season for the show. Hee Haw Silver ran the next year...re-runs of old shows...ratings went
                   back up. But it was too late. TNN cable showed original series re-runs the year after that, and they
                   were the second highest rated shows on the network.

2) CBS Removed top ten rated "rural" shows like Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Hee Haw, and others
                   from their line up about 68 or 69, going to a more sophisticated line up. No TV exec in his right mind
                   would do that today. Ratings mean big ad revenue.

This tells me sometimes the powers that be are just out of touch with what has worked in the past. Georgia, maybe ya outta spend more time in Missouri, in the cradle. 
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2010, 09:10:19 AM »
Seems to me that a country show about two good oldboys and their orange Charger was in the top ten of the rating in the 90's too.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2010, 09:56:23 AM »
Good points.  Like you point out, this has been happening all around us for a very long time.  Once it happens, there is not much you can do about it.

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2010, 09:59:39 AM »

2) CBS Removed top ten rated "rural" shows like Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Hee Haw, and others
                   from their line up about 68 or 69, going to a more sophisticated line up. No TV exec in his right mind
                   would do that today. Ratings mean big ad revenue.

Junior, don't be so sure they wouldn't do that today.  Because it's not about ratings, but demographics.  The reason CBS removed those shows (including my all-time favorite "The Andy Griffith Show") was because, even though they were hugely popular, they weren't popular with the people CBS was going after for the ad dollars.  That's why shows like "The Bachelor" (which I wouldn't watch if they paid me.) continue season after season...because they are popular with a group of people advertisers want to reach. 
In His grip!

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2010, 10:38:41 AM »
PC Change #6:  Wildfire will now come with a "Don't drink/Don't drive disclaimer - just in case anybody gets any ideas.  Likewise all little brown jugs will come with a "Drink responsibly" label.

PC Change #5:  Powder Keg begins its new anti-smoking campaign in 2010.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2010, 11:20:12 AM »
P.C. Change #4: The Saloon Girls will now be referred to as Entertainment Persons, and will be required to wear less provocative clothing such as kaki pants, and polo shirts.

P.C. Change #3: Grandfather’s Mansion will be renamed to the Citizen of Advancing Years Residence.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 01:34:51 PM by History Buff »

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2010, 11:12:50 PM »
This'd be great to bolster appreciation:

The Interactive Hillbilly Museum, located on the grounds of the former Celebration City, is a state of the art, multimillion dollar facility outlining the hillbilly culture of the Ozarks.  Executed in an entertaining and captivating fashion, the museum and convention center was announced by HFE to be a joint venture with the City of Branson, the State of Missouri, and other unnamed investors.  The convention center will feature a hotel with several amenities and rooms themed to the proud hillbilly culture.  The hotel restaurant will offer a variety of "lost menu" items directly from the 1800s.

The central piece of the center, however will be the museum and education center which will walk guests through the sights, sounds, and smells of the Ozarks at the turn of the 20th Century, with a special focus on the tenacity and ingenuity of the hill people.  Special emphasis will be placed on the powerful and infamous vigilante group known as the bald knobbers in a 4D theater production designed exclusively for the structure.  In a second theater, live music will be performed daily, and expert interpretation programs will be held for special groups.  In another section, guests will enjoy working with hands-on displays, interacting with kiosks, and role-playing.  Finally, as in most entertaining venues, a full-line store will round out the experience, offering simple souvenirs, quality hand-made items, and an extensive selection of books and other educational items.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2010, 08:31:38 AM »
Uh, History Buff, I think your post aptly describes the Ozark Folk Center at Mountain View, Arkansas. Really.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2010, 11:32:03 AM »
I've never been there, but have been interested.  How long does it take to tour it?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2010, 01:25:10 PM »
Directly from the Arkansas Tour Guide 2010: "With activities for the young and old, the Ozark Folk Center is dedicated to perpetuating the crafts, herbal wisdom and music of the Ozark Mountains. Visit working crafters and musicians, learn how to throw a bowl, forge iron, stitch a quilty or any of the more than 20 crafts. Purchase handcrafted goods directly from the person who created them. Enjoy acoustic music during the day in the craft village outdoor stage and druing evening shows in the 1,000 seat auditorium. Listen to all acoustic pre-1941 music along with special celebrity concerts scheduled throught the year. Also 60 cabins, conference center, restaurant, general store/visitors center, gift shop and large herb garden. Located off Arkansas 5, 9, and 14. 870-269-3655, cabin reservations. Ozarkfolkcenter.com"

Located at Mountain View, Arkansas    The center had a large library of resource material about folk life and history of the Ozarks, but when the curator and resident historian passed away a few years ago, the material was transferred to the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville, where I think it is housed now at the Library special collections facility.

Frankly, this state of Arkansas operated facility...along with Dogpatch USA...and Silver Dollar City, all directly competed against each other. Dogpatch lost out first and is gone. The Ozark Folk Center, honestly, is not doing as well as it did a few years ago. You'll notice SDC moved away from arts and crafts and started building rollercoasters...hmmmmm....financially, SDC is the most secure. If it were not for state funding, the Ozark Folk Center, as special of a place as it is, would be heading in the same direction of Dinosaur World and Dogpatch.