Author Topic: PK's Splash Pool  (Read 7389 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
PK's Splash Pool
« on: August 30, 2007, 06:01:52 PM »
Have they ever finished PK's splash pool/qater thingy? After the final drop off the lift, you speed through two large concrete boxes that have been painted blue. I was told that a water feature would be here, but here we are two seasons later and it's still just two large concrete boxes. Anyone hear/ see anything about them working on it? Maybe this off-season will allow them to finish it up.

sdcfan17

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: PK's Splash Pool
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 08:39:08 PM »
one time I was working the water blasters were working at the very end were you break at the very end but other than that I have not seen them running at all. I would like to it would be a very cool addition to the ride.
Silver Dollar City Rocks!!!!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 09:16:02 PM »
Ah yes, and of course there are other water effects that I've already forgotten about. At least they kept the fire and the water/barrel effects out front.

From what I could tell, the concrete blocks would have held a kind of water tunnel, made by arced water sprays.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 10:50:28 PM »
I've also wondered when they will get that up and running. If it doesn't get done this offseason, do you think that it will ever get done?? I mean it'll be PK's 3rd season and it still won't be done....kinda makes ya wonder.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 10:57:50 PM »
^Well, SDC isn't the kind of place that just leaves stuff like that around. I'm really, really surprised that they've left it this long, there must be something seriously wrong with it.

sdcfan17

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 09:36:41 AM »
the next time I'm down there prob. next weekened I will ask a pk worker about it. The splash pool origanly wasn't the concept, they wanted it to be a small T.N.T shack and when the car went through it the shack would explode but I don't know what ever happened to the idea, it wouldv'e been pretty cool.
Silver Dollar City Rocks!!!!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 09:56:28 PM »
Quote from: Conductor Sam
The pool was designed to be a water effect as riders go flying down the lift hill. The idea was that riders would catch fire as they were blasted out at the beginning of the ride. The pool was designed to “put out the fire.” However, the designers haven’t quite perfected the effect to how they’d like it to look. Maybe we’ll see it working soon.

Huh, funny how they started building it before they knew what they wanted it to look like.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 09:24:47 PM »
Anyone ever hear anything more about this. Haven't been to the park for a year, but as of last fall, nothing had been done to this part of the ride as far as I could tell.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 11:18:19 PM »
Another classic old thread brought to life I see! ;D

If they are not going to do anything with it then I think they should just simply remove it completely. I would rather just see the ground while hurdling down the hill than two random concrete boxes.  :)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 11:27:52 PM »
I don't think they want to spend the money to remove the concrete at this point, nor do they probably want to spend anything to cover them up and/or put in a real tunnel there instead.

It's my guess that the water feature never panned out due to issues with the sensors on the ride that are finnicky when water gets on them. That's just the only reason I can think of. It's weird how sometimes there's a little water shooting up through the tracks there though... maybe they just cut the budget at the last second.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 08:17:13 AM »
It's weird how sometimes there's a little water shooting up through the tracks there though... maybe they just cut the budget at the last second.

That's to cool off the the tires.
SWOOSH

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 08:26:42 AM »
I just wish they would turn the water back on in the spinning barrels beside the launch building. 
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 08:30:44 AM »
I don't think they want to spend the money to remove the concrete at this point, nor do they probably want to spend anything to cover them up and/or put in a real tunnel there instead.

Does it really take that much money to get out a sledge hammer, and a bull dozer? Just an honest question. :P

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 08:34:25 AM »
I just wish they would turn the water back on in the spinning barrels beside the launch building. 

I agree! Perhaps "there's something in the water" (pun intended ;)) at that location because it seems both Buzzsaw Falls, and PowderKeg have had issues with keeping their special effects working, and staying out of the mechanical dog house

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 09:13:31 AM »
Special effects are the first to go in a ride and its sad because they are what makes it special and gives the experience the edge ( for me anyway).
While standind in line for PowderKeg a rider asked the man ride op ( a grey gentleman that is usually there) who made the ride.
He explained over the P.A. that is was a company out of Utah and added that although Wildfire could operate in a hurricane that PK was very finicy, said that when the tracks are wet the wheels spin on the first hill and will sometimes not make it over.  Maybe this is why they cant get the cars wet at the dip. I must say that when I was there the other day the concrete on those bins looked like they were " hard water" stained, meaning they have been used.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 09:27:08 PM by mhguy77 »