Author Topic: SDCFans Teachers  (Read 100859 times)

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: SDCFans Teachers
« Reply #210 on: June 25, 2010, 03:38:37 AM »
Icky...summer school in July!  I agree that summer school is not my favorite gig, but the money comes in handy.

I did have time to tweak things for next year, but my brain is ready for vacation now.

We have a mini-trip to Branson this weekend, and we are heading to Colorado for the family vacation in July.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #211 on: June 25, 2010, 11:30:41 AM »
I'm hoping I have enough of a buffer/break between school, summer school, and the new school year.  It might work better this way.  And it's only two weeks!  Surely I can do it for two weeks.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 01, 2010, 07:49:37 AM »
OK, I'm being nosy here, but I've seen several of the posting from our SDCFans.com teachers who say in one posting they teach one subject, and in another posting, they mention something else. So, let's line up all the teachers on our Website and find out which subjects they teach! Rube, you have mentioned coaching, art, photography. I've seen someone mention they teach band, too...just curious...are they still doing the thing in the public schools where you teach one subject in the morning, and maybe a different one in the afternoon because the district is too cheap to hire two teachers to do the work?  ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #213 on: August 01, 2010, 09:16:41 AM »
SWOOSH

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 01, 2010, 10:04:43 AM »
I primarily teach language arts to sophomores, but in a small school district, you probably wear many hats!  I also teach speech, coach the speech team, and direct the fall play.  I never really thought I would be doing the rest.  I did forensics in high school, and during my years at Crowder, I was involved in theatre.  When I was hired, my district was looking to revive its speech program.  So, one Praxis and countless professional development hours later, here I am.   :)

By the way, I am going into my classroom later this week.  Anyone else?  I can't believe it's August already.  I have to start working on things so I don't panic.  Officially, I have to be there Aug. 16.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 01, 2010, 12:32:03 PM »
Yeah our first work day is the 16th and we get kids on the 19th.
I will probably go in at least one day this week and put in a full day.  My room is a mess right now, but that's usually the case right before school starts.
SWOOSH

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 01, 2010, 12:44:36 PM »
Well, I am an odd ball. I am a former art teacher, that in order to keep a job in the district/ school, I  had to go back and persue a masters several years ago to apply for a job as a gifted education teacher. Being a gifted student in the same district, I was familiar with the mentality, and the programs offered. At this time I teach gifted students (Literal geniuses) language arts & social studies. This means 6 preps a day (I have to get ready for 6 different classes in 6 different hours). I am a coach of 2 high school sports, and I am our schools STUCO sponsor, and the sponsor of our Quiz Bowl Team. Other than this, I am the designer for our schools shirts, banners, etc, as well as the school historian, and sometimes I get to do things that are not involved with school when I go home at night like photography and painting. I miss art classes which was my undergrad degree, but the beneficial thing is that now I do not do art all day long, so when I gt home I hav the drive to create that I did not have the years of teaching art (I would be mentally shot when I got home, I would not want to pick up a brush at all).

I go back this coming Thursday...ugggghhhhh no kids yet though

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 01, 2010, 01:33:06 PM »
Well, I am an odd ball.
Well, we kinda knew that already.   ;)

I, too, am returning on the 16th and beginning the 18th, although I'm doing a lot of inservices starting tomorrow and working every day this week.  I love my job, but I also enjoy my time off!!!  Incidentally, why are so many people worried about global warming; personally, I'm more concerned that time is speeding up and no one seems to notice!

I teach fourth graders, but am certified to teach secondary communication arts, speech, and theater. 

http://hoggatt.edublogs.org/

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 01, 2010, 01:55:04 PM »
Well, all these years I thought teachers went to school nine months and had three months off! ;) Sounds like you all have your hands full! Thanks for doing what you do to help the next generation along!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 01, 2010, 01:58:23 PM »
Thanks, Junior.  It is much more involved than most people think.  There is a lot of work "behind the scenes", as well as in the areas of "public relations" and (these days) politics.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 01, 2010, 02:07:51 PM »
I fully believe the saying "a teacher is NEVER off the clock"
I'd LOVE to hae 3 months off and only work 8-3 everyday like so many people think we do.
SWOOSH

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 01, 2010, 04:13:09 PM »
I fully believe the saying "a teacher is NEVER off the clock"
I'd LOVE to hae 3 months off and only work 8-3 everyday like so many people think we do.

Isn't that the truth?  Even in so-called downtime, I'm thinking about what worked and what didn't.  I taught summer school in June, and I spent some of the day working on things for next year.  After summer school, I still was considering what to do.  I still haven't figured out what the fall play will be, and I need to do the play earlier this year.  I'm still previewing scripts for forensics.  It never seems to end, does it?

By the way, I plan to implement an independent reading program along with the literature we read for class.  It's worked well for some teachers.  Have any of you tried something like this?  Also, I'm going to try literature circles.  These changes scare me to death, but maybe they will benefit the kids.  Everyone keeps saying that today's kids are different and we need to meet their needs, but it scares me to try things that I've never seen implemented first-hand.

I've rambled on again...continue your conversation.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 01, 2010, 04:57:15 PM »
^Have you guys done "A Typically Atypical Day" ?  It is a very fun 1 act play that I was in when I was in high school (man that was a long time ago).  "Arsenic and Old Lace" is another fun one to do as well.
SWOOSH

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 01, 2010, 05:35:42 PM »
^Have you guys done "A Typically Atypical Day" ?  It is a very fun 1 act play that I was in when I was in high school (man that was a long time ago).  "Arsenic and Old Lace" is another fun one to do as well.

I'll check out the one-act.  We'll need one for competition.  Arsenic and Old Lace would be fun.  I have an abundance of girls, and I never know how many guys will turn out.  I'm trying to do the play before basketball season this year.  Football doesn't affect us nearly as much.

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 01, 2010, 11:27:17 PM »
I'm on a true 10 month contract, so I report to work tomorrow!  Kids start on the 16th though.  I'm in the career tech system here in Oklahoma so my contract is Aug 1 through May 31.

Yeah...you gotta love all those idiots out there that think we only only work 7 hours a day and 180 days.  They rank right up there with the other idiots that say "Those who can't do...teach!"  I guess they were born naturally smart....... ::)