Author Topic: Do they ever make candy anymore?  (Read 3359 times)

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Do they ever make candy anymore?
« on: August 03, 2009, 12:12:53 AM »
Taking a clue from false memories I was wondering do they ever make candy in the candy store anymore.  I remember as a child the steps would be packed watching the candy makers make peanut brittle( or some form) fudge, taffy.  It seemed to me that it was so packed and hot that you could not get in.  Now when we go by it is always empty.  We have been at the city five time in the last two years.  Our grandson has yet to watch them do the majic that is candy making.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Do they ever make candy anymore?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 02:39:29 AM »
The last couple times I've been in there, they were making brittle. Not sure about anything else...

Joy

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 04:08:54 AM »
I've seen them make brittle several times this year plus have also seen the workers dip strawberries in chocolate.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 07:29:31 AM »
They made fudge this weekend

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 03:34:07 PM »
I know they have made more than brittle, but in all my years, that's all I've ever caught them making.  It seems I've seen an old video or documentary of making candy canes for Christmas, but I seem to remember this video was from before Old Time Christmas was established.  Somehow that doesn't make sense.

betamike?

Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

RollaJedi

• May the Force be with Ya'll!
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets: Missouri and Kansas SW Fan Site
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 04:03:09 PM »
i've always wondered, do the workers at silver dollar city actually make all the food you see at the park that is sealed up, like as in the cans of sauce, candies, and anything else sealed?  Or is that actually done somewhere else?
Huge Star Wars fan.  Owner of the official Missouri and Kansas Star Wars fan community, Coreplanets.

http://www.coreplanets.com

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 07:27:02 PM »
I know they have made more than brittle, but in all my years, that's all I've ever caught them making.  It seems I've seen an old video or documentary of making candy canes for Christmas, but I seem to remember this video was from before Old Time Christmas was established.  Somehow that doesn't make sense.

betamike?

My field of expertise!  Yes, they actually do....and the more you buy, the more they make!  Actually the reason you only see certain candies being made are simple:  The upstairs is purely for craft purposes and the real workhorses are in the basement making the taffy base, divinity, hard candies, hand dipped, fudges, brittles, 3 layer cocount, etc.....

We would take inventory of what was being sold Upstairs, Branson Landing, White Water, etc....and make the remainder on demand.  We have a Nut Room (nothing like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) and a chocolate room (again, same..) and bring all ingredients up by dum-waiter. 

It is truly one of the most hands-on craft areas in the City....that you can consume anyway.  I still try my hand at my craft and my Disney co-workers LOVE that. 

During the winter times, they will make some hard candies for show purposes upstairs, but based the upstairs candy is always based on the humidity levels.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!