Author Topic: 50th Logo  (Read 10781 times)

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
50th Logo
« on: July 09, 2009, 02:58:21 PM »
The 50th Anniversary logo can be seen on the SDC website under schedules and brochures with the online version of the times mailer. What do you think of it?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: 50th Logo
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 05:08:12 PM »

SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 05:48:17 PM »
It's OK. I would have made it more rustic, rather than trying to emulate Disney, but it works. Now if we just knew some more details about any possible festivities.

sdcforever

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 07:54:01 PM »
I agree.  It would be better if it didn't look like a Disney logo.  Apparently more details are forthcoming on their website.  It'll be interesting to see what they have planned.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 07:57:58 PM »
The "pixie dust" does scream Disney doesn't it?  That was the first thing I thought of when I saw it.  It does look nice though.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 08:39:19 PM »
I didn't like the font of the 50; I think that is what makes it Disneyesque - not so much the sparkles.

I was thinking what you're calling pixie dust actually gave the ax some motion.  I can envision a lumberjack throwing a CGI ax.  The ax swings and swoops through the park and lands in the log.

And all SDC Fans receive a solid gold axe stuck into a sterling silver dollar as a souvenir!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 08:51:54 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 11:41:55 PM »
It works. I'm excited to see what they have in store!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 03:44:29 PM »
The instant I saw it, "When you wish upon a star..."  started going through my head.  I guess if it works, for them.  I'm anxious to see what they come up with to celebrate, such as bigger headliners, bring back some characters, such as Noel doing a guest appearance as Rube, silver dollar tokens, and maybe even a "hall of history"!
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 05:21:59 PM »
You want a hall of history? Come on over I'll give you the tour! I have much more than you would think! I am like a good card player I haven't even begun to show my hand yet! (no I secretly do not have Terry Sanders in the basement or anything CREEPY like that!)

SteamFreak

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
Doc won't get out of my basement...try that for creepy!

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 12:45:54 AM »
WOW.  I hadn't seen that yet.  It is sad isn't it.  Nothing about it says Silver Dollar City, except the obvious.  It really points out the fact that our "corporate," based in Atlanta, is really out of touch with what makes SDC, well, SDC.  And that of course is reflected in the disturbing trends that some of you have mentioned in other threads.  Lack of street entertainers, a "Culinary Arts School" (what's with that?), production shows instead of the down-home comedy, fewer crafts demos, etc, etc.  It's really sad.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 10:21:24 PM »
Please contain your excitement for the 50th birthday bash. ;D

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 11:09:18 PM »
I am choosing to go the optimistic route and hope that the Disney-ish logo indicates perhaps they will go all out for their 50th like Disney did for theirs. You never know. I mean, we have several former & current Citizens on the forum, and we're the only SDC fansite around, so it wouldn't surprise me if they read this board.

So who knows. Maybe they'll borrow some of our ideas, which I would LOVE. There are some amazing ideas on the 50th Anniv thread.

So, yeah. I choose to remain optimistic.

Joy

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 11:43:44 PM »
My ideas for the 50th:

-Strip the various *fest stuff. Make every day an SDC-fest, free of Nickelodeon characters or anything else that isn't in theme.
-Play up the nostalgia. Don't be afraid of that; there is plenty for kids and teens to love about a "pure" SDC. Advertise it!
-Characters and Citizens: more of them! Bring back the improv shows. Have more casual bands performing.

But, y'all already know I'm a nostalgia visitor. I was saddened that we only saw one Citizen who wasn't part of a specific ride or display. (He was a tall hillbilly, at least 6'8", wandering around the square. We were just passing through, so we didn't see him interacting with guests.)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 12:13:42 AM »
I'm with ya on all those. And here's another: fly hot air balloons in the Cathedral Room of Marvel Cave.

I was telling my friend about how I'd missed seeing that by one day the last time they did it, and I thought "Oh hey, they should do that for the 50th celebration!"

Joy