Author Topic: 2023 Crowds / Trip Reports  (Read 16481 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: 2023 Crowds / Trip Reports
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2023, 12:36:57 PM »
Made it up there this past weekend for the last visit of the year with my family. Rode FITH a few final times. Friday was rainy off and on in the evenings, so crowds weren't too bad, but on Saturday it was packed as usual. I waited in the longest line for FITH that I've ever waited for it to get my last ride. It stretched almost back to the Powderkeg sign.

Bitter sweet to say goodbye, but I'm looking forward to the new one.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2023, 02:49:35 PM »
We were there too.  Wish I knew you were there; would have stopped and said hi.  I also stood in quite a few lines for fire in the hole but they were very efficient in getting riders on the trains and I never waited longer than 30 minutes.
I'm Your Huckleberry

KevinLong

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2023, 02:15:45 PM »
not many trip reports from the holiday season -- has the sparkle left the world best holiday display?
or is it the economy, bidens fault? trumps fault?  just seems strange -no highway horror stories or glowing reports...

any Ideas?

my two cents...

Kevin

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2023, 03:35:18 PM »
As for the highway stories, I think that the road changes on 76 have had a huge impact. We were there Monday and Wednesday this week, and Thanksgiving night and never hit traffic. We were really surprised.

Overall, we thought operations were great last night. It wasn't super packed, but very busy. We did enter through the side gate that goes down by the cave and enters the park by the candy shop. Lines looked long for food, but they all seemed to move quickly.

We've been down about 5 times so far for An Old Time Christmas and haven't had a bad experience! I tend to just post on Facebook and Instagram... never thinking to post a report here.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2023, 08:00:26 PM »
I did not get passes this year, or next year.  Maybe the year after. 

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2023, 06:45:33 AM »
With my wife still unable to walk until her surgery, we didn't get to use our passes last year or this.  Then I got RiF'd, so no passes next year . . . .

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2023, 07:07:18 AM »
We were there on Dec. 9th and to be honest after dark the extreme crowds drowned out the lights. When all you see is a sea of people the lights are secondary. Got there about 10 AM and left about 7:00. Getting out was a disaster. The path between hospitality house and Ozark marketplace was at a standstill with people going in both directions. Scooters and wagons made it even worse.  We had a good time early in the day but as it got dark not so much. Ended up walking to stop 3 because the tram lines were so long to get out. Only 1 tram passed us on the way to the lot. Seems they were having trouble dispatching them with all the buses and trams trying to get into the correct spot.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2023, 09:32:22 AM »
With my wife still unable to walk until her surgery, we didn't get to use our passes last year or this.  Then I got RiF'd, so no passes next year . . . .

Sorry to hear you lost your job, Palallin!  We would be happy to get at least 2 of you into the City with our guest passes if you can go sometime.  And they send us coupons to get as many as 4 in at a greatly reduced price, ie $20 each.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2023, 09:01:37 PM »
not many trip reports from the holiday season -- has the sparkle left the world best holiday display?
or is it the economy, bidens fault? trumps fault?  just seems strange -no highway horror stories or glowing reports...

any Ideas?

my two cents...

Kevin

Went last Sunday, it was busy. Very busy. Saw Santa, the parade, and lights.
I really wish they would add a little more to the parade.
Decided to pay for parking when we saw how busy they were so we could walk to our car easily when we left.(when we left we felt very validated for making that choice)
Santa was fantastic as always..

The bells were a nice addition but it felt like a missed opportunity that they weren’t moving.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2023, 07:47:28 AM »
Sorry to hear you lost your job, Palallin!  We would be happy to get at least 2 of you into the City with our guest passes if you can go sometime.  And they send us coupons to get as many as 4 in at a greatly reduced price, ie $20 each.

Thanks, Mark!  I appreciate that very much!

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2023, 09:36:28 AM »
I debated on going this weekend or after Christmas but idk. I have a feeling the crowds will still be crazy from here on out with it being the last week of the season. I will have to see.

The Outlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2023, 10:03:46 PM »
Does Main Street/Midtown still open an hour before the official opening time?

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2023, 09:05:43 AM »
Does Main Street/Midtown still open an hour before the official opening time?

Yes
I'm Your Huckleberry

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2023, 02:11:54 PM »
Looks like SDC's marketing campaign to boost attendance with the closing of FITH has worked. Saw a 120 min wait time on the app earlier.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2024, 11:02:41 AM »
So did anyone on this site get in a ride on Fire in the Hole on it's last day?  We were there December 15th - 16th and rode about 6 times.
I'm Your Huckleberry