Author Topic: 2023 Crowds / Trip Reports  (Read 16467 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: 2023 Crowds / Trip Reports
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2023, 10:16:46 AM »
It's just an advertisement for the pass, I think. They needed something in the park to be a "perk" for the pass to make it seem more valuable on paper. The discounts are really what make the higher level passes worth it, not to mention BAF passes for those who use them. I assume that when it's more busy, they actually man the bridge, but what a pain to have to check passes and turn people away if one person in the group is "lower class".

Cseeley

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2023, 09:46:10 PM »
I didn't really know where to put this but just looking at sdc's website and found they had vip tours. The price for one is around $1000 at the cheapest. I've done many vip tours at theme parks with universal being my favorite with that being half of the price. Has anyone done the vip tour at sdc yet?

pintrader

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2023, 08:05:03 AM »
I didn't really know where to put this but just looking at sdc's website and found they had vip tours. The price for one is around $1000 at the cheapest. I've done many vip tours at theme parks with universal being my favorite with that being half of the price. Has anyone done the vip tour at sdc yet?

I have never done this tour and don't believe I ever would.  What I find is $489.99 plus tax per person with minimum of 2 & max of 10.  Which I guess would be around the $1000 mark but I don't see anything above that price.  What is interesting is this price doesn't even include admission to the park. 

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2023, 08:51:36 PM »
From what I read universals sounds like it’s a group tour unless you pay a higher price, it also use’s demand pricing and is around $350-$400 most of the summer.

I’ve never done any Theme park VIP tours. I’d like to someday but for now I don’t have the money to spend on that.

SDCisHome

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2023, 10:54:38 AM »
I went to the park twice on Saturday. I visited in the morning for a few of hours from about 8:30-11:30 and then in the evening from 8-10 p.m. Saturday started off cool and breezy with a little rain. We went and had breakfast at the Molly's, which was phenomenal. There was a line to get in that stretch almost clear back to the gazebo, I'm sure the rain caused people to want to go inside...however, it didn't take too long to get in. We then walked around the park and went to the Spoken 4 Quartet show at the Boatworks Theatre, highly recommend. Afterwards, we were going to ride the train, but a weather phase 2B was called and they shut it down and took the train back to the roundhouse.

We came back in the evening to walk around a bit. It was nice the park was open until 10. I will say, without Pumpkin Nights or Christmas lights, the park gets rather dark in areas after twilight. We were able to ride FITH, FSDL and TNT. All rides were walk-ons with PK being the only ride shutdown. FITH had four trains going, which seemed like a lot, but not complaining. TNT has one train (Green) as the other train was dismantled and only had 3 cars on the track in the maintenance area. I will say this about TNT...it was brutal. Now, in defense, I sat in the back row, but wow it was rough, and not just in the tunnel, it was everywhere. The only smooth part was the drop after the lift hill. I am not a fan of closing old Arrow Mine Trains, nor am I saying it needs to be...but for the first time ever, the thought of "this ride is in it's final days" did cross my mind, which was sad to think about. Overall, we had a great time, as we always do. I personally love the "Ozarks" theming in the merchandise and marketing. I live in Tulsa and we see SDC billboards all over town and TV commercials all the time with the Ozarks brand.   

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2023, 08:19:19 PM »
Yes, TNT is too rough for me now days even in the front trains.  Last year at least.  We have not been this year.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2023, 09:26:34 PM »
On my visits this year, I have found that I am in the minority in thinking that Thunderation isn’t that bad. I understand why people think it’s rough, but I have never considered it to be close to unrideable. I do always sit in the middle row of a car, which I think helps, instead of being in a wheel seat.

The operations this past Saturday were interesting. Right at park opening, when it was raining, TT, WF, and OR all had only one train running, but when we came back at 4 they all had two running. Then by 9, OR was back down to one train but WF still had two going which I found interesting since OR actually had a decent line (around 20 minutes).

PK opened at around 12:30 on Sunday after being closed all day Saturday, even though the board at the entrance said it was closed on Sunday. Once it reopened, it didn’t seem to have any downtime the rest of the day.

We also got to take advantage of the early ride time on Monday for season pass holders, which is a great benefit along with the first hour trailblazer for gold and diamond passholders. We were in the park at 9 and rode PK, FITH, Barn Swing, OR, MRF, Firefall, TT, and TNT before 10:30.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2023, 08:35:21 AM »
Went this weekend. It was hot as hell, but due to the low crowds it was easy to do everything in a few hours. Didn't even realize they were doing the 50 year anniversary cast reunion for the Saloon this weekend. I thought that was awesome.

Despite the heat, everything seemed to be running fine. Didn't notice anything closed except MRF in the mornings and PK on Sunday. I actually did ride MRF for the first time in a couple years - just can't stay away from the water rides on a day like that even though it was the only ride in the park with a line.

The new furniture store is just about done. They added a few trees in front, but the area is still quite a hole in the old tree canopy. On a day like this you notice were the shade is lacking.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2023, 08:55:17 PM »
I saw an announcement about the 50th reunion.

I thought, "That's impossible, because I remember when it was new, and I'm only... crap. I'm old!"

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2023, 06:25:04 AM »
Anyone going this weekend? We will be there some on Friday evening, & Saturday morning - afternoon.
Anyone heard how the Labor Day weekend crowd was?
Live life like it's the last day!

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2023, 07:44:07 AM »
Went Sunday sept 10th. A decent number of people but not too busy at all, guessing about 9k-11k

3 thoughts from this trip:
SDC should really remove a row of seats on the bus at the front for a stroller storage area, with a safety strap that keeps strollers in that area. (It would be nice if the trams has a section too but it’s a lot easier to take a stroller on the tram and sit with it in your row)

The flooded mine has had a rough summer, many effects were not working. I was last on it in early July and most of the ride was working then. Hopefully they can get some fixed the next few weeks.

Sometime in the last couple of months the ozark marketplace was re-arranged making it more of a maze where you have to navigate around displays to get out. It’s no longer two nice clear paths to walk through if you don’t want to shop.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2023, 07:52:16 AM »
Sometime in the last couple of months the ozark marketplace was re-arranged making it more of a maze where you have to navigate around displays to get out. It’s no longer two nice clear paths to walk through if you don’t want to shop.

Unfortunate.  It was already hard enough to get ECVs through there. 

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2023, 09:57:29 PM »
Anyone going this weekend? We will be there some on Friday evening, & Saturday morning - afternoon.
Anyone heard how the Labor Day weekend crowd was?

We were there in Labor Day. The crowd wasn’t too terrible. It poured for part of the afternoon, but the crowd didn’t thin as much as I’ve seen in the past. Line wait times were long as always. They really need to get some more rides  in that can handle more than 15 people per vehicle. The small vehicles just clog up the lines and the load times are so long.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2023, 07:26:09 PM »
Went to the park this past Friday & Saturday. Just 4 of us, had plans for more people going with us, but they all backed out.
Got to the park around 5p Friday. Paid $117.00 for a 2 day pass. Went straight to FITH. Most everything seemed to be working, it was so much fun. Rode PK next, the crowd was very light. Rode OR next, that ride is so awesome! Then the wife & her daughter rode the GS. Got something for supper, wife & i had a BLT wrap, it was pretty good. Hit FM next, a few of the guns weren't working. It was starting to get dark, so of course we rode TNT. Not bad for a first day and getting there at the end of the day.
Day 2 we didnt do too much. Only stayed until 1p or so, it was getting pretty busy. Got an ECV kart for the first time ever. I was pretty sore from the day before, i have bad hips & arthritis in my knees. That kart was so helpful! Went straight to FITH again for our last & final ride until next year. Sorry to see the ole gal go, but am really looking forward to the NEW FITH, i think its going to be great. We waited on OR for about 20 minutes, for them to do their final checks. When it opened, we were the only ones on the coaster. My brother & i rode in the front. OR is such a wicked ride, that we bought an OR shirt. Went & watched the Saloon show. My wife has never seen it, so that was cool.
Everyone was so tired from the night before, & getting up WAY too early. All of us are used to getting up between 4-5a during the work week in normal life. It is hard to sleep late when you know you have things to do all day. It was a great weekend at SDC. Can not wait to go next year & ride the new FITH!!
Live life like it's the last day!

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2023, 06:02:02 AM »
A mostly great trip yesterday!  Tons of little kids and grandparents in attendance. The longest wait for a ride was MRF and it was about an hour.  Everything else was close to a walk on all day.

There were some glaring missteps though. Within 10 minutes of Pumpkin Plaza, they ran out of cashew chicken for the cones. They could not tell you how long a wait for that would be. The line for Taste of the City ran at a snails pace due to only having one ordering line. Food lines at lunch were well over 30 minutes…some closer to an hour. Thankfully we ate before we got to the park. And the tram  situation was embarrassing. We waited over 15 minutes for one to take us to the park around noon. We walked back to our car at stop 2 around 8:45. Probably took us closer to 10 minutes because of the amount of people walking and my daughter loosing a sock. In that time, we never saw a tram or bus pass by us to go to stop 2 or 3. They were loading busses and trams when we headed down our vehicle but they never delivered any passengers. Took 5ish minutes to get settled in the car and pull off. Still no one had arrived via transportation. I hope they fix things before Christmas because it will be an absolute nightmare if they don’t improve it.