Author Topic: SDC fans on Facebook  (Read 7698 times)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
SDC fans on Facebook
« on: January 26, 2009, 11:50:56 AM »
I finally joined the modern world and created a Facebook account. I signed up as a "fan" of SDC. Anyone else?

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: SDC fans on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 01:12:14 PM »
yep I am there too!!!

sdcforever

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 12:41:55 AM »
I was on Facebook from 2005 to 2006 then I deactivated my account when they introduced the minifeed.  I felt I really didn't need to know all the details of what people were doing on their accounts, etc.  This was back with "old" Facebook; I've heard "new" Facebook is worse.  But I suppose a lot of people on SDC Fans are on Facebook.  That's cool.  Unfortunately, I can't reactivate my old account because it was through an email address I had for school that no longer works.  I just don't have the energy or motivation to create a whole new account from scratch.

DocSpeleo

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 12:43:40 AM »
the new facebook is better.. you can turn on or off your minifeed with different information and get more or less info about certain friends.

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 12:49:01 PM »
Yeah, you can customize it pretty well if you don't like how it is defaulted.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 07:07:59 PM »
I'm on there too as a fan.  Just joined this week.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 09:25:27 PM »
PM me if you want to add me as a Friend
SWOOSH

DocSpeleo

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 02:46:45 PM »
PM me if you want to add me as a Friend

Swoosh ru too impt to give away your info? lol

---------------

well everyone can add me just be sure to put SDC Fans in ur subject/comment section so i can add you to the right group and not delete you..
also you should join the
DocSpeleo Fan Page! lol haha it's cool!~
http://www.new.facebook.com/pages/DocSpeleo/51152501407

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 05:21:28 PM »
No, I'm a teacher and I don't need my "personal info" out there for anyone to find -- that and the fact that since I am a "popular teacher" I would have hundreds of students wanting me to add them, which I do not need or want.

SWOOSH

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 06:12:49 PM »
"popular" eh? As a teacher I am the same way with facebook. I cannot tell you how many students and former students find me on facebook. I have lots of issues with them sending friend requests, but I guess that makes me "popular" then!

DocSpeleo

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 12:47:18 AM »
Swoosh.. i teach as well, and have a lot of my former students on there.
i don't put anything on there i wouldn't mind their family seeing or my school board or principal seeing.  with the filters you can keep certain groups of people from seeing things, so basically learn facebook and it's a great way to keep in contact my first kids are graduating now and it's been a lifesaver trying to find my first 20 students.
popular? i've hit STAR status years ago.  I really couldn't leave my house without someone yelling MRSUMNER at me and hugging me *elementary kids you know...

bobber620

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 02:17:03 PM »
I joined today(not that anyone but me cares lol)
KANSAS CERTIFIED EMT, AND FRIEND TO THE PARK FOREVER

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 02:28:47 PM »
Swoosh.. i teach as well, and have a lot of my former students on there.
i don't put anything on there i wouldn't mind their family seeing or my school board or principal seeing.  with the filters you can keep certain groups of people from seeing things, so basically learn facebook and it's a great way to keep in contact my first kids are graduating now and it's been a lifesaver trying to find my first 20 students.
popular? i've hit STAR status years ago.  I really couldn't leave my house without someone yelling MRSUMNER at me and hugging me *elementary kids you know...

Wow, there is sure a lot of teachers on here. :D

Ok here's my deal with Facebook.  I don't have any information or photos or whatever on there that would make me look bad with my student's parents, my administration, my board or future employers.  However, I practice the "C-YA" principle of "COVER YOUR ASS".  I don't want to take any chances at something stupid happening because I told Sally Sue that she couldn't be first chair flute so she went home and made something out of nothing involving facebook.

Now I am "friends" with my ex-students from my school as well as other districts that I have taught at, but they are on "limited profile" as they just don't need to have access to everything on my fb account because well they just don't. 

That's how I roll.
SWOOSH

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 05:58:35 PM »
Hey, I'm a teacher, too.  I teach sophomore English, and I'm the speech coach.  I don't have a facebook account, though, so I guess my contribution to the conversation is pretty pointless.  I'll go back to lurking now. . .

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 06:36:28 PM »
I totally undrstand Swoosh. I only accept my former students, and those are usually only people who are my athletes at the high school or college level so that I can "keep track" of their issues (we watch their comments, photos etc in order to make sure they are not being stupid). everyone has to CYA sometimes. If they want to find me, so be it, they are smarter with the technology than I am and I am not going to post negative things anyway. And yes a lot of teachers in the house! we all must have wanted summers off in order to spend them at the park huh?