Author Topic: food trucks at the city  (Read 1293 times)

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
food trucks at the city
« on: February 20, 2023, 08:48:33 PM »
I was looking through SDC's website today, they have info on spring break and street fest on the site.

I noticed that for spring break they are going to have food trucks on the (pumpkin) plaza.

here's what they said on the site:
"Food Trucks & Fun At The Plaza
Open From 11am to 5pm Each Day During Spring Break

Join us on the Plaza, located just past the Grand Exposition, for delicious food & family fun each day as Silver Dollar City hosts some of the Ozarks best food trucks with offerings including British cuisine and pasties from London Calling, southern-style catfish and more from Flat Creek, Pizza & Calzones from Fat Tony's, southwest flavors from Not'cho Ordinary Taco as well as delectable desserts from Sno Nut Mini Donuts and Swirly's Ice Cream & Waffles. Plus, challenge your family and friends to a friendly game of cornhole or checkers"

I'm curious to hear what y'all think about this. It's interesting to me because it seems like lost(or at least reduced revenue) if people are buying food from 3rd party vendors instead of the park. I'm sure SDC will take a cut but still, It seems unlikely that they would get as much income from having the trucks as they would if people ate from the SDC food options. I like the idea of having lawn games out there(It would be nice to do that during summer too, if they can get some shade and fans).

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: food trucks at the city
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 09:00:18 PM »
It might be really good for the park too, they don't have to worry about the expenses, employees, etc. - just provide a place for those food trucks to make a buck or two and SDC taking a cut off their profits.

Aren't some of the shops in SDC actually ran by business owners? They pay rent for the spaces? I thought the yarn shop was like that when they were there, and some of those other shops by Powder Keg? I might be completely wrong about that though...

Jay

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 11:05:10 AM »
Not unusual to bring in outside vendors. Bluegrass and BBQ for example used to have lots of BBQ places from around MO come in to set up stands. Miss those days.

Wouldn't be excited to see actual food trucks in our 1880's park if that is the plan, but such is life. Will give big props to anyone who makes their truck look rustic for the occasion, lol. Considering where it is located they will probably just drive in. That area is essentially a parking lot used for special events anyway.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 05:51:41 PM »
that will be different for sure,
Indications are vendors from local businesses,  thats good,
Hopefully they are in that 1 area, will not take away from Ambience of the Park.
Gaurantee you, The City is getting a bigger piece of the action..!
So stay positive and see how it is,

BUT!!<
The Flip side is I hate to see it,
Food trucks have just about taken over Branson!!  ,
LOL 
seems like more food trucks on the corners than the people begging for money..!

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 06:51:46 PM »
I absolutely do not get the food truck craze

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 03:25:48 PM »
No interest here.  :(
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2023, 10:07:22 AM »
I absolutely do not get the food truck craze

So back when they were getting popular food trucks were a great way to introduce new food concepts in areas where starting a restaurant would be incredibly risky. Stuff like kimchi fries, chicken in a waffle cone, crazy hot dog combos, etc. You never knew what you'd see get created at a good food truck. Plus they were often fairly cheap.

Now they are all expensive and over hyped. The good ideas have all been taken and some have made it into restaurants. They are as expensive as a sit down restaurant without any of the convenience. The only time I get excited about a food truck now is when I happen to be out on the town at 2am, lol.