Author Topic: SDC’s 2024 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 39663 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: SDC’s 2024 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2023, 09:47:51 PM »
At one time, it was mentioned there would be a move for the train station to that location.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 14, 2023, 09:57:29 PM »
As an old "but the theme!" curmudgeon who rode FITH its first year, I was happily surprised with the announcement.

I would normally never tune in for any announcement on FB Live, but I had to be up and killing time for other reasons. So, I watched it (after being irritated by the delay in streaming, then irritated by the delay before any actual announcements, then irritated by those doing the announcing... hey, I said I'm a curmudgeon!)

FiTH2 seems to keep all the important traditional elements, if it arrives as announced.

My technical-minded side notes that the mobile audio and full HVAC should eliminate a lot of problems that result from hard wiring in a wet location. The audio should be wireless and splash-protected, and the HVAC will cut down on electronics-killing humidity.

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2023, 10:47:01 PM »
Moving the pretzel stand is interesting. Does that mean that building is going to be removed soon for something new down there?

The fire district: will boatworks theater be part of the fire district and/or pumpkin plaza?

I’m a little disappointed they didn’t announce construction starting soon on the resort, but it sounded like Brad mentioned more announcements coming for 2024….. all though that might just be the worlds largest can of Spinich or something equally not exciting.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #138 on: August 14, 2023, 11:09:10 PM »
Here is our construction tour report from this morning
https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2023/08/fire-in-hole-construction-tour-sdc.html

Here is our report from the Town Hall Media Event
https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2023/08/fire-in-hole-media-event-sdc.html
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 11:12:28 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 14, 2023, 11:32:56 PM »
Great pictures as always!  Thanks Swoosh!
I'm Your Huckleberry

blatym

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 15, 2023, 07:47:49 AM »
Did anyone else notice the LARGE roller coaster in the background of the concept art? Maybe they're hinting at the next big coaster for the park! Obviously, that's just speculation but I don't think they would go out of their way to put it there if it didn't have any significance.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 15, 2023, 09:00:02 AM »
Hopefully they will pay homage somewhere in the ride to Andy Miller, "the founder of the feast", since he was the one that came up with the idea of the original FITH.  The current ride has "Andy's Wagon Works" on a large barrel across from the firemen's restaurant (the one with the Burnt Toast, Scorched Eggs, etc on the menu).
I'm Your Huckleberry

SDCisHome

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 15, 2023, 09:33:30 AM »
Did anyone else notice the LARGE roller coaster in the background of the concept art? Maybe they're hinting at the next big coaster for the park! Obviously, that's just speculation but I don't think they would go out of their way to put it there if it didn't have any significance.

I was just about to ask the same question. That is a rather large coaster in the artwork. Obviously, it doesn't reference location because if it were, it'd be across Hwy 76.

What a great announcement! The SDC team and Validate Productions did a fantastic job. It's great to see the park turn something that is truly part of it's heritage and history and make it new. Also, having Dailey & Vincent remaster the song was genius!

jericho

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 15, 2023, 12:41:28 PM »
What is un-PC about Fireman's Landing?
"Fireman" is out of use. The modern term is "firefighter". Just like you have a mail carrier now, instead of a mailman.

I didn't realize women were firefighters in the 1880's.  I never even gave the name "issue" a thought. 

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 15, 2023, 02:12:09 PM »

I was just about to ask the same question. That is a rather large coaster in the artwork. Obviously, it doesn't reference location because if it were, it'd be across Hwy 76.

What a great announcement! The SDC team and Validate Productions did a fantastic job. It's great to see the park turn something that is truly part of it's heritage and history and make it new. Also, having Dailey & Vincent remaster the song was genius!

Yeah, the concept art is just that.  If you notice, everything is in the wrong place.  2.0 is not on the lakeside, for example.  That other stuff is just emphasizing that there are other things to do in the park.  It fills the frame.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 15, 2023, 02:17:03 PM »
What is un-PC about Fireman's Landing?
"Fireman" is out of use. The modern term is "firefighter". Just like you have a mail carrier now, instead of a mailman.

I didn't realize women were firefighters in the 1880's.  I never even gave the name "issue" a thought.

Doesn't really matter these days.  I'm sure somebody is still offended by the term - even if it is historically correct.  I kind of wondered if a change might be coming to avoid an issue.

For what it's worth, when Brad said they had taken liberties with the story of FitH, that probably includes the idea that there were any firefighters at all nearby.  Those "volunteers", if there were any, were likely just neighbors who showed up in time to watch the last embers float lazily to the forest floor.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 15, 2023, 02:24:04 PM »
Thought about this more overnight and just how happy I am with the announcement. Lots of comments on social media had a negative reaction to the announcement which I just don’t understand. If Disney or Universal made this kind of an announcement to replace a classic attraction, the fans would be thrilled.

I’m hoping this announcement puts to rest the negative discourse on these forums for awhile regarding changes to the park and how the PTB don’t care about the theme or history of the park. To me, this announcement makes it clear that they do care and do want to carry forward the legacy of the park. Yes, things will change and evolve. We will surely lose more classic or iconic things which are tied to core memories for each of us. But things have to change, as SDC is a business and they have to continue growing and give people reasons to return. But just because things change does not mean that the core of SDC and the legacy of the park change with it.

I’m hopeful that the final product of FITH 2.0 matches up with the concept art, and we get a truly great reimagining of the classic ride. Can’t wait to experience it.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2023, 02:30:22 PM »
^ Well said!  Thanks Coaster
I'm Your Huckleberry

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 15, 2023, 02:32:08 PM »

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 15, 2023, 06:48:05 PM »
Just a thought, what would be really cool is if we could get some overlap, where both the old and new ride are operating simultaneously for a period of time.  Does not sound like that will happen though. It would also be interesting if they were to do walk thru tours or something of the old ride before it is removed.