Author Topic: 2022 Crowds / Trip Reports  (Read 20510 times)

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Crowds / Trip Reports
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2022, 02:36:43 PM »
With the rumors of a new larger train station going in where the current FITH sits, it makes me wonder with the recent train incident putting the train out of commission and now no references are being made to it on their website or social media, what if they don't bring the train back into operation until that project is done to give time for the media frenzy to die down and give the public the impression that things have been sorted out with it? Seems nuts they would actually have it out of commission for that long but still... considering how viral this incident went being on national news and whatnot, it wasn't good for SDC's publicity. I know none of the trains will likely be in operation this Christmas.

I seriously doubt they will shut down the train for that long. Everything seems to be a multi year project now. FITH is 2024 and the new stain is beyond that.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2022, 11:53:07 AM »
Visited the City over the weekend.  Attended ACE’s Coaster Christmas presentations.  Gleaned the following information—the new ride is scheduled to debut in 2024.  Brad Thomas showed a picture of the new building and said (with tongue firmly planted in cheek) that they are building the world’s largest Dollar General, and that more information would be announced next year.   So, it looks like we still have another full year to ride FITH 1.0.  Brad also mentioned the new property acquisitions.  He said they have “exciting plans” for the property but didn’t elaborate.  He did mention that by the time all is said and done that SDC’s real estate holdings will extend all the way to Branson West.

As I mentioned in another thread, other sources indicated that the investigation into the train accident has been completed, but the results have not yet been made public. Hopefully, we will hear something soon.  And you don’t have to worry about missing Grandpa’s story.  He was sitting on a bench in front of the depot when I walked by on Sunday and he happily told the story to me and my family.  It was really neat, even without the lights and music.

On a random note, the apple dumplings are only about a third of the size of what they used to be.  They are basically just a ring of apple wrapped in pastry.  I asked the worker at the stand if they changed the size due to the tasting passport.  He said, “no”.  They had to find a new supplier.  On the bright side, they tasted really good, just very small.

All in all it was a good visit, my only real complaint is the lack of bluegrass.  It used to be that they played Christmas music in a bluegrass style throughout the park during Old Time Christmas.  Now about the only place you hear bluegrass at SDC is if you go watch the Homestead Pickers (which I recommend).  Please note:  I’m not a huge bluegrass music fan.  But I’ve come to associate that style of music with SDC, and I miss it when its not there.

greg heard

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2022, 09:09:15 AM »
We are thinking about a last minute trip to SDC this Friday and Saturday, November 25 and 26. We've never been this time of year does anyone have any experience with the crowds the weekend after Thanksgiving day?  I know most condo rentals are booked and prices are way up. I'm assuming SDC will be very busy?

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2022, 01:14:11 PM »
yes. they will be VERY BUSY. those days they usually hit max capacity. if you're going get there an hour or more before they open or if you just want to go to see the lights you can go after the first parade when half the people are leaving.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2022, 09:59:28 AM »
We are thinking about a last minute trip to SDC this Friday and Saturday, November 25 and 26. We've never been this time of year does anyone have any experience with the crowds the weekend after Thanksgiving day?  I know most condo rentals are booked and prices are way up. I'm assuming SDC will be very busy?

It's not uncommon to block admittance during the day until the number of visitors drops.   

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2022, 10:59:12 AM »
We went the day before Thanksgiving last year and it was a mad house. We go quite often, so if ride lines are long we just skip the rides and eat food, shop the stores, and catch a show or two. Last year was incredibly busy with food lines just as long as the ride lines - we ended up leaving to come back another time.

Jay

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2022, 01:53:48 PM »
Was there on Sunday 11/20 12:30 to 7:30. Very busy, long lines, had to be prepared to wait to ride, to attend shows, and to buy food and drinks. Poor women at the stand by the saloon where frozen lemonade is usually sold was working by herself trying to make various food in a waffle cone, sell drinks, and take money. She definitely needed help. Quickest place to get food and drink was the new place across from the Boatworks that is set back off the sidewalk and backs up to Foggy Hollow. We got in and out in about 5 minutes.

Speaking of Foggy Hollow why go to the effort to hang all of those lights in the trees and not have them on during the Christmas festival? Why wasn't the pathway open?

Coming Home for Christmas was okay but it reminded me of what Andy Williams used to do during his Christmas shows on TV and in his theater except there was no big name star in this show. At times there was just polite applause at the expected applause spots in between songs.

The performers in Dickens seemed much more comfortable with the new music this year. Applause was much more enthusiastic during this show. We enjoyed it.

Also saw the saloon show. I have not ever seen such a long line at the bar before the show started. People were really wanting hot drinks becaue the day was so cold. Not much of a story to this year's show. We didn't make it to the Living Nativity at the Dockside or the Spoken4 gospel quartet show at Riverside or the parade.

Missed getting a Christmas ornament by 1 festival and the employee refused to sell it to us. Said we had to come back next year in order to buy one. We were waffling on buying 1 season pass and using BAFs like we did this year but the extra high price on the pass plus the attitude of the employee confirmed our decision not to buy so we waited in line for 30 minutes for nothing.

From car tags seen at the park and around Branson more and more people are coming from further away. Also more and more people must have off all of Thanksgiving week. We were in Branson Sunday - Tuesday and it was busy.

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2022, 04:10:48 PM »
Missed getting a Christmas ornament by 1 festival and the employee refused to sell it to us. Said we had to come back next year in order to buy one. We were waffling on buying 1 season pass and using BAFs like we did this year but the extra high price on the pass plus the attitude of the employee confirmed our decision not to buy so we waited in line for 30 minutes for nothing.

Glad they stuck to their gut and didn’t sell it to you to be honest. Seemed like you were the one with an attitude and not the employee, they have their own rules to follow. 🤷🏻‍♂️

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2022, 09:44:01 AM »

Glad they stuck to their gut and didn’t sell it to you to be honest. Seemed like you were the one with an attitude and not the employee, they have their own rules to follow. 🤷🏻‍♂️

He didn't say that it was against the policy to sell it to us. We didn't have this issue before so if it is policy, we didn't know, and he didn't inform us. There were only 2 employees selling passes, and they needed help. There was also an issue with the people he waited on before us. We just said thank you for your time and we left. 

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2022, 10:56:14 AM »
We went the day before Thanksgiving again and it was a very large crowd. We arrived at just before noon worried about the craziness we experienced last year - but this year we were through the gates and into the square by 12:10 then had to kill some time. We shopped the few places that were open but that didn't take too long, was surprised Sullivan's Mill wasn't open.

Used my gold pass to ride Time Traveler, Powder Keg, and Outlaw Run in the first hour...this perk is nice considering how quick those lines fill up. I couldn't find the Trailblazer line for Fire in the Hole, and it was very crowded, so I didn't push my way to the front to find it.

The food we had was good, I really liked the Bang Bang Shrimp (could use a little more bang) and Acorn Squash Mac and Cheese. The other food was good as always.

It will be nice to get the furniture store and funnel cakes back - that area of the park seems so depressing with the "black hole" effect of those buildings missing.

We did experience a big bottle neck at the Hospitality House when leaving, so we exited by the bathrooms and saved a little bit of time.

All in all, was a great day.
Jay

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2022, 10:17:39 PM »
I was told by an employee as I was leaving this evening that there were 24,000 through the gates today.

SDC still has that special attachment to me. I attended the hymn sing at the Wilderness Church. The piano player's brother (who happens to be the sorghum maker in the fall) got up and gave an impromptu recitation of "The Christmas Guest". It was a great moment for all who experienced it. You won't experience those moments at any other theme park.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2022, 09:51:11 AM »
I couldn't find the Trailblazer line for Fire in the Hole, and it was very crowded, so I didn't push my way to the front to find it.

It is to the left of the main line. At the entrance to the line out front, you just go to the left to walk up to the entrance instead of entering the main line.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2022, 10:47:00 AM »
This is the first time that I had noticed that they removed the extended queue area for Mystic River Falls and added more tables and chairs.

Yesterday was also the first time that I had heard them make announcements on PowerKeg about not taking phones at all on the ride due to newer phones having crash detection. First ride of the day, no mention of it. Second ride, that is all they talked about. Third ride, no mention of it. Seems to very inconstant on if it is an actual rule or not. It was one ride op that was harping on it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 10:52:04 AM by mg »

orangesandpeaches

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2022, 05:10:28 PM »
This is the first time that I had noticed that they removed the extended queue area for Mystic River Falls and added more tables and chairs.

Yesterday was also the first time that I had heard them make announcements on PowerKeg about not taking phones at all on the ride due to newer phones having crash detection. First ride of the day, no mention of it. Second ride, that is all they talked about. Third ride, no mention of it. Seems to very inconstant on if it is an actual rule or not. It was one ride op that was harping on it.

They have been mentioning the phone thing on and off, especially on Powder Keg, ever since the iPhone 14 came out. As you say, not every op marches to the same drum. I have heard similar announcements on a few other coasters around the park, but those concerns seemed to have quieted down. The extended que on Mystic River has been filled with tables and chairs for quite some time now, thankfully.

KevinLong

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2022, 07:20:29 PM »
I will be in Branson the week between Christmas and New Years --- considering visiting for the first time ever the park in winter, I am a photographer and I thought the winter photos might be a bit different.

(full disclosure I hate crowds and Christmas) but I am curious and if the situation were favorable might consider going to the park.  Can anyone with experience give me the info on that week is it crowded, or do the crowds dwindle after the holiday?
Not a ride person so coaster use is unimportant.
I am a passholder so going or not going is just a thought. I guess the question is can a non Christmas person who dislikes large crowds enjoy looking around for a few hours midweek at this time of year? Or should I give it a pass?

Thanks for the input and help

Kevin