Author Topic: Fire at the City  (Read 11476 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Fire at the City
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2021, 07:18:44 PM »
Wow, they cleared off all the debris already.

Looks like the duplicating lathe is still standing... looks a bit crisp, but that makes me hopeful it can be restored.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2021, 09:25:32 AM »
I peeked through the knot holes this weekend. From my perspective, it sure looked to me like the duplicating lathe is OK. The lean-to that housed it doesn't appear to have suffered any major damage. I would think that if the lean-to was spared, then the equipment itself should be OK.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Cowboy Jepp's up and running. When I heard the building referred to as "salvageable", I assumed it would be reopened in 2022, but it was open and fully-stocked with merchandise this weekend.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2022, 08:09:01 PM »
Here is the current state of the fire area - March 16, 2022 (Opening Day)
Cowboy Jepp's and Duplicating Lathe will open later this Spring
https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2022/03/fire-update-sdc.html
SWOOSH

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2022, 08:44:08 PM »
I wouldn't get too excited to see anything happen anytime soon. Brad Thomas himself during employee orientation said that he has no idea what they're going to put there or when. He said that "you can't just buy that equipment off of Amazon." So there should be some hope of heartland's coming back, but not for a while.

When walking to Wildfire from the skillets, if you look to the right you can see some left-over fence they haven't replaced with burn marks on it. Extremely charred and melted plastic from the Christmas lights. It's easy to forget how much we could have lost if the firefighters were even 5 minutes late.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2022, 06:07:24 PM »
Good to hear they could salvage the Duplicating Lathe, and even better news they are going to reopen that soon.