Author Topic: Fire at the City  (Read 11330 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Fire at the City
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2021, 02:01:08 PM »
Like I said in the other thread, the duplicating lathe was another piece of awesome irreplaceable vintage equipment. I wonder if they can salvage any of it... That's the biggest loss I think, but the cowboy jepps building had a lot of memories too. It was one that used to have a tree growing through it. Used to be kind of an outdoors themed toy store when I was a kid. This sucks.

pintrader

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2021, 03:23:47 PM »
Anyone have an idea how many times there have been fires on the park before this?

There was a fire in 1968 which I believe was in late Sep.  It started in the candle shop which was a total loss and I think it damaged two adjoining structures which were basket making and broom factory.  These were fairly close to where the candle shop is today ( I think).

If I remember correctly it was started by Pete Herschend.  It was a cool morning and he started a fire I presume in a stove and left it and it got out of hand in some manner.  At least that is the story I seem to remember.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2021, 06:24:00 PM »
The area is clear now down to foundations.  They did keep the shed closest to Wildfire sign.  Everything else is gone.  Sounds like they are trying to save Cowboy Jepps
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2021, 12:04:24 PM »
I'm guessing they'll build back focused on restaurants and food stands. Wonder if there'll be much of anything for shopping space or anything else. I imagine they'll rework the whole area.
It came to mind they may be able to do something to soften the pitch of the hill.  They have a clean slate on the left now.  Even for a switchback

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2021, 01:58:33 PM »
I'm Your Huckleberry

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2021, 06:10:53 PM »
Silver Dollar City does plan to rebuild and will be announcing what will take the place of those three buildings at a later date.

And right there is the key statement.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2021, 06:41:21 PM »
I don't know about a switchback, but they could certainly send the main pathway wider out to give it more length to go uphill, thus reducing the grade. That would be a lot of earthwork though, and they would have to obliterate even more of the area. Someday they might just have to put in another corkscrew bypass type structure for wheelchair users.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2021, 10:27:49 PM »
There’s already an alternate route that goes past the knife shop.  No need to change the grade of Hill Street
SWOOSH

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2021, 08:32:37 AM »
The furniture shop *could* be restored.  the statements about "nobody know how to handle that equipment" are simple rationalization.  I can think of three people off the top of my head who could manage it.  That kind of knowledge has not yet been lost.  It is not common in urban areas, naturally, but overhead pulley-driven shops are not extinct.  I would bet a pass to the city that the folks there are more than capable of putting it back into operation.

The question is will.  Given the indifference for the past evident in our culture these days, I can certainly foresee a lack of will.

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2021, 08:36:56 AM »
Question.....ironic as though it may be...

Did this fire delay Fire in the Hole's demise for another year? (I keep hearing rumors this is or at least was the last year)

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2021, 09:14:59 AM »
The equipment to restore both the furniture shop and duplicating lathe are out there to be found.

Is it common? No.

Is it doable? Yes.

Will it be done? I really hope so, but I'm not optimistic.

(I have no insider information...just a 40+ year visitor to the park.)

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2021, 11:03:24 AM »

Did this fire delay Fire in the Hole's demise for another year? (I keep hearing rumors this is or at least was the last year)

Hmmm conspiracies everywhere. lol ::)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2021, 09:40:42 PM »

Hmmm conspiracies everywhere. lol ::)

No. FITH 2.0 is still a go for 2023.  You’ll just have something new for 2022 now actually in the ‘City. 
SWOOSH

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2021, 11:10:05 PM »
It’ll be more than just those 3 buildings.  Duplicating Lathe and Cowboy Jepps are losses as well.

I was afraid of that. :/

The photos I saw showed the lathe building, but I never saw it actually burning.

It was such a unique part of the park. Sure, they didn't make much besides baseball bats and rolling pins, but it ran on steam and was fascinating to watch.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2021, 05:19:44 PM »
Here's some pics I took tonight of the ash pit.