Author Topic: SDC's 2023 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 124223 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2023 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #405 on: February 13, 2023, 08:59:43 AM »
Man they have really hyped this thing all over social media. If they aren't announcing FITH's replacement, a surprise new attraction, or a new resort then I'm going to be disappointed at this point, lol. Really hope it's good because this is a weird time to be making a huge announcement.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 13, 2023, 09:43:52 AM »
Personally I’d be disappointed too…but you can’t fault their media/advertising department if thousands show up for an announcement on tomatoes. Could be FITH, new resort, 10-year plan including Missouri’s first Giga…or to let us know the Frisco is back.

Just a couple hours left to wait.

Jay

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #407 on: February 13, 2023, 11:03:42 AM »
Live stream link via Facebook https://fb.watch/iG9KAp9L1C/

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #408 on: February 13, 2023, 11:12:48 AM »
Well they are indeed ripping the band-aid off about FITH closing, but at least they are respecting it's history. The live stream is a mess of sad reactions right now. I assume this will end with at least a teaser of the new FITH.

Here's the thing though, the new FITH is going to be nothing like the old... It will probably be enjoyable, but I feel like it might be mistake river falls all over again. It will almost certainly be a wilder ride with some sort of marketable gimmick. Hopefully it will be as reliable as FITH was and have as much guest through-put, but we'll see. I'm not getting my hopes up about it being themed anywhere near as elaborately as OG FITH.

Oooh, they are ending the video with the original theme music! At least that can be brought back.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 11:14:26 AM by shavethewhales »

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 13, 2023, 11:26:52 AM »
No shock in terms of the announcement, but it felt like an anticlimactic miss from a marketing PR perspective. To confirm the closing of arguably the park's most historic and beloved ride without offering any details about its replacement felt absolutely pointless. Sure, a handful of folks will make a point to visit again in 2023 just to have one more chance to ride the original FITH one last time, but that's hardly a mass appeal move. Why not balance the disappointment for so many with establishing some excitement and momentum around the re-imagined version of a SDC classic? Can't help but think that would have generated more interest than just letting the world know the park's first ever coaster is soon to be no more.

pintrader

« Reply #410 on: February 13, 2023, 11:59:53 AM »
Only thing I know is that the lines for FITH this year just became a lot longer with the public announcement.  Also it's nice that SDC would make an announcement that something as classic as FITH is leaving the park which they don't usually do.  Not popular by no means but it does give everyone a chance to say goodbye.

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 13, 2023, 12:02:25 PM »
I’m not sure why you all expected them to announce FITH 2.0 with this announcement. They’re saving that to push for 2024 season passes. You guys complained they never gave Lost River a “final” season announcement and they now since they’ve corrected that you now want them to announce the replacement with the final season announcement? Swooosh is right, all you guys do is complain.  ::)

Anyway, it’s good they ripped the bandaid off. They knew there’d be backlash with the announcement. but it’s cool to hear a high quality version of the theme. It’ll be sad to see it go, but there’s only so much you can do for a 50 year old ride until it’s cheaper and safer to start from scratch. I’m hopeful for its replacement, with the rumored powered trains you really can’t add any gimmicks. I’m glad that future generations will still be able to experience SDC and Fire in the Hole, even if it isn’t the original.

EDIT: They uploaded the theme song to YouTube in high quality: https://youtu.be/70-qOr-tgYE
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 12:51:48 PM by legoerosion »

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 13, 2023, 01:12:08 PM »
I have serious doubts that the new ride will be called Fire in the Hole or be linked in any real way --- I think they will likely want a new name and also to break some record (tallest/fastest/darkest/something to set it apart) in order to attract new visitors.

WolfHunter

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 13, 2023, 01:14:40 PM »
I found this page floating around full of mp3/4 and wallpapers. https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/digital-downloads/
Known to be "Amazing" -Swoosh

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #414 on: February 13, 2023, 01:48:41 PM »
I think one of my favorite comments I have seen in reaction to this is:

"You've got a great past ahead of you... welp not no more."

I have serious doubts that the new ride will be called Fire in the Hole or be linked in any real way --- I think they will likely want a new name and also to break some record (tallest/fastest/darkest/something to set it apart) in order to attract new visitors.
Indeed I will be very surprised if any of the old ride will carry over outside of maybe a few obscure props such as the fire wagon and maybe the mural will be moved somewhere if it can be saved. Overall I expect it to be something generic to tie into FL. The audio and imagery being made publicly available on the website seems to allude to this.

As mentioned a few years ago when this was first talked about, there's no way the existing gags and Baldknobbers will return. SDC is now ran by a corporate entity in Atlanta who have no true attachment to the parks history.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 02:09:04 PM by sdcfan88 »

jericho

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 13, 2023, 02:40:09 PM »

As mentioned a few years ago when this was first talked about, there's no way the existing gags and Baldknobbers will return. SDC is now ran by a corporate entity in Atlanta who have no true attachment to the parks history.

They just did a facebook livestream today openly talking about Baldknobbers.  They are a legend for SDC and the area and without them, there is no theme for the ride. I wouldn't count them out.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 13, 2023, 03:04:26 PM »
Two big things that were in the press release and not the livestream:
1 - There will be events throughout the season for the final season of Fire in the Hole.
To celebrate, park creative teams are deep in the process of planning Fire In The Hole special events, parkwide fun and promotions,

2 - They basically announced that there is a 10 year plan of unprecedented growth of their Branson attractions; ie not just Silver Dollar City, but I'm assuming White Water and possible resort too.
The announcement of the Grand Finale season coincides with preparation of unprecedented growth slated for the next ten years at Silver Dollar City’s Branson properties.

It is great seeing them give Fire in the Hole a proper send off. I have confidence that what they replace it with will be great. I don't get all of the hate for Mystic River Falls. Yes, it has some down time issues, but it is a way better ride than Lost River was. We ride its sibling ride at Dollywood each year and it seems too tame and once a trip is enough for us.

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 13, 2023, 03:16:02 PM »
Two big things that were in the press release and not the livestream:
1 - There will be events throughout the season for the final season of Fire in the Hole.
To celebrate, park creative teams are deep in the process of planning Fire In The Hole special events, parkwide fun and promotions,

2 - They basically announced that there is a 10 year plan of unprecedented growth of their Branson attractions; ie not just Silver Dollar City, but I'm assuming White Water and possible resort too.
The announcement of the Grand Finale season coincides with preparation of unprecedented growth slated for the next ten years at Silver Dollar City’s Branson properties.

The events throughout the year is fun. Hopefully I can make it to one of them.

10 years of unprecedented growth sounds good. I just hope the resort isn’t at the end of that 10 years.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 13, 2023, 07:00:56 PM »
I guess this big announcement thing is to try and push season pass sales for this year so people will show up to ride it before it is gone.  This is the first year in at least 10 years I have not bought season passes.  The park is rapidly moving to ward just a roller coaster park.  If that is the case, might as well do Six Flags which already has a much better variety of coasters, and it is cheaper.  Oh wait, that is what I did for this year.  Might perhaps do SDC for 2024 to see the new ride but after that, who knows.

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 13, 2023, 07:22:36 PM »
One progress step forward is three steps away from "not in Miss Mary's time". I have not been to sdc since 2017 because I just don't like the changes. Color me unimpressed.