Author Topic: SDC's 2023 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 124149 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2023 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2021, 11:55:54 PM »
Sadly, I think there was a time when the park was much more of a "preservation of the older times" sort of park. in the late 60's thru the 80's - Theme parks were newer overall.

Nowadays it is way, way more about entertaining the visitors than educating them. in the past it was more a mix of both; certainly at least 50/50.   Now its seem more like about 80 ent/20 edu. Over time the craftsman and the learning some history with your visit, gives way to the hurry up and wait in line for the newest ride or show.

Times change, and I get it. Fortunately, the theming through out the park is so strong, that it still looks mostly as it did. Priority's in the market can certainly cause that to change quickly though. I think that's what people fear most, the loss of the parts of SDC that gave each of them the best memories.     

SDC stopped being a tongue in cheek recreation of Marmaros several decades ago. The construction of Thunderation was the first nail, then buzzsaw falls, then wildfire really drove it home. SDC is a theme park with a really interesting central theme and a great history. They still do a great job with storytelling and customer service among other things, but it is a theme park with modern theme park crowds and they have to evolve with the times as they always have. They have over 2 million guests per year and growing. It's just business.

If they can at least keep the central theme alive and do a decent job with theming and storytelling, I'll be happy.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2021, 11:57:53 PM »
Double posting to note that I was at the park today and fresh photos are on our Facebook page. The construction site is just cleared trees and some utilities being laid at the moment. I'm sure we'll see a lot more next year as they start constructing the actual building.  I telling what we are in for until we see a building footprint.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2021, 07:53:18 PM »
Almost two years ago I ran into Brad Thomas at SDC.  I expressed my concern about the rumors swirling around FITH's impending doom.  He did not confirm or deny any rumors. But he reassured me that he understands how much FITH means to many of us.  Based on that reassurance, I can only hold out hope that FITH 2.0 will maintain some type of continuity with FITH 1.0. We shall see.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2021, 01:58:00 PM »
While at the park on Saturday, I overheard one of the guest craft vendors tell another visitor to enjoy FITH because it will be gone after this year. I'm sure the PTB wouldn't appreciate that.

IF we get a new version of FITH, I hope they reuse some of the old, original imagery, props, artifacts, etc. such as the Kinney Bridge sign, pictures from the queue area, Red Flanders gag, etc. I pray that the old stuff just doesn't wind up in a dumpster.

If they don't reuse it, I would love to see an online auction of "relics" with the proceeds going to one of SDC's charitable foundations. I'd give anything for a prop from FITH.

pintrader

« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2021, 02:06:48 PM »
While at the park on Saturday, I overheard one of the guest craft vendors tell another visitor to enjoy FITH because it will be gone after this year.

So this year is possibly the last year of FITH instead of next year?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2021, 02:11:14 PM »
While at the park on Saturday, I overheard one of the guest craft vendors tell another visitor to enjoy FITH because it will be gone after this year.

So this year is possibly the last year of FITH instead of next year?

No.  We have heard FITH2.0 could open either 2022 or 2023.  A lot depends on how the new ride system responds. 
SWOOSH

KevinLong

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2021, 05:10:15 PM »
How would you all feel if FITH was simply rebuilt with a new indoor coaster system?

SAME name SAME story, same theme, same coaster style, just with updated lighting, effects, and animatronics. I think while it might not be as splashy as a brand new IP - it could end up being a great draw for the millions of visitors over the years that have enjoyed it. Advertising a refreshed and updated Fire In The Hole might lure those that remember it over the years to return to the park.  Just a thought.  FITH was the initiation of many coaster enthusiasts and regular folks too and I feel they would support it.

another two cents
Kevin

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2021, 06:42:31 PM »
^ Sounds good to me.
I'm Your Huckleberry

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2021, 09:16:43 PM »
How would you all feel if FITH was simply rebuilt with a new indoor coaster system?

SAME name SAME story, same theme, same coaster style, just with updated lighting, effects, and animatronics. I think while it might not be as splashy as a brand new IP - it could end up being a great draw for the millions of visitors over the years that have enjoyed it. Advertising a refreshed and updated Fire In The Hole might lure those that remember it over the years to return to the park.  Just a thought.  FITH was the initiation of many coaster enthusiasts and regular folks too and I feel they would support it.

another two cents
Kevin
With the way Swoosh was teasing the RMC powered train for the FITH replacement this is what I thought they'd do.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2021, 10:30:37 PM »
I think you have a more likely scenario of a theme like Blazing Fury than Fire in the Hole with baldknobbers. 
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2021, 09:38:11 AM »
I think you have a more likely scenario of a theme like Blazing Fury than Fire in the Hole with baldknobbers.

Still, there's nothing wrong with showing the drama of the Bald Knobbers.  Dark rides tend to be fraught with bad guys as long as there is a happy ending.  The fact is, these were vigilantes who had "good intentions" to form a law and order league where the regular law was lax.  Some went rogue.

I've never personally heard anyone who likened the Bald Knobbers to clansmen except on this forum.  They don't look like clansmen.  There is no racism portrayed.  This is not a big nod to the Civil War South.  To my knowledge, there have been no protests of the ride.

Of course, you insiders might have heard PTB or others discussing the Bald Knobbers as an issue.  I believe the story should continue to be told in the queue and can still be entertaining in a dark ride, but I have no doubt  someone has heard otherwise, and this will go generic.

Still, I can't imagine the old standards won't also be incorporated.  I imagine the PTB think "Red Flanders..." will appease most diehards.  It will, but it won't appease those of us who are "purists".
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2021, 11:23:33 AM »
It would be great if there is a version of the portrait with the foot sticking out of it as you return to the station.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2021, 11:42:53 PM »

another two cents
Kevin

I think that's all that most traditionalists are asking for.

We all know the mechanical aspects of the ride have aged poorly.

We'd just like to ride it again with pretty much the same story line, and hopefully the burning bridge plunge.

We just don't want it to turn into Flooded Mine 2.0, with none of the story and a bunch of annoying nonsense.

msu24

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2021, 12:47:30 AM »
Apparently a FITH train was spotted being transported on the back of a truck. Probably to be looked at for inspo for new ride.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2021, 10:36:56 AM »

another two cents
Kevin

This would be my preferred option, drop track at the burning bridge to simulate a collapse then a launch in darkness.