Author Topic: SDC's 2023 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 126476 times)

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2023 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2021, 12:01:37 PM »
^ It's us long term fans that have sustained them through the years.  They need to care about us.  They can't just take for granted we will keep buying season passes every year.  We're just asking them when they do update/rebuild a ride that they keep the ever-important theme.

Because they “owe you”?
I’m sorry, did I accidentally click on DisTwitter or something?  They owe you nothing

If it wasn't for customers they wouldn't have a job.  As a paying customer I have every right to express my opinion as do you.  No I'm not the only voice out there but mine does count.  I'm not asking them to rebuild FITH exactly the same but I am asking for them to keep the general theme.  I have that right.
I'm Your Huckleberry

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2021, 09:16:36 PM »
I still wish SFOT still had the Big Bend roller coaster. I was my first "big" coaster and I loved it. Even though it was legendary, it didn't make sense for the park to keep it, no matter how much I wanted them to. I wish they would rebuild it in a fashion that would work today - but it's forever a memory and one that I long for.

Duelist, I completely understand your concern and hope that the new Fire In The Hole will be very similar to the original. I consider us "purist" but we might be in a minority....I know a lot of families that don't have the same appreciation for that ride that we do. We went with a group of softball families once, and as much as I talked up the ride - most didn't ride it, or if they did, didn't have the same appreciation that I did. I think it's brilliant, but I've thought that since the first time I rode in 1979.

I know that change has to come, even Disney will close an iconic ride and make changes, improvements, etc. I'm excited to see what the park can do with new technology for the scenes and ride itself, possible drop tracks, backward sections, etc. - keep the original "idea" of the ride, but improve the overall ride experience.

This will be an interesting build for sure.

Jay

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2021, 08:58:37 AM »
I'm sure the Baldknobber theme will be gone, and I get it. When FITH was built, the Baldknobbers story was very prominent in Branson. The Baldknobbers theater was a huge attraction. There was a Baldknobbers restaurant. Everybody went to the SOTH outdoor drama and saw the Baldknobbers burn the cabin. As a result, visitors to SDC were familiar with the backstory.

Those days are gone, and most people who ride the ride have a hard time understanding why there are guys in hoods hanging people on the ride. Us "old-timers" will miss the Baldknobber theme if and when it goes away, but most people won't.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2021, 09:45:01 AM »
Because they “owe you”?
I’m sorry, did I accidentally click on DisTwitter or something?  They owe you nothing

An unjust assessment.  SDC was founded on, and continues to promise, nostalgia.  If they promise a "Great Past Ahead" of me, then they owe me that past. 

I am not afflicted with Novelitis:  I don't need something new every visit.  I go there precisely for the old. 

If they want to change that contract--and, remember,t hey are the ones making the offer--then they should not be surprised when I decide it is no longer worth my time or money.  I dread the day, but it looms closer every year as they update and homogenize and sensitize and modernize.  They creep ever closer to becoming Six Flags over Branson.  When that transformation is complete, I will not return.

So what, says Hershend?  Well, I spend a fair amount of money at the city every year (Covid notwithstanding), likely more than many of the people they are attracting by giving up on the nostalgia. 

And, one more point:  my sons--23 and 20--are no more interested in the modernization or the mega-rides than their parents are, so the appeal to youth is not universally successful. 

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2021, 09:51:56 AM »
^ Well said, my friend.
I'm Your Huckleberry

KevinLong

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2021, 12:50:41 PM »
Another thing that we need to remember is the MASSIVE numbers of older folks (50+) like myself- who are in the city on any given day. They constitute a HUGE demographic. I am too fat and old to be riding the coasters and thrill rides, so their appeal is limited to me. as I am sure it is to may of the older guests. The flooded mine is still accessible to grandma provided she can get into and out of the boats.

As I said earlier a "calico mine ride" like at Knotts would be ALL ages friendly and still be able to keep the 1880's theme. It could be argued that 4 or 5 thrill coasters is enough for SDC. It doesn't need to be in the coaster/thrill ride theme park competition with the Disney's or universal studios.

The biggest draw is the parks unique feel and atmosphere. If you lose that, whats the point.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2021, 06:40:54 PM »
The biggest draw is the parks unique feel and atmosphere. If you lose that, whats the point.

I would argue that isn’t the biggest draw. I would say that the biggest draw is in fact new marketable rides and bigger name concerts. BUT, the parks unique feel and atmosphere is what has people returning. They come for the big new ride, but fall in love with the park because of everything else. It has to be a delicate balance of the old and new.

pintrader

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2021, 07:49:32 PM »

I would argue that isn’t the biggest draw. I would say that the biggest draw is in fact new marketable rides and bigger name concerts. BUT, the parks unique feel and atmosphere is what has people returning. They come for the big new ride, but fall in love with the park because of everything else. It has to be a delicate balance of the old and new.

The thing about concerts is that they are a big draw for those individual days and nights but are not a constant throughout the year.  The parks unique feel and atmosphere plus the rides (new & old) is the biggest draws and what's going to keep people coming back.

Like you say it's a balance.

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2021, 05:13:19 PM »
Here’s a view of the land clearing behind Fireman’s Landing, viewed from Pumpkin Plaza. Pictures can’t do it justice of how much land this is taking up. Wish I could get better photos.

SDCisHome

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2021, 10:05:56 AM »
Quote from: palallin link=topic=4275.msg82541#msg82541 date=1633445101 [/quote
I dread the day, but it looms closer every year as they update and homogenize and sensitize and modernize.  They creep ever closer to becoming Six Flags over Branson.  When that transformation is complete, I will not return.

While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, the thought that the park is creeping closer to "Six Flags over Branson" is quite absurd. The park is changing, but it's not losing anything in its attempt to make things bright, shiny and new. For me personally, I can still do exactly what I did 25 years ago, actually more. No, I haven't been going to the park for 50 years (I'm 28), but 25-plus is a solid number. Yeah, I can't ride some of the old rides, and there's no Geyser Gulch, but there are newer and better attractions now. The park still clearly has the 1880s theme, the craftsmen are there, the food is the same, you can see the shows and the festivals are solid. I really enjoyed Street Fest back in the spring.

It's all what you make of it. If you don't like it, fine, that's your right, but let's not compare apples and oranges when it comes to SDC, or even Dollywood, to Six Flags. In Missouri, Six Flags St. Louis and Worlds of Fun don't even come close to Silver Dollar City and what it has to offer.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2021, 10:06:42 AM »
Very cool, thanks legoerosion.

Here is a resized version of your photo that might be easier to view.

Looks like they are busy adding in a new waterline to support the area.

I will be there tomorrow to get some updated photos.

KevinLong

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2021, 11:54:10 AM »
Sadly, I think there was a time when the park was much more of a "preservation of the older times" sort of park. in the late 60's thru the 80's - Theme parks were newer overall.

Nowadays it is way, way more about entertaining the visitors than educating them. in the past it was more a mix of both; certainly at least 50/50.   Now its seem more like about 80 ent/20 edu. Over time the craftsman and the learning some history with your visit, gives way to the hurry up and wait in line for the newest ride or show.

Times change, and I get it. Fortunately, the theming through out the park is so strong, that it still looks mostly as it did. Priority's in the market can certainly cause that to change quickly though. I think that's what people fear most, the loss of the parts of SDC that gave each of them the best memories.     

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2021, 01:02:33 AM »
^ It's us long term fans that have sustained them through the years.  They need to care about us.  They can't just take for granted we will keep buying season passes every year.  We're just asking them when they do update/rebuild a ride that they keep the ever-important theme.

Because they “owe you”?

Duelist never said he was owed anything.

You are not SDC's traditional audience. You enjoy going all over the country, even around the world, to hit all the latest and greatest amusement rides. Good for you, and I'm glad you enjoy that.

If SDC ignores its past and its theme to attract those who are attracted to the newest shiny thing, those who chase the new and shiny will ignore them as soon as they're not the newest and shiniest. And then, where are the traditional SDC customers who care about the past and the theme more than the new and the shiny?

Not at the park.

And that leaves SDC chasing customers who don't care about what made SDC in the first place, and don't care if it ceases to exist.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2021, 03:07:51 PM »
Another thing that we need to remember is the MASSIVE numbers of older folks (50+) like myself- who are in the city on any given day. They constitute a HUGE demographic. I am too fat and old to be riding the coasters and thrill rides, so their appeal is limited to me. as I am sure it is to may of the older guests. The flooded mine is still accessible to grandma provided she can get into and out of the boats.

As I said earlier a "calico mine ride" like at Knotts would be ALL ages friendly and still be able to keep the 1880's theme. It could be argued that 4 or 5 thrill coasters is enough for SDC. It doesn't need to be in the coaster/thrill ride theme park competition with the Disney's or universal studios.

Funny You mention Knott's .

My Son and I have a free Monday between Universal Hollywood and Disneyland next week. We had planned on it hitting Knott's that day, but HangTime is down. We may still go, but it's looking like we are just going to get Six Flags memberships early for 2022 with a trip to SFFT, SGOT and Frontier City planned for 2022.

KevinLong

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2021, 04:41:31 PM »
My only recommendation is to skip SFSL at all costs - it has become more like a parking lot fair you might find while driving past a mall. and that is being kind. I spent 4 amazing years working there in the mid 80's, can't believe how far its descended.

Sounds good hope you have some great trips.

Kevin