Author Topic: SDC's 2023 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 124364 times)

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2023 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2021, 12:43:44 PM »
The Fry Bread Company is hardly open anymore. Not gonna miss it to be honest. I wonder what they’re gonna do with Percy’s? That’s a large building, they could probably put an indoor stage and seating there.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2021, 02:07:28 PM »
It's kind of hard to imagine we are going to lose Lost River, FITH, Train Station, FM and probably AP within a 10 year period.  Who would have thought that just a few years back.

All about ROI.

$$$$

pintrader

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2021, 02:53:34 PM »
It's kind of hard to imagine we are going to lose Lost River, FITH, Train Station, FM and probably AP within a 10 year period.  Who would have thought that just a few years back.

All about ROI.

$$$$

That's pretty much the whole story.....kind of hard to have "memories worth repeating" when those memories are disappearing.  I think the main thing they are looking at is the attendance rise in the coming years especially during their most popular festivals.  Paths, rides and now probably a lot bigger train station to handle the larger crowds.

That is still going to be a lot of investment to get that return but it takes money to make money.  I guess the new stuff is "memories worth repeating" for the next generation.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2021, 05:25:29 PM »
I notice no one is crying out for Fireman's Cemetery, lol! That is one of the last remnants of the tongue and cheek old SDC that I barely notice myself anymore, but will miss. That particular brand of humor defined the park for the first few generations, but now it probably seems sacrilegious.

It's easy enough to replicate and make a part of the queue.  Disney does it at Haunted Mansion.

Did you ever wonder if there are any real things buried there?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2021, 10:21:59 AM »
I notice no one is crying out for Fireman's Cemetery, lol! That is one of the last remnants of the tongue and cheek old SDC that I barely notice myself anymore, but will miss. That particular brand of humor defined the park for the first few generations, but now it probably seems sacrilegious.

It's easy enough to replicate and make a part of the queue.  Disney does it at Haunted Mansion.

Did you ever wonder if there are any real things buried there?

I thought it was once part of the queue for Fire in the Hole. I remember waiting in line and reading the tombstones.

Jay

pintrader

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2021, 11:37:28 AM »

I thought it was once part of the queue for Fire in the Hole. I remember waiting in line and reading the tombstones.

Jay

I think it still is part of the queue...well sort of.  The last lane of the queue is bumped up against the cemetery so you could always read tombstones from there.  My memory from the 70's or 80's is a little fuzzy to say the least so maybe someone else can remember.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2021, 11:49:58 AM »
Yes, it was at one point. Then it was an ironic smoking area for awhile.

I'm not saying there should be an outcry to save it or anything, I just think it's another interesting example of the park evolving over time. I just don't think it's the type of humor that SDC goes for anymore. Everything now has to be so upbeat and positive. Even hill billy references are frowned upon because a lot of that "makes fun" of poverty, even though it used to be done in a laughing-with-them sort of way. The new theming will undoubtedly be very positive and focus on heroism and firefighters as opposed to a bunch of dopy baldknobbers and frantic townspeople characters.

You can bet there won't be a hanging scene anymore, lol!

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2021, 10:16:36 AM »

That's pretty much the whole story.....kind of hard to have "memories worth repeating" when those memories are disappearing.

That is still going to be a lot of investment to get that return but it takes money to make money.  I guess the new stuff is "memories worth repeating" for the next generation.

^This

I will be curious to see the backlash and change in attendance numbers and how many long time fans of the park will be lost with the loss of all the classic attractions. You can definitely expect the former. My parents stopped going a while back because they saw the writing on the wall that the park is evolving away from its theme and into another ride filled amusement park.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 10:22:32 AM by sdcfan88 »

SDCisHome

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2021, 11:02:14 AM »
As a 28 year old who has been going to SDC since I was born, I like the changes. Now with that, I have many fond memories of the "old SDC" with LR, FITH and FM. I remember being terrified of LR and FM because the queue lines were super dark and enclosed, but in my opinion, every change that has been made has been for the better. I was mortified when Buzz Saw Falls was removed, but it made room for my favorite ride on park. Now, I understand it was removed for reasons not related to age and being "old". Or when the park got rid of the old green trams and trolleys, heartbreaking.

I think MRF is way better than LR, even though I miss the classic LR, especially the cave. If SDC continues this, and I think it will, the new FITH will be just as good or even better than the old FITH.

I love the idea of a newer, larger train station. Even though I have many memories of the old one, it has run its course. IMO. Having to wait sometimes all the way to corkscrew pass is crazy and if you're just walking through the area, it can be extremely congested.

I personally think an area that needs an overhaul is the entrance. When it's a busy day, the ticket booth line is insane and just trying to get in through security and turnstiles can be tight.

One thing to keep in mind is if the turnstiles don't move, there is no SDC. We all know that. With costs going up it creates the need for them to turn even more. If this is a way to do that and get a nod to the old SDC, then it's what the park has to do. You have to adapt and create new things or you become old, stagnant and the same ol' SDC. Regardless of how much we all love the old SDC, the newer generation, might now and that's the future.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 10:07:05 AM by SDCisHome »

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2021, 11:32:02 PM »
I don't understand this whole "it's all about the $$$" argument. Like.. yeah. That's the point. SDC is theme park. It's meant to generate money. SDC was started to make money with the Hershends, hell even with Lynch and his cave tours. If a ride that's 50 years old and is decayed to the point that it'd be easier to make a new one, then that's what they'll do to save money. Sure it'll aggravate the long time fans. But how many of them would stop coming? A decent bit at most. But all of that doesn't matter because SDC can advertise a shiny new ride and attract more newcomers than old comers leaving. I'll miss the ride for sure, but I'm excited for its replacement.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2021, 01:48:28 PM »
^ It's us long term fans that have sustained them through the years.  They need to care about us.  They can't just take for granted we will keep buying season passes every year.  We're just asking them when they do update/rebuild a ride that they keep the ever-important theme.
I'm Your Huckleberry

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2021, 01:59:02 PM »
^ It's us long term fans that have sustained them through the years.  They need to care about us.  They can't just take for granted we will keep buying season passes every year.  We're just asking them when they do update/rebuild a ride that they keep the ever-important theme.

Not gonna lie I love being a couple hours from a great theme park with world class modern coasters and such but I also come back to re-experience the classics I grew up with. It just won't be the same with them being gone and I don't know if I'll go as often due to that. It would be like Kings Island ripping out The Beast or The Racer or Disney ripping out It's A Small World.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2021, 10:44:23 PM »

Because they “owe you”?
I’m sorry, did I accidentally click on DisTwitter or something?  They owe you nothing
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2021, 10:57:15 PM »
it would be quite easy to convert from Baldknobbers to a "moonshine runner" theme. it is a part of the heritage of the area, fits the time period, and seems not so controversial that it could not be used.
OR
you could keep the vintage Fire fighter theme of FITH - but up grade with real fire effects -

A lumber camp (runaway logging train) might be another theme, or even an actual MINE themed coaster dark-ride (think calico mine at knottsberry) could clear the way for the replacement of the flooded mine.

my greatest fear is the loss of the proper 1880's time frame in the change.

another 2 cents
KevinLong

Not sure what the powers that be have in mind and as a lover of traditional tracked rides....  I am intrigued by the possibility of  a hanging coaster as a fith replacement.  I believe they could so something of that sort in a smaller footprint and scenery.  I push for it to remine indoors ( winter friendly) Its important to have a ride you can count on to be open in whatever weather.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2021, 08:58:11 AM »
As a 28 year old who has been going to SDC since I was born, I like the changes. Now with that, I have many fond memories of the "old SDC" with LR, FITH and FM. I remember being terrified of LR and FM because the queue lines were super dark and enclosed, but in my opinion, every change that has been made has been for the better. I was mortified when Buzz Saw Falls was removed, but it made room for my favorite ride on park. Now, I understand it was removed for reasons not related to age and being "old". Or when the park got rid of the old green trams and trolleys, heartbreaking.

I think MRF is way better than LR, even though I miss the classic LR, especially the cave. If SDC continues this, and I think it will, the new FITH will be just as good or even better than the old FITH.

I love the idea of a newer, larger train station. Even though I have many memories of the old one, it has run its course. IMO. Having to wait sometimes all the way to corkscrew pass is crazy and if you're just walking through the area, it can be extremely congested.

I personally think and area that needs an overhaul is the entrance. When it's a busy day, the ticket booth line is insane and just trying to get in through security and turnstiles can be tight.

One thing to keep in mind is if the turnstiles don't move, there is no SDC. We all know that. With costs going up it creates the need for them to turn even more. If this is a way to do that and get a nod to the old SDC, then it's what the park has to do. You have to adapt and create new things or you become old, stagnant and the same ol' SDC. Regardless of how much we all love the old SDC, the newer generation, might now and that's the future.

All good points.

Whatever they are building should be impressive and fun for a new generation. It is still interesting to note how things change, and I do worry about them building something that won't have the same reliability, broad appeal, or staying power as the old FITH. It's like watching your favorite movie get remade with a bunch of unproven actors.

I'm sure they are taking many things into account. I just hope the urge for a "world's first" or extreme marketing angle doesn't take over on this one. I also just want it to stay open reliably. Even the Six Flags Justice League Dark Rides from not too many years ago are having a hard time staying open these days. Once the shine is off, parks tend to stop investing in "special" rides like dark rides that take more technical upkeep.

I thought the front entrance would have been redone by now. Not sure what the hold up is there. At this point I hope they are holding off until they can plant a giant resort right there with it. Just take up the whole area where the handicap parking is now.