Author Topic: SDC's 2023 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 124175 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
SDC's 2023 Project(s) and Park Developments
« on: September 24, 2021, 11:59:24 AM »
I'm being told there is now obvious construction activity going on near the train tracks. Apparently visible from Fireman's Landing and the train of course. More construction walls have gone up. To me it sounds like they are going forward with the next big replacement ride to renew the "legacy" attractions. The rumor has been that Fire in the Hole is the next in line for replacement and that it would be replaced with an entirely new indoor coaster or dark ride.

We'll see what happens, but obviously something has started and they typically take a full two years to develop these rides, so whatever has kicked off will most likely open in 2023.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2023 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 01:27:52 PM »
ah, very cool. Starting now for 2023 should make for it to be a significant sized attraction!! is this in that "triangle" area behind fireman's landing....or closer to side where the wilderness water toboggan was located?

Jay

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 08:48:02 PM »
ah, very cool. Starting now for 2023 should make for it to be a significant sized attraction!! is this in that "triangle" area behind fireman's landing....or closer to side where the wilderness water toboggan was located?

Jay

Shadd’s parking lot
SWOOSH

KevinLong

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 02:26:59 AM »
The rumor has been that Fire in the Hole is the next in line for replacement and that it would be replaced with an entirely new indoor coaster or dark ride.

As beloved as the ride is to me  - its replacement might be OK as long as its not themed to some IP.  It really needs to be even less current than the background for time traveler, it was saved by the steampunk angle. the very last thing it needs to be is tied into some cartoon or childrens IP.

my two cents
Kevin

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 11:26:12 AM »
The most recent dark ride surveys (two or three years ago) were pretty generic and kind of fantasy-based as I recall.  Lots of sparkle ad glitter, but no theme to go along with the park - and none were Bald Knobbers.  Fingers crossed if anything replaces FitH, that it will stay true to history, heritage, and nostalgia.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2021, 04:19:37 PM »
I mean if it's going right next to Fireman's Landing then it's definitely going to be firefighter themed. No need to worry about that. Will they keep the baldknobber story? Probably not. They still do tell the story of the baldknobbers in the lantern tour and of course FiTH, but other than that it isn't prevalent around the park. Do I wish that it'll be themed to it? Yes, yes I do. But I also know that times change and new stories need to be told. We still have the current FiTH for now and when it's gone we'll have the memories of it, and I'm sure they'll save some things from the inside to keep the legacy of it. They know how iconic it is to everyone that visits.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2021, 05:45:37 PM »
Yeah the signs are there now it's probably the beginning of the end for FITH. And yes you can count on its replacement to be watered down and PC.  :'(

It upsets me that Dollywood's Blazing Fury will outlive it even though it will be the closest we will get to keeping and experiencing the original despite it's theme being watered down as well.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 05:59:48 PM by sdcfan88 »

KevinLong

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 08:24:18 PM »
it would be quite easy to convert from Baldknobbers to a "moonshine runner" theme. it is a part of the heritage of the area, fits the time period, and seems not so controversial that it could not be used.
OR
you could keep the vintage Fire fighter theme of FITH - but up grade with real fire effects -

A lumber camp (runaway logging train) might be another theme, or even an actual MINE themed coaster dark-ride (think calico mine at knottsberry) could clear the way for the replacement of the flooded mine.

my greatest fear is the loss of the proper 1880's time frame in the change.

another 2 cents
KevinLong

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 08:59:30 PM »
it would be quite easy to convert from Baldknobbers to a "moonshine runner" theme. it is a part of the heritage of the area, fits the time period, and seems not so controversial that it could not be used.
OR
you could keep the vintage Fire fighter theme of FITH - but up grade with real fire effects -

A lumber camp (runaway logging train) might be another theme, or even an actual MINE themed coaster dark-ride (think calico mine at knottsberry) could clear the way for the replacement of the flooded mine.

my greatest fear is the loss of the proper 1880's time frame in the change.

another 2 cents
KevinLong

Location indicates a firefighting theme.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 08:39:48 AM »
Due to the location and if it really is a FITH replacement, a fire company theme is pretty much guaranteed. I think it will be a generic "towns on fire" theme. Maybe they will lightly mention the baldknobbers, but they probably wont have any hoods.

The real question is how they will approach the ride system itself. Is is going to be thrilling, or more of a dark ride? Aimed at allowing younger kids, or will they do something crazy that raises the height limit? Will there be a world's first? Will it be reliable, or break down continuously?

Personally I'm hoping that it is true to the original with lots of practical effects and props during a long slow dark ride section followed by the classic fire in the hole drop at the end. Keep it relatively simple so that kids can ride and it doesn't break down every hour.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 08:44:07 AM »
^ Agree!!!  How many of us were introduced to rollercoasters with FITH?  I was and so were my kids.  It's still my favorite ride at SDC.  Keep the Baldknobbers please - it's part of the history and legacy.
I'm Your Huckleberry

pintrader

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 09:34:42 AM »
So if the rumors are correct next season 2022 will be the 50th anniversary and also the final year of FITH.  I would presume there would not be much fanfare associated with the anniversary since Flooded Mine didn't receive much.  Also wouldn't make much sense to celebrate something your going to remove by the next year.

A person would need to be in their mid to upper 50's just to remember when it wasn't there.  I am just wondering how they are going to handle the negative blowback when they announce it.  Saying there will be a new ride to replace it will definitely help some but I would expect a pretty large negative response.

KevinLong

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2021, 10:58:21 AM »
Is it completely impossible that they could just refurbish and rebuild the ride in house? - for 1/2 the cost of a new production coaster/dark ride I would think they could do it themselves and really make it stand out.  While cutting edge time traveler was 25 million - for 10-15 mill they could probably rebuild/ upgrade Fire in the Hole it as it stands and still have a standout attraction.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2021, 11:26:32 AM »
I'm sure Swoosh has some inside scoop.....

So are we on the right track when we say - New fire in the hole, demolition of old ride, +new train station in 2022?

Or is the information you have - new fire themed roller coaster near fireman's landing?

I was looking at the height requirements of Firechaser Express and they were only 39" compared to Blazing Fury at 42" (Fire in the hole is 48, 36" with adult). Could they just mirror what they did at Dollywood and build a Firechaser at SDC and refurbish the Fire in the Hole with new track from RMC? Or is the SDC building in much worse shape than DW's - being only 6 years different in age?

Just some random thoughts...

Jay

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2021, 12:35:20 PM »
Is it completely impossible that they could just refurbish and rebuild the ride in house? - for 1/2 the cost of a new production coaster/dark ride I would think they could do it themselves and really make it stand out.  While cutting edge time traveler was 25 million - for 10-15 mill they could probably rebuild/ upgrade Fire in the Hole it as it stands and still have a standout attraction.
The building and ride has deteriorated so bad that it'll cost less to build a new one in a more fitting location. If you keep band-aiding the building and ride like they have been, it's not gonna help in the long run.