Author Topic: Dickens characters fired?  (Read 11279 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Dickens characters fired?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2021, 04:31:44 PM »
Kinda makes me wonder how much longer it will be before we see the Time Traveler queue music suspended for similar reasons if this is indeed what has been going on. Unless it has indeed for sure been given rights to use.

There’s a difference between a cover and being lifted.  Also it’s been said that those covers will never be sold for profit

Gotcha. So its similar to the "fair use" clause.

For anyone else wondering about this:
https://flypaper.soundfly.com/hustle/how-to-legally-cover-a-song/

"Fair and Transformative" use:
https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html

No.
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2021, 12:26:40 PM »
Ending these shows will really cut into the attendance and bottom line at Christmas.  The younger generation may not care but the coasters cant roll in cold weather, the shows were weather proof.  The shows kept the adults happy.  That is very unfortunate.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 01:05:02 PM »
^ There are a few others that should be back like the Fa-La-La Frontier Follies saloon show, the Living Nativity (which really should move back to the Homestead with live animals like it was when it started), Tinker the Talking Christmas Tree and the strolling carolers.  Surely SDC has some other shows they are working on for Christmas.  They can be very good at writing their own shows so that is a doable option.
I'm Your Huckleberry

The Outlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2021, 11:13:48 PM »
The fact that the park hadn't licensed these songs is absurd to me. I can't really blame the rightsholders for finally speaking up. How did these shows even last so long?

I really can't imagine them ditching Christmas Carol. They can't find anyone to write a little bit of an original score with a mix of public domain Christmas songs sprinkled in? Dolly wouldn't be willing to help a sister park out?

jericho

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2021, 01:33:30 PM »

Music Copyright can be very much policed and there can be really big fines. I know in one of my videos I did for St. Jude - just some regular instrumental music was $1,000 for the right to use it - so we found some free music, but it just didn't have the same feel.

I owned a gym and there were fees just to play music for people hear while working out.

But probably similar to SDC, my local high school had to completely change their Show Choir performance because they couldn't get the rights to some songs. I also filmed a video for the school and we had destroy it because of contested copyright issues.

I just don't know though what constitutes infringement - some popular songs today sample so much from other popular songs - but no credit is mentioned. Just listen to the new Jonas Brother's song Leave Before You Love Me.....and Wham!'s Last Christmas. Way too similar to not give credit to the original writers.

Jay

And also Air Supply "Lost in Love"

jericho

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2021, 01:40:06 PM »
Bring back the Frosty Snowman show.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2021, 08:25:34 AM »

Music Copyright can be very much policed and there can be really big fines. I know in one of my videos I did for St. Jude - just some regular instrumental music was $1,000 for the right to use it - so we found some free music, but it just didn't have the same feel.

I owned a gym and there were fees just to play music for people hear while working out.

But probably similar to SDC, my local high school had to completely change their Show Choir performance because they couldn't get the rights to some songs. I also filmed a video for the school and we had destroy it because of contested copyright issues.

I just don't know though what constitutes infringement - some popular songs today sample so much from other popular songs - but no credit is mentioned. Just listen to the new Jonas Brother's song Leave Before You Love Me.....and Wham!'s Last Christmas. Way too similar to not give credit to the original writers.

Jay

And also Air Supply "Lost in Love"

Not to be confused with being All out of Love.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2021, 11:30:09 AM »
Guessing it will be all new music unless they signed some deals, lol. Without Rachel and David though, it will be a very different show in any case. Those two were undeniably talented, and a large part of what made the old show stand out. It's going to be hard to make a new Dicken's that doesn't come across like a high school production without some good actors.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2021, 03:28:24 PM »
When I thought they weren't bringing 'A Christmas Carol" back at all I guess that made some since why they would let the actors go as well.  But now that they're apparently bringing it back why let David and Rachel go?  There's something we (at least I ) don't know about this.  David and Rachel were very entertaining.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2021, 03:38:08 PM »
When I thought they weren't bringing 'A Christmas Carol" back at all I guess that made some since why they would let the actors go as well.  But now that they're apparently bringing it back why let David and Rachel go?  There's something we (at least I ) don't know about this.  David and Rachel were very entertaining.

I think you’re leaving out someone else that’s just as important.  Tom Johnson who played Bob Cratchet. 
SWOOSH

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2021, 05:08:52 PM »
^ I agree he was very important and talented but when they canned the Sons of the Silver Dollar Show I figured he would leave the park.  It's David and Rachel that has me puzzled- unless they are gone for the same reason since the Echo Hollow show didn't come back.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2021, 02:33:48 PM »
Good to hear they are going to give it a try.  Still strange to see them let go of David and Rachel...I always liked Tom Johnson as well, but as was said his big thing was Sons of the Silver Dollar.
As far as the copywrite stuff goes, I highly doubt pressure was felt from every single song they use.  It shouldn't be difficult to keep the show the same and change out a problematic song or to, so I'm glad they are doing it.  But getting rid of David and Rachel still doesn't make sense.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2021, 09:33:57 AM »
I guess from looking at the picture they have for Children's Christmas Auditions they are using A Christmas Carol though the ad doesn't really mention that that is the show they are doing auditions for: https://twitter.com/SDCAttractions/status/1417228486410919941/photo/1

I'm Your Huckleberry

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2021, 09:48:01 AM »
I guess from looking at the picture they have for Children's Christmas Auditions they are using A Christmas Carol though the ad doesn't really mention that that is the show they are doing auditions for: https://twitter.com/SDCAttractions/status/1417228486410919941/photo/1

I wondered the same, but this link (https://hfecorp-openhire.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobinfo&jobid=16357&company_id=16687&version=6&source=ONLINE&jobOwner=992848&aid=1) does say it is for Christmas Carol.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating