Author Topic: Opening Day!  (Read 2787 times)

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Opening Day!
« on: March 18, 2021, 06:07:24 PM »
Two of my sons and I made a quick trip down to SDC for opening day.  After a wet start, the weather cleared and we had a beautiful day. The park ended up being a lot busier than I expected, given the mid-week opening and poor weather forecast.   I don't have any numbers, and the park wasn't even close to being full, but there was a 50 minute wait for Time Traveler at one point (they were only running 1 train).  Fire in the Hole, Powderkeg, Outlaw Run had 30 minute waits at various times.  I didn't check the wait time for Mystic Rivers.  Speaking of Mystic Rivers, if you are not a fan of the "shark joke" its not going away anytime soon.  They now sell shark teeth and a Mystic River Falls shark T-shirt at the kiosk by the ride.  I bought one of the shirts.  Go shark!

I had a fun conversation with one of the train conductors.  He got a chuckle that I knew who Ichabod was.  He said the park was hopeful that they would be able to get rid of the mask requirement by the end of June.  So, here is hoping for that.  I also had a good visit with Terry Wayne Sanders.

All of the rides appeared to be open at various times of the day.  I didn't notice any shut-downs on Mystic River once it finally opened.

The lines for food weren't bad.  It was great to sample Cinnamon Bread and the SDC made frozen lemonade. 

I only had two disappointments in the trip: 1. Since the weather was bad, they didn't do an opening ceremony on opening day.  I understand why.  But it was a bummer.  2  We hadn't received our 2021 season passes yet.  So, I called customer service to see what I needed to do before we came down.  Customer service told me that my 2021 passes had been printed and would be mailed soon. But our 2020 passes were  still good until June, so I should still be able to use the 2020 pass to get into the park.  WRONG! I got to the gate and I was told my 2020 pass was no longer valid, because my new passes had already been printed.  So, I had to go back to the ticket windows and get a 2021 pass printed out. Fortunately, there wasn't a huge line.  So if you have extended your 2020 pass, and don't get your 2021 passes before you go down, you might plan on making a stop by the ticket window.

All in all it was still a fun trip down to the City. 

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Day!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 02:53:54 PM »
Any chance you took a ride on the train and saw the land clearing going on behind Fireman's Landing? Is there any evidence to the off season rumor that something is going on back there?

Jay

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 02:54:19 PM »
Sounds nice! The rain on opening day sucks, but it sounds like things are rolling along anyway.

The shark thing got old but now it's growing on me. I'm sure it will get old again pretty quick, but at least they are cashing in on it, lol!

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 04:27:55 PM »
Any chance you took a ride on the train and saw the land clearing going on behind Fireman's Landing? Is there any evidence to the off season rumor that something is going on back there?

Jay

Hey cowboy

Yes, I did ride the train. But I didn't even think about construction rumors until you just mentioned them.  I believe there was some stuff going on behind Fireman's landing, but I just wasn't paying close attention.  Sorry.   Hopefully, you can make it to SDC soon and give a better report on what is going on back there!

dkparks

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2021, 10:12:55 AM »
We were there Sunday. Noticed a couple things on the train regarding land clearing but honestly nothing stood out to me that "Hey, they are getting ready to build a new attraction here." Regarding changes I noticed this year: 1) Flooded Mine did get some love in the form of some changes and new paint, would have been nice if all the water effects would have been working 2) Time Traveler line was crazy, didn't open until a few hours after park open the the cue was full and back into the walkway where the magician used to be 3) regarding the train, they moved Icabods wreck further down the tracks but the conductor didn't change the location of the wreck in the script 4) Alphie was good but Ralphie and the conductors need LOTS of practice (I get it, opening weekend) 5) I didn't realize how many shops were closed the beginning of the season and don't open until late April or May 6) Thunderation needs some serious love. WOW, talk about messing your back up. About 5 spots that need retracking.

Overall, great to be back. They handled temp screening well, lines moved well. Can't wait to go again.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 08:06:26 PM »

Jay

Literally it is fill from previous projects being dumped into a valley to create an eventual parking lot for M&C to replace the lot they’re going to lose (have lost)
SWOOSH