Author Topic: Going back to SDC  (Read 71803 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Going back to SDC
« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2020, 03:27:27 PM »
Full-day Summer School begins in Joplin on Monday (no transportation provided). 

Also, the school board approved moving the calendar up by 11 days for the 2020/1 school year:  we are set to begin on August 13.

Gross.  Why would they move it forward?  So do you get out 11 days earlier now for Summer?

From the superintendent: 

"You will notice that this new calendar gives us the opportunity to engage our students earlier in their learning process, more instructional days within the first semester in order to balance the days, increases our flexibility to adapt in case of a potential winter COVID-19 spike and perhaps even gives us an earlier dismissal in May."

Seems to me this is like cutting off the top of a blanket and sewing it to the bottom and expecting the blanket to be longer.  Oof
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2020, 03:33:26 PM »
Full-day Summer School begins in Joplin on Monday (no transportation provided). 

Also, the school board approved moving the calendar up by 11 days for the 2020/1 school year:  we are set to begin on August 13.

Gross.  Why would they move it forward?  So do you get out 11 days earlier now for Summer?

From the superintendent: 

"You will notice that this new calendar gives us the opportunity to engage our students earlier in their learning process, more instructional days within the first semester in order to balance the days, increases our flexibility to adapt in case of a potential winter COVID-19 spike and perhaps even gives us an earlier dismissal in May."

Seems to me this is like cutting off the top of a blanket and sewing it to the bottom and expecting the blanket to be longer.  Oof

That was kind of my thought when the state pushed the start date closer to Labor Day.  This does make some sense if the virus is more active in the spring than in fall or winter.  If that is true, we will miss less time when the year is cut short again in '21.  If we make it through the year, we will have a couple of weeks more to enjoy SDC without the rest of the schools gumming up the park in May.  Whatever happens, I'm just along for the ride. It's out of my hands anyway.  Maybe I should have retired this year. :o ::)
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2020, 11:21:04 PM »
I still have 15 years left thanks to teaching 2 years in private school (which don’t count towards retirement unless I buy them back.  Ugh!)
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2020, 11:43:06 PM »
I still have 15 years left thanks to teaching 2 years in private school (which don’t count towards retirement unless I buy them back.  Ugh!)

Buying in is too expensive, but I do know people who have gotten loans to do it.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2020, 05:52:39 PM »
Job listings on the website now say that employees will be required to wear provided masks for WW and SDC listings.
The vast majority of postings are repeated to WW and not SDC. I assume that this is because SDC had their hiring events earlier on before everything closed.
There are also reports on FB saying that they have started to fill pools and run water down slides at WW.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 05:56:54 PM by mg »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 30, 2020, 06:58:02 PM »
Branson is packed with tourists.  SDC is really missing out a lot of money by being closed.  No one seems to care about social distancing other than the businesses and even then it appears to be out of spite.  Only ones in masks are employees (in some places) and they look miserable and like they’re contemplating their life decisions. 

The pandemic is officially over in Branson apparently
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2020, 07:04:56 PM »
Job listings on the website now say that employees will be required to wear provided masks for WW and SDC listings.
The vast majority of postings are repeated to WW and not SDC. I assume that this is because SDC had their hiring events earlier on before everything closed.
There are also reports on FB saying that they have started to fill pools and run water down slides at WW.

That will make for an interesting set of tan lines....  IF they wear them all summer..'

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 30, 2020, 07:17:46 PM »
I do not see how you can except somebody standing out in the heat all day to wear a mask. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2020, 12:40:20 PM »
I do not see how you can except somebody standing out in the heat all day to wear a mask.

I guess I'll find out next weekend when I head to Frontier City
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2020, 11:53:00 PM »
Since it's NPR maybe some of Karen's will let go

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1267221121130266631

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2020, 09:23:32 AM »
The SDC ticketing website is down for maintenance. You can not currently purchase season passes or tickets.
Add-ons are still available and seem to be getting updated too. Single day trailblazer passes are unavailable for purchase through June 14th. (I do not believe that this points to a June 14th opening date. That seems way too soon without an announcement yet.)

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2020, 11:07:01 AM »
More add on items are now starting to line up with the June 15th date. Maybe there is something to it?
SDC
- VIP Tours
- Regular TrailBlazer Pass (14th)
- Double Stroller
- Single Stroller
- Electric Wheelchair
- No Culinary Classes before the 15th.

WW
- Splash Pass
- Cabana Rentals

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 01, 2020, 11:08:55 AM »
Ticketing is back up with the 15th being the first date available for purchase.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 01, 2020, 11:19:10 AM »
Park reopens 13-14 for season pass holders only (reservation will be required)
Park opens to general public on 15. 

Masks will be required and temperatures will be taken.  In addition metal detectors have been installed at the front gate bag check area. 

White Water will open to pass holders on 15-16 and general public on the 17

All dates should be assumed tentative until official announcement which could come as early as today. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 11:33:08 AM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH