Author Topic: Your Travels Thread (2020)  (Read 23075 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Your Travels Thread (2020)
« on: December 15, 2019, 06:06:14 PM »
Much like the 2019 edition of this thread, this will be the place to let everyone know where you are going / have gone during the 2020 calendar year.  To help others find information, we will make these threads last only one calendar year and then we will create another.

Adventure is Still Out There!  Cannot wait to see where everyone is going during 2020.
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
Re: Your Travels Thread (2020)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 10:29:38 PM »
Well this has been the weirdest "season" ever.  However we still plan to make the best of things....

MAY
30 - The Branson Sawmill
30 - The Runaway Mountain Coaster

JUNE
02 - Crystal Falls
02 - Magic Springs
07 - Frontier City
11 - Ruby Falls
11 - Rock City
12 - US Space and Rocket Center
13 - Splash Adventure
13 - Alabama Adventure
13 - Gulf Coast Lighthouse Driving Tour
14 - Gulf Shores
14 - The Park at OWA
15 - Gulf Shores
15 - Sam's Fun City
16 - USS Alabama
16 - USS Drum
16 - Medal of Honor Aircraft Pavilion
16 - Panama City Beach
16 - Race City
16 - Swampy Jack's Wongo Adventure
16 - Cobra Adventure Park
17 - Six Flags over Georgia
20 - Silver Dollar City

JULY
17 - Six Flags over Texas
18 - ZDT's
19 - Sea World San Antonio
20 - Six Flags Fiesta Texas
21 - Schlitterbahn New Braunfuls
22 - Space Center Houston
22 - Kemah Boardalk
23 - Schlitterbahn Galveston
23 - Galveston Pier
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 04:39:37 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 09:04:03 AM »
I'm keeping it lighter this year. Hoping to make it to NYC for a few days to see Coney Island and the new indoor mall park, as well as plenty of the typical NYC sights.

Might take a road trip out to Holiday World, Kentucky Kingdom, and King's Island though. Been too long since I've been to KI.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 11:18:55 AM »
At the moment, the only traveling I have set is the end of this month; going with the manga library to Kamicon in Birmingham, AL.

We're hoping to make it to Six Flags a few times this year, since our memberships are good until... October, I believe. The most likely SF we'll be at are Great America and St. Louis. Wouldn't mind being able to go to Over Georgia again, though; they had a great collection of coasters!

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 03:41:27 PM »
Kicking around the idea of a trip to Europe in the fall. If not this year next for sure. Probably Norway, Finland and Switzerland.  Been to most of the other countries but I want to see the northern lights in Norway thus the fall trip.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 04:54:08 PM »
It's been busy around here.  On a trip to DC over Christmas, we stopped at Dollywood and Gatlinburg.  More on that later.  Headed to Hawaii and Maui in a few weeks and hopefully Yellowstone again next Fall.  Busy this year!

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 10:45:50 PM »
Kicking around the idea of a trip to Europe in the fall. If not this year next for sure. Probably Norway, Finland and Switzerland.  Been to most of the other countries but I want to see the northern lights in Norway thus the fall trip.

Only thing as close to stone we have planned but nothing booked is NYC in early June and  Disneyland/ Universal Studios Hollywood for early Oct.  We delayed the latter cause, a.month and a half in Europe was a bit much.

We are entering a new phase as I have a senior graduating in June and a Junior..for the upcoming year.alomg with a now retired Mother with plenty of time to watch over things. I suspect the Wife and I will keep man eye out for good last minute cruise deals for Hawaii and Alaska. Over the summer. We could care less what type of room we have.

I'm about ready to play the sign out bonus game with AA cards. They have gone to dynamic pricing on reward flights and I'm a fan of off peak travel.  I have spotted 27k  round trips to London in Feb, 10k round trips to Cleveland, 60k round trips to Tokyo in premium economy no less or on JAL metal which blows AA away. I have even stumbled on 30k round trips to Madrid in Oct or Santiago Chile even later. ( A Chilean Fjords cruise is an alternative to Alaska and can be done over the Wife's holiday break) We like cruising and love Disney but their prices are getting more outrageous 5hey want a fulln20npercent more than we paid for the Barcelona to Rome cruise for this summer

Not going to lie, I want the coaster on the Mardi Gras credit too.

I will not go to Orlando till Guardians and The Jurassic coasters open and that should hold till the New Uni park opens.

I suspect the kids and I will hit the Texas Six Flags and SeaWorld San Antonio at some point though I want to wait till Aquaman is open.  I may take my Mother in Law to.Madison to see her step daughter that is battling cancer and haul a couple of hierloom furniture pieces to her kids.that were her Dad's that past away a couple of years back. If that happens, I'll get in Six Flags GA up there on the way up and Adventureland on the way down. I discussed that this was her payment for my hauling services, lol. She and the wife can go antique shopping.

If find myself burdened by 4 weeks of vacation these days, lol. We already have the ability to take 3 day weekends without actually taking vacation as long as the work gets done on time and the hours are put in over 4 days.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 08:59:09 AM »
Posted this in the wrong thread earlier.  First mistake I ever made! ;)

Sorry, Swoosh:  more histoy-nerding to come in 2020.  Two years ago, I had the privilege of living on the property at George Washington's Mount Vernon for a week (Another SDCFan has done so multiple times, BTW.).  Last year, I spent a week at Fort Ticonderoga in Upstate New York.

And then came 2020:

Here was a nice surprise that arrived in my emailbox this week: word from Virginia about my acceptance to the summer teacher institute at Colonial Williamsburg. Huzzah, indeed!

"Huzzah! We are very pleased to offer you a scholarship to the 2020 Bob and Marion Wilson Teacher Institute of Colonial Williamsburg. Your scholarship includes tuition and transportation.

"Within 10 business days you will receive an additional email from us. That email will provide your program information, including the session date and instructions for how to register/confirm your attendance and arrange your transportation...

"Sincerely,

"The Colonial Williamsburg Teacher Institute Team"
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 11:39:17 AM »
My first travel of the year was to Birmingham, Alabama a couple weeks ago for Kami-Con. I got to try Alabama white bbq sauce for the first time ever and OMG it was DIVINE. And then at the end of the weekend, we went to Texas de Brazil, and WOW, that place is totally worth the money. The meats were excellent, and the fish stew was AMAZING. Super highly recommend trying it out sometime, though you'll wanna save up for it, as it's nearly $50/person. But again, totally worth the price. The amount of filet mignon our table consumed more than made up for the price alone.

Fergy328

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 10:02:50 AM »
Might be making a trip to Universal Orlando/Disney World for a few days. Thinking about mid-to-late May. Does anyone know when Orlando area schools get out? I know the parks are going to be busy no matter what really, just trying to find the least busiest times as i can.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 11:26:05 AM »
It's Feb and I'm clueless on our plans this year. About the only thing "planned" is an extended weekend to LA in Oct for Hollywood Haunted Nights at Universal and Star Wars/Disneyland. That looks to be just the Boy and I. We may take the girl to NYC  for along weekend in June. Other than that nothing. It is more about 2021. I'm waiting for Disney to release their Summer 2021 cruise schedule and see what opening day pricing is for either Alaska, Hawaii, or Greece cruises. I figure it will be Alaska or bust on someone it'll be our first "no kid" vacation in 18 years

The plan is to rent a car one way and hit Grand Tetons/Yellowstone on the way up amd depending on routing, crater Lake NP or Glacier NP.

I plan on at least PNC Park in Vancouver if on Disney along with one more on the way. Either Lagoon or Silverwood.

I got this feeling, I'm gonna catch a cheap flight to Tampa for an extended weekend sometime this year. I want to ride Iron Gwazi and Hagrid's down the road. My wife's Aunt had mo ex to Southern Illinios so a road trip to see her puts Holiday World in play

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 06:01:31 PM »
Posted this in the wrong thread earlier.  First mistake I ever made! ;)

Sorry, Swoosh:  more histoy-nerding to come in 2020.  Two years ago, I had the privilege of living on the property at George Washington's Mount Vernon for a week (Another SDCFan has done so multiple times, BTW.).  Last year, I spent a week at Fort Ticonderoga in Upstate New York.

And then came 2020:

Here was a nice surprise that arrived in my emailbox this week: word from Virginia about my acceptance to the summer teacher institute at Colonial Williamsburg. Huzzah, indeed!

"Huzzah! We are very pleased to offer you a scholarship to the 2020 Bob and Marion Wilson Teacher Institute of Colonial Williamsburg. Your scholarship includes tuition and transportation.

"Within 10 business days you will receive an additional email from us. That email will provide your program information, including the session date and instructions for how to register/confirm your attendance and arrange your transportation...

"Sincerely,

"The Colonial Williamsburg Teacher Institute Team"

WOW!  That's great!

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2020, 08:46:21 PM »
I have a tentative trip for the second weekend of May to Madison Wisconsin. I'm doing my made of gold Mother in law a favor driving her up to see her Step Daughter that's fighting cancer. I'm also taking a piece of furniture that belonged to my Wife's stepfather who passed two years to his Grandson.  Anywho, I was going to drop off the piece and my mother in law and split so they could have some quality time.

I'll have two full free days. I was for sure going to drive to Bay Beach with my Libertyland shirt and ride the second version of my first coaster, Zippin Pippin on Sat. But... I was going to drop in on the North American Decoy and Sporting Memorabilia show in Chicago on Friday for a couple of hours and then go to SFGA to ride at least the non clone coasters and grab a hotel between there and Green Bay.

The down side of this trip is no stop at Adventureland as I'm going straight thru Des Moines on a 10 hr drive day.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 03:35:29 AM by chittlins »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 12:29:09 PM »
Well... thanks to COVID-19, plans are having to change.  Crazy world we are living in now
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2020, 02:01:21 PM »
Ooof, yeah. My friend and I were just discussing another road trip this year, but it's all gonna depend on if things have improved by July.

IF things get better, the tentative idea is taking the manga library up to Green Bay mid-July for Kitsune Con. Weekend after that would be running Pachinko in New Orleans at the last ever Mechacon. Then it'd be Los Angeles the next weekend with the library at Animanga. And then on the way back home, the next weekend in Phoenix with Pachinko at... I can't remember the name of that con.

So... fingers crossed. Last year's road trip was super fun, even with all the stress that came with it because of vehicle troubles.