Author Topic: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)  (Read 145983 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)
« on: August 15, 2019, 08:23:56 PM »
The previous thread seems to have glitched, so I began a new one.  If Shave can figure it out, we can go back to the original thread, but until then, here's the last thing I posted to kick us off:

It is interesting that the Riverfront Playhouse was mentioned in the live feed.  I'm glad to hear it will stay - hopefully for a long time.

As for MRF, I'm seeing a giant rock sculpture of a human head somewhere in the concept art that makes this like something other than Ozarkian in nature and more like a generic jungle raft ride.  Otherwise, I think it will make a great replacement for LR.  I never was a great fan of LR (and yes, I really want to revive the Dugan theme).

but I would love to see more of a WoF-style carousel or conveyor-style load on this ride.  They really haven't addressed this as far as I've seen, so I assume there will be a stop and load station.

The change to Rivertown makes me feel a little strange.  I guess it's something like going to China Town, but still being in Los Angeles.  I hope there is some great music chosen for the whole area - and appropriate, themed shows for the stages in the area.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 08:26:07 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 08:01:04 AM »
The previous thread seems to have glitched, so I began a new one.  If Shave can figure it out, we can go back to the original thread, but until then, here's the last thing I posted to kick us off:

It is interesting that the Riverfront Playhouse was mentioned in the live feed.  I'm glad to hear it will stay - hopefully for a long time.

As for MRF, I'm seeing a giant rock sculpture of a human head somewhere in the concept art that makes this like something other than Ozarkian in nature and more like a generic jungle raft ride.  Otherwise, I think it will make a great replacement for LR.  I never was a great fan of LR (and yes, I really want to revive the Dugan theme).

but I would love to see more of a WoF-style carousel or conveyor-style load on this ride.  They really haven't addressed this as far as I've seen, so I assume there will be a stop and load station.

The change to Rivertown makes me feel a little strange.  I guess it's something like going to China Town, but still being in Los Angeles.  I hope there is some great music chosen for the whole area - and appropriate, themed shows for the stages in the area.

So you saying the ribhouse will have fried rice, peking duck and lo mein..Hot Dog! (Whoops). A

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 04:02:56 PM »

So you saying the ribhouse will have fried rice, peking duck and lo mein..Hot Dog! (Whoops). A

I just thought it was weird having a "town" in the middle of a "city".  I'm not sure why Riverfront wasn't used; that rebranding probably could have been accomplished without a name change.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 07:55:04 PM »
How’s it any different than using Landing or Exposition? (Hint: It’s not)
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 09:30:02 PM »

Huge difference.  The latter two are often found in cities, while a town has its own local government (as does a city).  Cities and towns may be adjacent to one another, but are not a part of each other.

It may be a silly thing to point out, and I may be nitpicking, I'll concede that much.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 11:30:40 PM »

Huge difference.  The latter two are often found in cities, while a town has its own local government (as does a city).  Cities and towns may be adjacent to one another, but are not a part of each other.

It may be a silly thing to point out, and I may be nitpicking, I'll concede that much.

Oh you’re definitely nitpicking, there’s no doubt about that. 
If it’ll help you sleep at night, just think of Rivertown being unincorporated and under the jurisdiction of the Silver Dollar City township or borough
SWOOSH

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 09:52:41 AM »

I'd go for an Oriental restaurant at SDC!  I took an online survey a couple of nights ago and when they asked about food I commented I'd like to see a fish house (non buffet) and bring back the Mountain High Cream Pies!

I'm Your Huckleberry

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 10:18:23 AM »

Oh you’re definitely nitpicking, there’s no doubt about that. 
If it’ll help you sleep at night, just think of Rivertown being unincorporated and under the jurisdiction of the Silver Dollar City township or borough

I go where my talents lie.  :P

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 01:26:19 PM »
So last week I took a vacation down to Orlando for a few days and got to ride Infinity Falls. I will say that the build up to the drop can be pretty intimidating. The drop really wasn't much, but the whole elevator thing was pretty crazy. As I said previously, I think once people get over themselves and see it in person, most will have no problem with it. It is certainly going to be different than Lost River, but LR wasn't that mild of a ride either.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 03:40:18 PM »
So last week I took a vacation down to Orlando for a few days and got to ride Infinity Falls. I will say that the build up to the drop can be pretty intimidating. The drop really wasn't much, but the whole elevator thing was pretty crazy. As I said previously, I think once people get over themselves and see it in person, most will have no problem with it. It is certainly going to be different than Lost River, but LR wasn't that mild of a ride either.

Glad you got a chance to get out of town before school started..   hopefully weather was a little more friendly than it was here.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 07:48:09 PM »

That's pretty much how we felt about it as well.  It was a really neat ride, but really not that scary or intimidating.  We all thought the elevator was pretty neat, but if you've been on any of the rapids with a drop, they're not anywhere near as exciting or intense as you might think (like the ones on the Disney rapids rides).  I expect this to be about the same- it will be neat, fun, and something different, but I don't see it scaring people away.  It will be a much more fun and exciting draw to it.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 08:09:59 PM »
I've done River Quest and it's elevator and drop  at Phantasialand. My needle has not moved for this.

The area needed a quality flat.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 09:10:21 PM »

This isn’t Six Flags. 
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2019, 03:25:29 PM »

This isn’t Six Flags.

Still needs more flats, covered at that

My teens binged this thing like a new netflix show

https://youtu.be/CeN8BL2r2RE

Tivolis air race and condor were popular rides too.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 04:17:48 PM by chittlins »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 04:55:44 PM »

This isn’t Six Flags.

Still needs more flats, covered at that

My teens binged this thing like a new netflix show

https://youtu.be/CeN8BL2r2RE

Tivolis air race and condor were popular rides too.

Still...
This isn’t Six Flags. 
SWOOSH