Author Topic: American Express  (Read 1912 times)

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
American Express
« on: June 28, 2009, 09:01:42 PM »
Does anyone know when SDC stopped taking the American Express Card?  I called today to make reservations for a electric cart and was told that the park no longer takes AE.  You would think with it being a major card in the tourist industry that they wouldn't have made this decision.  The operator told me that there are a lot of disappointed guests.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: American Express
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 09:34:49 PM »
I know a lot of people have had big issues with AmEx's automatic chargeback policy when a customer reports a fraudulent charge. Basically, people have been abusing the crap out of this system, and for merchants to get their money back they have to confront each client in court. Obviously, it's much easier to drop them, which a vast number of merchants have.

Also, AmEx's transaction fee's have tended to be far higher than other credit companies, especially during this credit fiasco.

And as always, there are a lot of things that go on behind the scenes with credit companies. I'm sure SDC has a very good reason to drop AmEx, it obviously isn't easy for them.

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: American Express
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 10:17:01 PM »
Understandable.  I have always read that the average charge with the AE card is considerably higher than with other cards.  Maybe that has changed.  My point is that with every other major park operator taking all the majors, it just seems odd that SDC would opt to change.  Even with the fees and chargebacks, it is still a major travel card.  I would assume that it would be just another cost of doing business in the tourist industry.  I for one have stopped using credit cards and have increased the use of my AE charge card.