Author Topic: SDC’s 2022 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 62244 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC’s 2022 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2021, 11:20:52 AM »
One of our readers told me they saw a new fence and some construction markings at the park. If anyone sees anything, snap a photo for us! Could be surveying/marking for a 2023 project, given how slow they tend to go with these things.

I will probably try to head up there for the first weekend in October to see what I can see.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2021, 12:20:43 PM »
One of our readers told me they saw a new fence and some construction markings at the park.

Did they say what area of the park? Might be down this weekend.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2021, 02:36:46 PM »
Apparently they were riding the train and started seeing things after passing the "round house". People occasionally say they see things in that area, but it's part of the maintenance area so they are always moving things around back there. If there's stuff going on around the area where they have the pumpkins square and such, that could be interesting since we have speculated that at minimum that area will be expanded and improved for festivals if nothing else. I'm guessing they will eventually fit a ride in there somehow.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2021, 07:37:51 PM »
Take a look in Shad’s parking lot. You probably won’t be able to see much from train right now. Definitely can see from 76.  Maybe even top floor of firehouse
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2021, 07:41:00 AM »
Well I guess wet know what’s new for 2022 now.  Sounds like only the topmost shop (Gill Wire Jewelry) on the West side of Hill Street is salvageable as the others received heavy fire and smoke damage.  3 buildings (Heartland Home Furnishings, Pork Rinds, and Flossie’s Fried Fancies) are complete losses. Duplicating Lathe is gone as well, but isn’t considered a building.  Cowboy Jepps will be closed for the foreseeable future.  Gill Wire Jewelry was probably only saved because it has a pathway between it and Cowboy Jepps.  Bee-Transformed is fine.  As is Woodcarvers, Restrooms, Antique Photos and the Lumbercamp food court.  Interestingly enough both the American Plunge and Wildfire marques survived. 
SWOOSH

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2021, 12:11:39 PM »
It's a shame that's all gone. It could have been a lot worse, some of the trees right next to the woodcarvers have scorched marks on it showing that it could have reached that far.

I wonder if they will revitalize that area to where it's less confusing on which path to take to get to Plunge/Wildfire? I know people get extremely confused as to where to go in that area, even if both paths go to the same place.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2021, 01:57:35 PM »
UGH, the duplicating lathe was another priceless piece of vintage equipment that probably can't be replaced. That hurts more than loosing the furniture workshop. What a blow to old SDC.

I'm guessing they'll build back focused on restaurants and food stands. Wonder if there'll be much of anything for shopping space or anything else. I imagine they'll rework the whole area.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2021, 05:40:47 PM »
They could always use another t-shirt and plastic souvenir shop.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2021, 06:25:33 PM »
Ok update: Cowboy Jepps is apparently salvageable
SWOOSH

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2022, 08:26:00 AM »
Are there any rumors about what will be built back after the fire? Will they rebuild the furniture shop or will it be something else?

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2022, 08:29:23 AM »
Swoosh seems to always be the one in the know and he hasn't share anything here yet that I have seen....

Are there any rumors about what will be built back after the fire? Will they rebuild the furniture shop or will it be something else?

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2022, 09:01:39 PM »
They'll probably redo the whole area. The sign for American Plunge and the bridge beneath it were both destroyed (the bridge was probably from the weight of the fire trucks) so I can see them rebuilding the furniture shop and re-doing some of the paths leading to Wildfire/Plunge.

Speaking of American Plunge, it's getting some much needed maintenance on the queue line and drop structure.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2022, 10:15:11 PM »
^^ untrue. The sign and bridge were untouched. The fire trucks never left the pavement. However, the whole area has been cleared for future development.
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2022, 12:24:42 PM »
I just assumed that because they were gone when I went through the empty lot

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2022, 12:11:47 PM »
The sign and bridge were still there back in early December, but I wouldn't be surprised if they clear them this off season too just to make more room. I should have taken more photos...

AP used to have such a great theme, and that sign was well made. I miss the society of Ozarkan Daredevilry. Now it's just "the log flume".

I doubt they'll go too far, but honestly there's a of dead space back there that could be incorporated better. The waterfall is charming, and of course we like having a bit of woods left in the park, but from a conventional standpoint the space could be utilized better. I would put another restaurant in next to the waterfall at least.