Author Topic: Cutbacks keep coming  (Read 7389 times)

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
Cutbacks keep coming
« on: November 17, 2008, 10:05:51 AM »
I was comparing the 2008 operational calendar with the 2009 calendar and was surprised by the cutbacks. The Christmas festival this year has 41 operational days and in 2009 it is down to 29 days during this festival. Not only are we not getting a new ride but the number of days to visit is decreasing. I know the late hours added in the summer are appreciated, but I feel I am getting less value with a season pass. :'(

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Cutbacks keep coming
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 12:53:47 PM »
Well the economic situation for the entire country is just going to get worse over the next year, and less and less people will be visiting the park, so they have to do what's necessary.

Hopefully this will all be over in a couple of years and the park can continue its growth streak. 

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 01:33:26 PM »
I understand the need to make modifications based upon the economic outlook- but several other chains are offering reduced prices and added incentives to boost season pass sales- it appears except for a magazine subscription I am getting less hours and reduced benefits for the same price. I not convinced that "maintaining status" is the best long term approach for the park- other theme parks with added perks or rides will further erode the customer bases and mean any future recovery will take longer then necessary. In economic downturn the entertainment business has held up well and I am afraid management is loosing sight of the opportunities afforded now with the “lets sit and wait” approach that I am sensing.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 03:44:00 PM »
It may be easy for us to "armchair quarterback" this thing, but if we had the budgetary and financial responsibilities of HFE in front of us, it may not be as easy.  It's easy for us to spend HFE's money for them, but it's their money.  It's their enterprise.  In short, it's their business.

Of course, we're all hopeful they make the best decisions for SDC, and that those decisions will be favorable to the fans, as well.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 06:27:29 PM »
I wish they would cut back the days of KidsFest and leave An Old Time Christmas alone. :)

Of course I know KidsFest is their biggest money maker, so I don't think they would ever cut it back.  In fact, they'd probably be more likely to lengthen it and cut the number of days for Southern Gospel Picnic.

DocSpeleo

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 12:31:38 PM »
I'm wondering about the Moonlight Madness idea for next year... 2 weeks open at 9:30am close at 10pm..  So that makes a very long day for a cave guide! lol  Anyway my question is about costumes... will we have them on or will we be in street clothes?  I'm thinking with the timing and the idea "open 3 extra hours" that the Citizens will be dressed in theme.  Any ideas... we haven't (and probably wont until next season) heard any ideas about moonlight madness.  I'm still a little concerned about the NO SHOWS thing... I'd love to see some shows during the night.. something we wouldn't show during the day or have high school bands and choirs come and perform.. something...  I remember several people I talked to turning around and walking back out when i told them there were no shows.  I know the time is built around ride time but we need something for the adults that are bringing the kids.  I don't like other parks for that reason.. I want something else to do when the head is spinning from too many spinning rides.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 06:34:24 PM »
We have lost 18 days of the operating season but the days they cut are days with very low attendance.  I for one like the fact that the this park will cut the days that do not make a profit so they are not wasting their time and money.  Things like this are the reasons this park unlike others are not raising their season pass prices.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 07:05:17 PM by oklaSDCfan »
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 08:04:12 PM »
This is also just part of the usual fluctuations in the seasons. The park has always added or subtracted days based on the situation. In a year or two, the cut days will be back.

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 08:59:31 PM »
Most of the sites I have keep up with have kept prices the same or lowered- many with additional benefits to keep their customer base- which one are you aware that are raising prices?

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 09:05:56 PM »
My point is I have always had my season passes and travel from Oklahoma 5 of 6 times a year- other than brand loyalty- the reductions are far outweighing the benefits-if poor attendance this year cost us the river battle- what will be next if the company does not position itself with a strategy of growth and incentives as the battle for out theme park dollars will be fiercely contested in this economy. Regional parks that are strongly positioned stand to benefit as travelers look to stay closer to home.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 09:12:43 PM »
^That's true, but I don't think these cuts will last forever, even if the markets continue to dwindle. I don't think anyone expected the economy to sink this deep so quickly, so the park's strategy of holding back for a season just to keep an eye on things is very wise for the moment. After next year they'll be back to adding rides and perks, so don't be too disheartened yet.

Next year won't be a great year for the park, but it's still very, very much worth getting out there.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 09:51:14 PM »
FWIW, in the Cedar Fair chain, only Worlds of Fun, Kings Island and Carowinds are getting new coasters.  Kings Dominion is adding two flat rides and Valleyfair is adding a new wavepool.  No other park in the chain is receiving anything new.  There will be some new shows and a few new HAUNTS come fall, but I think it is important to show that HFEC is not the only chain cutting back -- granted the parks that had the best attendance growth this past year are the ones getting the new toys.

SWOOSH

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 11:14:33 PM »
I have to believe that you need to spend money in order to make money.  SDC has totally over-reacted.  Perhaps, most importantly, SDC has reminded visitors of their screw up by placing a huge hole in the middle of the park

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 07:41:19 AM »
-if poor attendance this year cost us the river battle- what will be next if the company does not position itself with a strategy of growth and incentives as the battle for out theme park dollars will be fiercely contested in this economy.

If you remember from another thread poor attendance is not what killed the River Battle for this season.  It is the Euro exchange.  Since the Euro and the American $ have shifted so much it has almost doubled the price of the ride. 

Update...   I talked to my management connection at SDC.  He told me that the River Battle can come off of hold as quickly as it went on.  He said that the real reason for the hold is that it is a Preston & Barbieri ride from Italy and the Euro exchange rate is a mess right now.  That is why the cost has jumped so much.

“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 09:29:10 AM »
I believe there is more to the story than the Euro rate- using the following link over the last two months the U.S. dollar has gone form .69 euros to .79- the dollar is current enjoying strength against the Euro- as most bids are given on a 3 days out basis- management could lock in a quote now while the dollar is up. I also looked at the value in the middle of the summer when the ride was announced and in June is was a rate of .64 compared to the rate of .79 now- the dollar is stronger than then the ride was announced.

http://www.oanda.com/convert/fxhistory