Author Topic: Ride The Ducks Boat Capsizes in Storm  (Read 32369 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Ride The Ducks Boat Capsizes in Storm
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2018, 07:05:36 PM »
I notice that the big news, CNN, Wall Street, Sacremento and others all seem to get this special "information", But yet the locals even KCstar isnt reporting it..?  Yes the details will all come out, good or bad, in the next few weeks..

But unfornately it wont be news worthy 4 or 5 days from now..

The next big "news" will be when they get the duck out of the water, after that the new will be somewhere else

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2018, 07:12:31 PM »
The woman who survived out of the family of 11 lost her husband and I believe 2-3 of her kids which I think was all of her kids.  That us so unbelievable something like that can happen.  The big talk yesterday and today was how the captain told them not to put on their life jackets.  I have a feeling if they did, more people would have died because when the boat went down, if they had them on they would have tried to float up and would have pinned them under the canopy, which is one of the big reason those things are a death trap.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2018, 12:13:45 PM »
A family of 4 from Arkansas lost 2 members.  The Mom didn't go....sister made it but the Dad and brother didn't.  Just heartbreaking :'(

Heartbreaking indeed.  Here is what the church posted - a request from the minister.  It really brings things home.

Please pray for the Smith Family of the Osceola church of Christ. Last night Steve (the father and husband) and Lance (his son) died in the tragic Duck accident in Branson, Missouri. Steve was a deacon at Osceola, and I had just baptized Lance, who was 15, late last year. This past Sunday I finally was able to get Lance to do a devotional and break out his shell! Attached is one of the last photos of him I know exists. He was like a son to me, and I will miss him greatly. He was the perfect example of humility and compassion! He cared about everyone. My heart breaks, but I know where they are, and I know that I will see them again!

I hope some of this brings peace to their family, friends, and the rest of us who look along with astonishment at the personal tragedy experienced by the surviving mother and daughter.

There was an article about this family on the front page of the Arkansas Democrat Gazette. The mother was at Branson Landing and called the father to say he was late in picking her up. He answered, explained the situation, and said it didn't look good. He said his goodbyes, told his wife he loved her and the kids, and the phone went dead. Mother said both kids were good swimmers. Daughter who survived has a concussion due to being thrown onto boat deck during rescue.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2018, 10:22:26 PM »
Ok.  I think that there needs to be a permanent memorial created for these victims.

Suggestions of location and design (what it should look like)
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2018, 06:59:37 AM »
Ok.  I think that there needs to be a permanent memorial created for these victims.

Suggestions of location and design (what it should look like)

Good Idea
A large memeorial stoned with a Heart and Cross carved on it,  list of names, date of accident. Short decription of what happened for future generations,,
Would be nice if HFEC would allow them to place it in what I call the "garden" area on the way down to the Belle.   
Be nice if there was a view of the water.   
Should be placed off to the side, Off the main sidewalk, But easy to see or locate,
BUt yet NOT a main attraction,
And not take away from the showboat expierence.

IF not in that area, Maybe over by the Dewey BUilding/Park.     That may be a better spot anyway

As I am typing this, Yes, the Dewey area really would be a better area..

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2018, 09:03:58 AM »
I agree with the heart, the cross would need to be checked on with the families.  If they include a description of what happened it will need to be “Disney-fied” a bit. 
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2018, 09:08:17 AM »
  If they include a description of what happened it will need to be “Disney-fied” a bit.

Absolutely, Brief description...

I agree with the heart, the cross would need to be checked on with the families.

Maybe a heart with a small memorial type of poem in it?

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2018, 11:36:46 AM »
Is it sad that the first visible things that popped up at the raising of the vehicle were a bunch of orange life vests?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2018, 12:33:30 PM »
With the roof on it, the life jackets probably wouldn't have helped, sadly. They just would have trapped anyone wearing one against the roof when it was sinking.

I did notice though that when they raised it, it looked like the roof had split open.  I wonder if that might be a possible solution for the future in cases like this, where the roof could be hinged with releases where if it starts to sink it could open to allow people to get out.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2018, 02:47:21 PM »
As I understand it, the roof was "released".  Maybe that's why it appears to be split.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2018, 03:37:30 PM »
I was thinking about solutions for safety and wondered if they could make the roof detachable and buoyant.  Just release the roof from the frame (and push it away if possible).  I can't image those vehicles ever being used again without them being open air with life jackets required.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 03:39:09 PM by HumphreyHawk »
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2018, 09:43:51 PM »
Here is the story on the sunken DUKW which was raised today. I agree the first thing which was very apparent and damning was the fact that nearly all the life jackets were intact and still mounted to the rack of the vessel. http://www.ky3.com/content/news/PICTURES-Sunken-duck-boat-raised-from-Missouri-lake-488897941.html

The lake depth here was also stated to have been 80+ feet.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2018, 09:54:50 PM »
More updates from KY3:

Ripley's has offered to pay funeral expenses and medical expenses.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Ripleys-Entertainment-releases-statement-Monday-about-duck-boat-investigation-488895961.html

Also, it is up to the captain to make the call about weather and the tour.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Former-employees-say-to-go-or-not-to-go-on-water-is-captains-call-488940441.html

I saw video from another DUCK on Table Rock during the same storm; it was able to get back to shore. Turns out there was a third DUCK out during the storm but it was on Taneycomo.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2018, 01:21:57 AM »
Here is the story on the sunken DUKW which was raised today.

Is it actually a DUKW, or one of the modern tour vehicles?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2018, 06:43:27 AM »
It actually sank in 40 feet of water, landed on its wheels and rolled "downhill" to 80 feet depth. (that is what they are saying)

Yes, this is a real DUKW, not a copy..   
My understanding they are all originals, with different modifictions..  engine, transmission, drive systems, bilge pumps and so on